Sign in to follow this  
sarabjeet

Audi, MINI Among Those with Highest Engine Failure Rates

its an old article but nevertheless eye opening. Dates back to Jan 2013.

"In a poll conducted by Warranty Direct , the company studied its claims data to compile the study, with Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes-Benz topping the lists of automakers with the most reliable engines. Honda had an engine failure of 0.29 percent, while Toyota came in second with 0.58 percent. Mercedes had one engine failure for every 119 engines, a failure rate of 0.84 percent.

It should be noted that the study was performed in the UK and so does not include data on the Big Three (Chrysler, Ford and GM), while it does include data on cars from automakers not offered in North America, including MG Rover, which topped the list for the most engine failures with a 7.88-percent failure rate. Audi was second worst with a 3.71 percent while MINI was in third with 2.51 percent. It’s also worth noting that BMW was in seventh place and Volkswagen came ninth from the bottom.

The study conducted had 36 automakers on it, with Audi, BMW, MINI, and Volkswagen all finishing in the bottom 10."

Source www.autoguide.com

I guess indirect injection & natural aspiration do have their benefits as can be observed from contemporary japanese petrol engined cars. Although direct injection has been adopted off late by honda and toyota it remains to be seen if DSG's gear boxes and turbo charging would be implemented or not.

Do agree, TFSi and direct enjection engines do end up with all sorts of problems.

If we do look at stat's petrol engines in their turbo or supercharged avtars are more prone to failure. Is it related to them being made lighter and lighter ?

I feel it has nothing to do with weight of these modern aluminium engines (as against old school cast iron petrol engines). Failure i guess is more out of the engine/cylinders fiddled with all sorts of sensors to match emissions leading to more loss than gain. Modern fuel pumps and new gen scroll type turbochargers have fine tolerance levels and using them beyond their scope (vis a vis a N.A engine) i;e; not following what the car manual says very strictly like idling time, service intervals etc is what makes them more vulnerable to failure IMHO.

For eg the oil heating up in the Dsg's of Vw & Skoda due to our humid&hot operating temperatures and also because the aam junta/drivers would never actually follow what the manual says leading to premature wear and tear of mechanical parts.

Edited by vr.46

No wonder i had read an article in UK magazine ,All theTOP 4 trouble free and low maintenence cars are still JAPANESE.Thanks to uk magazines they didnt add jaguar & Rangerovers on top 4.