Sign in to follow this  
sibasis_FIAT

Fiat Palio Stile slx 1.1 shock absorber problem

Dear Friends,

I have a Fiat Palio Stile slx 1.1 petrol driven car. From last few days I am facing unusual sound from my front shock absorbers. There is no unusualness with the ride and ability of bump absorbing by the shock absorbers. But the sound coming is very irritating. My friends suggested that, just replacing the shock absorber bushes will do the job.

I visited my mechanic, he says the whole shock absorber assembly needs to be replaced and it may cost approximately Rs 20 000 /-.

I am confused whether just to replace the bush or to do a complete replacement of shock absorbers.

Friends and experts please guide me.

Thank you

post-12123-0-02435500-1378751334_thumb.j

Alright first tell us how many years old the car is and how many km's has it travelled ? Also tell us about the road condition in your area.

The car is 5 years old and has covered 44000 Km. My regular route has got beautiful roads. But recently twice or thrice I have taken it for long drives where road condition was not as good. I have carefully driven but still many times i couldn't avoid potholes and rough patches. Around 30 - 40km of bad roads I have encountered during my recent drives.

Can you tell what type of sound it is ?

Is it a clunk or a thud sound !

or it would be better if you can upload a video of that sound for better diagnosis.

BTW, came across this at fb, might help you,

post-67-0-25465300-1378831881.jpg

The sound is similar to thud type. Also this sound is coming sharply on partially uneven roads. But while I am negotiating any humps, this sound doesn't comes so sharp. It is not synchronous with the road conditions. Also sometimes it feels as if the body is floating even when the road is straight.

I will try to upload the video soon.

Palio care from Fiat, this is indeed a relief. This seems to be the best option. Thank you Doctor !!!

The first sign of suspension overhaul is to press the car on the corners of the car and see how fast the car bounces back . If it bouces slower then the damper is on its last legs . Thud sounds come if the suspension is compressed fully and cannot take any more movement . For a 5 year car and 44k I don't think it needs a new shock absorber but if the rubber seals of the shock absorber are cracked then they can leak oils and hence lead to failure.

Check the bounce test and reply.

Edited by rssh

Dear Friends,

I have a Fiat Palio Stile slx 1.1 petrol driven car. From last few days I am facing unusual sound from my front shock absorbers........................... I visited my mechanic, he says the whole shock absorber assembly needs to be replaced and it may cost approximately Rs 20 000 /-.

I am confused whether just to replace the bush or to do a complete replacement of shock absorbers....................................Thank you

I feel you should just try by replacing just bush. The Thus sound should go. I faced similar problem in the front right side of suspension.

Dear Friends,

Finally I have repaired my palio and understood the problem thoroughly. I am very much thankful to all of you above for your support and advices.

Details of my repair bill,

1. New shock absorber mountings (both LHS and RHS) = 2000 /-

2. Front RHS Suspension struts = 2800 /-

3. Lower control arm (both RHS and LHS) = 6000 /-

4. Centre silencer pipe = 3500 /-

5. Engine oil change (Castrol Magnatec 5w40) = 3000 /- (3L)

6. Engine oil filter, air filter = 1000 /-

7. Labour charges = 1500 /-

I am confused about the engine oil as it is a little costly. But my mechanic assured me that it is best for my engine. Please suggest and also please cross check the cost, whether it is reasonable.

Thank you