saikibryan

Need help choosing a car !

Hello everybody !

I am looking for a new car, within a budget of 15L.

I need a SUV/C-SUV/Car with a ground clearance of min 180mm...

4WD/AWD will be welcomed more !

I have test driven XUV500, Yeti, Ecosport, Duster, Scorpio.

I drive mostly in the highways...sometimes some vacations where there's no road at all !

XUV500: Liked the car for its cruising ability...I drove for 20 kms.

Yeti: Brilliant ! Only rear space is the complain !

Ecosport: Hatch on high heels !

Duster: Shitty interiors !

Scorpio: Old school...but solid !

Please help me choosing my new car...

Regards,

Saiki

The XUV could be a good choice because they are coming up with the new version now but Im sure prices have gone up. Since you did not like the Duster why not wait till next month and check out the Nissan Terrano? I know its a rebadged Duster but personally I found the interiors a notch better than the Renault.

Any reason why you havent considered the Safari Storme?

Safari storme should have been a good choice ! But long equipments list of XUV put me into dilemma...

Also they come with niggles ! :(

Duster/Eocsport/Terrano... Less space than those bigger rivals !

Regards,

Saiki

You some times I feel the les electronics the better. i would suggest do take a look at the Safari Storme. I agree the XUV is giving a lot of goodies but it is longer sold at the price it was launched at.

The yeti is a brilliant car! It's a gem on the highway and can handle bad roads quite well. In fact, it handles poor sections o well that it performs reasonably well off the road for a soft-roader! If you can look past Skoda's service, I suggest you buy the Yet

i.

Most of your options can be struck off just because of lack of 4*4 option.

So essentially, for me, its a toss up between the Scorpio , Safari and Yeti and the later and personally i would have gone for the Safari .

If you like it gimmicky , go for the Explorer Edition , dont confuse it with the old one , its a whole new vehicle now.

Reasons apart from its huge SPACE are the customized cycle carrier, a cargo basket for added storage space and a roof-mounted Canopylets for turning the off-roader into a make-shift home in the wilderness.

Give it another spin.

The Safari Storme is a much capable animal, sadly still in its old skin. That was a critical mistake by Tata, not changing the exterior styling after doing so many substantial modifications. As for niggles, even Mahindra is not niggle-free. Frankly, there is no proper SUV sold in India for that price bracket. To get something better, we have to shell out unnecessary money just for the sake of customs duties and other taxes.

If no new vehicle is befitting your expectations, try the second-hand market... used Mitsubishi Pajero is still a formidable workhorse, if you can live with the old styling.

Yeti is a brilliant car! Whether be it highways or city traffic, its a pleasurable ride! I drove my cousin's xuv 500 which now a year old and 12000 kms on the odo, i must say it was pathetic! The most annoying part was the whole "cheap" feeling inside the cabin. Hell lot of vibrations in the pedals, steering behaving abnormally, and the positioning of the gear lever is weird!

Safari storme is a gud option too although it didn't get the same fan following as the dicor. There is a review by autocar of a 6 month old storme to check the overall condition after being used for 6 months , do check that.

Tata Safari Storme explorer edition will be a perfect choice. The new Safari has better 4x4 ability and also it is very much stable on plane roads. But there is a huge body roll while taking turns.

Mahindra XUV 500 is loaded with features and creature comforts. Looks and design are upmarket. 4x4 ability is okay. But there are a lot of niggles. Body roll is less compared to Safari.

In my opinion, test drive both of these beasts.

Happy buying !!!

Since you are open to cars as well with a minimum ground clearance of 180mm, think you should check out the Fiat Linea as well. If you want to stick to SUVs then the XUV with the all new AWD system would be your best bet.

@Saiki

since you need a flow blown SUV with 4x4 then I would suggest you to look for Safari Storme. It is a well structured product with good space features and fly by shift 4x4. Personally, I would say Storme is more niggle free than XUV. It is more stable than Scoprio on highways and new suspension setup has earned kudos from all experts in auto sector. However it is just the old name (or rather bad fame) that makes this good product go waste. But there is no better product than this, Scorpio (which is pretty old) comes next one closer to it.

On the other hand, XUV is going to come a lower spec variant but I doubt that would be 4x4 because 4x4 is currently available in W8 variant only so looks like this is going to continue.

I would suggest you to go and check the Storme and get the feel of it.

Edited by Sstar

Hi,

I think you should wait for the Nissan Terrano I know it's not a 4 wheel drive but it will manage most of the off road surfaces , I own a eco sport but I drove a duster recently through some really bad roads it behaved superbly ,the Tata safari can have reliability issues in the long run(just a thought )

Try the Nissan and let me know.

Try to find second hand yeti 4x4 elegance in the used car market their price have fallen down due to launch of Duster and Ecosport.

XUV5OO is a great vehicle till the time you are bored of its features and have niggling problems. I would prefer W6 if I were to go in for a new one. The Storme is good and much better than the older Safari but again I would wait for TATA to launch 4x4 in lower trim to make it more reliable as I don't trust electronic gadgets of TATA and M&M.

Hi Sai,

if your budet is 15L i would suggest you to look for a premium sedans such as cruze, Laura and Jetta. But if you like SUV a lot I would pick the old school from your list cause it is also priced quite right and is updated to some level (not totally behind with the equipments)and also very solid while compared to others.

Hello folks !

Test drove the safari ! I must admit it's at par with XUV500 if not better !

Body roll is still there...but fantastic ride quality.

But I thought of something else...

Planning to get a Skoda Rapid and a Mahindra Thar !

Will upgrade the Thar in couple of months with every possible accessories...

Now how that would sound...?

Regards,

Saiki

From Safari to Thar :huh: . Thar is a good off roader but with least features. I suggest you stick to the Safari Storm. Safari storm will give you lots of features and its ride quality is good with same off-road ability as the Thar. B) B)

I would have chosen Xuv as u said you drive mostly on highways. it is . the best highway cruiser. get on a highway, shift on to the 6 th gear, set on cruise control and relax............