Sign in to follow this  
freakyskull

Spy shots: BMW 3 Series GT testing in India. Will it be a smart buy?

Ammm.. Guys i would really like to hear your opinion with regards to the following:

One point of view:

BMW 5 Series GT hasn't tasted as much success (here in India) as any of the other models on BMW's line-up.

I don't have the exact statistics to support what i am saying!!

What i am trying to say is, on the streets of Mumbai, i've seen a lot of 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, X1s, X3s and X5s. But the 5 Series GT is as rare as the X6!!

In such a scenario does it really makes sense to invest truck loads of money into the R&D of the BMW 3 Series GT?

Because, i personally don't think that it would set the sales charts on fire!

Considering the current situation of BMW 5 Series GT:

BMW 5 Series GT 530d is priced at approx. 88.70 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom, New Delhi),

BMW X5 30d is priced at approx. 78.20 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom, New Delhi) &

BMW 7 Series 730Ld is priced at approx. 92.90 Lakhs (Ex-Showroom, New Delhi).

If i have that sort of money and if i required a vehicle for rough terrain (from BMW only), i would opt for the X5!!

Which would result in a saving of approximately 10 Lakhs, over the cost of the 5 Series GT.

Or if i needed a luxurious vehicle with good amount of legroom, i would opt for the 7 Series by spending approximately 5 Lakhs (approximately 5%) over the cost of 5 Series GT!!

Maybe this is the reason why many 5 Series GTs aren't seen on the streets!!

And it might turnout to be similar in case of the 3 Series GT!!

Contradictory point of view:

Maybe it is that BMW is developing the 3 Series GT car for the international market and the guys at BMW are thinking that, by making minor tweaks to the car they would add another model to their line up?

Hence creating something like a niche segment for themselves.

But all the R&D expenses.. Would they or would they not result in reduced profits?

What do you guys have to say? I would really like to hear from you all!! Thank you very much.

The 3 GT is coming here as a CBU. That itself will make the GT pretty pricey. I agree with you about the 5 GT, because hardly any were sold. BMW is surely not looking at volumes with the 3 GT but more as probably a lifestyle product. It wont sell much for sure.

Hi i own a 5series GT,

Let me tell you its horrible car ,

I had bought for my dad for only reason it was Taller so he felt comfortable getting in and getting out of car And Had seperate good seating arrangement,

After 5-10000km, He was back in INNOVa ,Reason is sitting in back seats is very uncomfortable ,Reason is found is BMWs are driver Focussed Not Passenger oriented.

Due to Runflat tyres adds to the Vows,

As this car windows are frameless Highway speeds Make lots of incabin noises.

Hi i own a 5series GT,

Let me tell you its not a great car ,

I had bought for my dad for only reason it was Taller so he felt comfortable getting in and getting out of car And Had seperate good seating arrangement,

After 5-10000km, He was back in INNOVa ,Reason is sitting in back seats is very uncomfortable ,Reason is found is BMWs are driver Focussed Not Passenger oriented.

Due to Runflat tyres adds to the Vows,

As this car windows are frameless Highway speeds Make lots of incabin noises.

As the rearsplit tailgate its heavier and eats into the Fuel in contrast to other BMW fuel effeicient category.