Sign in to follow this  
arreddyy

Hyundai Grand i10 1.1 crdi test drive

post-7692-0-39762100-1378965864.jpg

I was waiting to get my hands on the newly launched Grand i10 ! Finally got a chance yesterday. To start with, I really liked the stance, the presence of car. All modern Hyundai are smart, this looks the most matured. The headlamps are contemporary, the grill is the focal point, the face looks similar to Eon, but without the quirkiness. Move to the side and here you will notice, that the Grand has grown bigger compared to i10. The shoulder line looks smart, there is no unnecessary fussiness. Move to the back, this is best designed part, it looks so fresh ! All these years, right from the first gen santro (barring Xing) it felt like the designer forgot to design the rear, but this time the slab like rear is gone.

post-7692-0-11472000-1378965870.jpg

Move inside and you will be greeted with smart airy cabin. The use of colors is good, and as always, the quality of materials is A grade for its class. Front seats are fairly comfortable and adequate in size. They are certainly not sofa-like as in Swift, but still adequate in terms of bolstering. Move to the rear bench and you are greeted with plenty of legroom. As in every Hyundai, thigh support is on lower side, still better than the likes of Verna. Where Grand will score over its nemesis is the use of space, the roomy and airy cabin. That's its selling point.

Crank up the engine, and there is the diesel clatter! The 3-pot is smooth, but not the most refined, when you compare it with similarly priced four cylindered. On the move its not sprightly, there is a bit of turbo lag say up to 1500 rpm. Its not as easy to drive as Figo, neither it goes berserk like Swift, its more like middle of the road.

What has improved is the ride and handling department! The mushy feeling in the rear bench is gone. There is more feel to the steering, it weighs up as speed builds up, a huge improvement over last generation.

Overall its a really good product, its got a nice feel to it. Yes it misses out on a few points, torque figures should have been a little bit more, the headlamps should have had a more character. But these certainly are not deal breakers, one can live with it. Thumbs up to Hyundai!

Hey

Thanks for this report. I am quite impressed with the Grand really. Its a thorough modern hatch and Hyundai as always equips it with all the goodies possible. If it were upto me I would replace the old model with this one rather than selling two simultaneously but Hyundai wants presence in all the hatch segments. Did you get any pictures?

@VR.46 Ride was pretty sorted out. Neither mushy nor overtly stiff. Pretty much balanced, with some softer edge.

@AMG1 Sorry no pics. due to time constraint and thank you for adding some in the post.

@PrancingHorse Thank you. Secondly, I'm with their strategy, it gives them larger audience considering the large price bracket i10 & grand will cater.

Edited by arreddyy

And yes, one important point I forgot to mention: Sound insulation. This car has supreme sound insulation, best in class. The only deterrent was tyre noise. The doors are not heavy, they have the typical Japanese / Korean feel. Very good NVH levels.

I expect the 0-100 dash in about 15 seconds , with better 20-60 numbers compared to competition.

The 1 gb of storage is really a good option. I dislike the tailamps of grand as they are quite basic. Overall it is good. Rear ac vents are something which also not in Verna. Hyundai's always get their suspension towards the soft side and result in a boat like ride. But as arreddyy said it has a bettersuspension, this can make the car better

Since I own the i20 CRDi I can appretiate the this car has 1 cylinder less than mine , though the turbo lag is reduced it felt out of breath above 100kmph with 4 people. The suspension tuning is the better one out there in the segmen tI would say next to the Punto/ Figo. All said and done the Asta o is fully loaded and come with ABS and airbags but a premium of almost 1.2 lakhs in this segment is not gonna win then a trophy given that the BEAT D costs only 60k more than the petrol one Hyundai is really milking the diesel motor.

Anyway I though this car would be a good addon to my i20 but we bought our Asta i20 CRDi for 7.9 onroad Mumbai in 2009 which is the same as the Grand i10 for a 3 cylinder engine Asta o with same features ,1 cylinder less and less space I don't think its a VFM and Hyundai is marketing this as intro price is really dissappointing.

I would also way in my voice in the same lines as said by rssh. Price point of view, the Grand i10 has gone on the higher side of it. Considering 5.23 L for Era diesel and Beat D LT which is fully loaded minus safety features....people should move more towards later.

I expected the Grand vs. Beat debate coming up. But I think Hyundai is squarely aiming at Swift as i20 is priced on the higher side. Beat is no competition, monthly sales clearly depict it. Also Grand is more spacious, powerful and better equipped.

Interiors look fresh & inviting for a change. Hyundai improving on Ride & Handling is good news. Engine clatter & 3 Pot mill will deter buyers, keep in mind Hyundai did not have great history with 3Pot diesels. Going to TD this car...

To me, it's a little overpriced for the engine options it offers.

For an additional 20k, we can get a Swift P and an additional 35k will get you an equivalent Swift D.

Apart from some additional features of i10 Grand, Swift is obviously a better product anyday.

To me, it's a little overpriced for the engine options it offers.

For an additional 20k, we can get a Swift P and an additional 35k will get you an equivalent Swift D.

Apart from some additional features of i10 Grand, Swift is obviously a better product anyday.

I won't call Swift a better product because clearly the Grand is excellent in every other place were Swift lack and its just that the 1.1 D is a bit small for highway drive. Also IMO the Swift is way overpriced but great brand trust and brand building has people still queing to buy one. BTW Grand and Swift P I will buy the Grand as a family car (which is the scene for a middle class guy). The Swift is no wear as interior rich / airly as the Grand but it has better dynamics.

The Swift is no wear as interior rich / airly as the Grand but it has better dynamics.

Yes, I was comparing mechanicals of Swift and i10 Grand and obviously, be it petrol/diesel, in both Swift excels.

As always, Hyundai has been able to play it's card of giving feature rich interiors well.

Personally for me, mechanicals of a car matter more than it's features/interiors.

In the form of Grand, Hyundai has given Swift a real competitor. Altough Swift is a drivers car and has better engines, Grand scores up in the form better interiors and space. In city, performance hardly matters, but comfort does.