bharatsir8086

Horrible BMW Ownership Experience!!! Please Help!

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I purchased a BMW 520d from Navnit Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, on 5th Jan 2013.

The Car is now 6 months old, and is driven around 1500 Kms.

My ownership experience has been utterly miserable and would like to share it with you all.

List of problems:

1> Within three weeks of ownership, the car developed a cracking noise from its suspension. Upon complaining, BMW acknowledged that it was a "faulty suspension" and hence replaced it.

2> Within 1.5 months, the car remotes started acting up! All of a sudden, both remotes would completely refuse to work. At times the car would just not unlock. Even if I used the manual key to unlock it, the engine would refuse to start. Upon being left alone for a couple of days, they would start working again. It reached a point where, every time I approached my car, I would pray in my mind, "God, I hope it starts"! Upon complaining several times, BMW Service centre repaired it.

3> Around mid May, the brakes of the car started making some weird noise. The car was sent to the service centre and they repaired it.

4> NOW THE NIGHTMARE. The car came back from Navnit motors service centre on around 22nd may, after brakes problem got sorted. THAT NIGHT I TOOK THE CAR FOR A SPIN WITH MY WIFE AND ANOTHER COUPLE. I WAS ON THE BANDRA WORLI SEA LINK (LONG OPEN STRETCH OF ROAD), AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKES FAILED!!! A MSG CAME ON THE SCREEN SAYING “LOW OIL PRESSURE, BRAKES COMPROMISED (OR SO)”. NEEDLESS TO SAY, WE WERE AT A HIGH SPEED. THE BRAKES WERE BARELY WORKING AT 10% OF THEIR ACTUAL STRENGTH. FORTUNATELY, THE ROAD AHEAD WAS CLEAR SO I HAD AMPLE TIME TO STOP THE CAR. I DROVE MY CAR BACK HOME AT CRAWLING SPEED, WITH ALL FOUR OF US IN THE CAR THANKING OUR STARS THAT WE ARE STILL ALIVE!

The next day, I called up Navnit BMW, and got my car towed back.

They took about 3 days to respond with what had actually gone wrong with the car.

Their reply was that THERE WAS A FAULT IN THE ENGINE, AND SO THE ENTIRE ENGINE HAD TO BE REPLACED. THEY SAID THE ENGINE HAD TO BE IMPORTED FROM GERMANY AND SO IT WOULD TAKE A FEW DAYS, AND SO THEY GAVE ME A LOANER CAR TO BE USED IN THE MEANTIME.

THEY TOOK 50 DAYS (FIFTY!!!) to return back my car.

During all this time, I wrote several times to BMW India as well as BMW Germany, saying that BMW should accept their moral responsibility, and acknowledge that they have given me a FAULTY car, and hence not just replace my engine but REPLACE THE CAR INSTEAD!!!

But all my letters fell to deaf ears and the only response I got from either of them was to have patience.

50 days!!! Seriously! BMW thinks they can take people for a royal ride.

In those days, two of my EMIs have gone through! Imagine paying for a car that you cant even see around you!

In none of my letters did I ask BMW for any sort of monetary compensation. All that I wanted was something that I paid for! A reliable high quality product! I guess I was asking for too much from BMW.

After all the ordeal I faced with the car, after putting my and my families life to risk, after making me wait agonizingly for 50 days for my car to come back, after making me pay two EMIs for a car that is lying in BMW garage, all they did was leave me with no choice but to accept my car back. As a good will gesture, they offered me dvd screens for the back seats, which I really am not at all interested in and hope they take it back!!!! Aah, and free door mats. I think that’s what BMW thinks of Indian customers. I am sure if all this happened in Europe or US, BMW would have to shell out a lot as compensation. But here in India, they think the can dump their faulty products and simply get away with it!

If that’s not the case, then WHY WAS I GIVEN A CAR WITH A FAULTY SUSPENSION, FAULTY BRAKES, FAULTY ENGINE, FAULTY REMOTES???

No answers from them, just kept asking me to have patience!

I was promised, in writing and orally by BMW CRMs from western region as well as all India, that the car, after being repaired, will be thoroughly tested and will be fault free. So much so that, one of them even said, “I will resign if there is any other fault in your car!”

The car was delivered to my place two days back. At first, I didn’t know how to relate to the car, but with a heavy heart I thought lets move on.

The VERY NEXT DAY, I REALISED, THE USB PORT IS NO LONGER WORKING.

This is HOW DISGUSTING BMW INDIA IS!!!

I AM COMPLETELY ASHAMED OF BUYING THIS CAR, AND AM SO SO DISGUSTED WITH MYSELF FOR MAKING THIS CHOICE!!!

I feel so CHEATED!!!!

HAVE COMPLAINED TO BMW AND THEY SAID THEY ARE SENDING THEIR STAFF TO MY PLACE TOMORROW TO “REPAIR” IT.

I hope by sharing this with you all I make you aware of the “standards” of BMW INDIA (or the lack of it)!

Every detail mentioned above is true and is documented with both, BMW and myself.

If there is any way you can help me get justice, I would be eager to know that.

Dealer: BMW Navnit, Andheri, Mumbai.

People Incharge (and constantly contacted):

Mr Laukik (Service Advisor, BMW Navnit)

Ms Sonali Bandivadekar(Service CRM, BMW Navnit)

Mr Ravi Bhagwat (BMW NAVNIT CRM)

Mr Sameer Jain (BMW Western India CRM)

Mr Karan Seth (BMW India Customer Support)

Mr Stephan Rausch (BMW India Director – After Sales).

Post Edited

Mod Note: Sharing personal details & contact info. is not allowed on the Board.

I am feeling sorry for you. The brake issue is i think for improper brake fluid. You had bought such a big budget car, you should care for it, then the car will care. I suggest you ask your BMW dealer for a exchange. But not all BMWs are like yours. If their all cars would be like that then i don't think BMW would be such a reputed company. Isn't it??

After reading your post, I would suggest you to approach media (CNBC "Pehredaar"). I think they will help you. And BMW India will not like to spoil their image as it will seriously affect their sales.

My friend please don't take me wrong.

For god sake you own a BMW and not a tata, if you still wait to drag there ass to court then it will be extremely disappointing.

Dude make sure they compensate you for all the agony, stress and of course the car.

thx guys for your support... i have approached cnbc "pehredar" and they did air my issue on national television on 31st august 2013. inspite of that BMW has not budged. I have also written several times to "ASK AUTOCAR ANYTHING" to print my issue in their magazine. hope it finds its way there so that all the auto-enthusiasts in India who want to buy a BMW know what kind of after-sales support they are in for. thx for your support guys... i will keep fighting till justice is served!

The agencies (TV show , Print media) you have contacted up untill now have been rendered toothless.

Now its time to Approach a consumer court in your area.

No point in waiting for a response from then if you feel there is none coming based on your interactions.

They not budging even after you problem showcased on a national tv channel means either they just dont care or they have a rock solid defence in place for themselves arising out of any future litigation from your side.

That notwithstanding you need to stick to your story , hire a good lawyer for yourself and just go for the kill.

Waiting this long can work against you .

Be prepared for a long drawn battle as such companies/ corporations have a dedicated legal unit which are good in what they do.

When you had written on this board earlier we all had given you a couple of points that you may use in your legal filing.

As they say, its not always about winning but the satisfaction from the fact that you tried.

I 100% agree with librankur!!

Drag them to the court, but be prepared for a lengthy battle!

You haven't purchased your car from a small unreliable carmaker.

BMW is a brand recognised worldwide!! And you've spent your hard earned money in order to buy the 520d!!

Don't let them take you for a ride!

This is really dissapointing. Bmw products are best when you see them. In reality they seem to be different. There are many complaints of bmw's after sales serice in india. And they are only with bmw, not other germans. Now you surely have to drag them to the court or get compensated with a whole new car as they have given you a faulty product that has many problems. You may take help of some bmw owners on this page. Bes of luck!

Dear sir

I was shocked ,annoyed to read your thread.

One thing is sure if you go to court ,it will be waste of time and money.As for faulty engine they have replaced it,faulty brakes -repaired,, and so on.My sincear request is sell that car and go for Merck..I understand the economic losses ..but still .Close the matter go ahead in life.Out of site is out of mind.Think differently..move ahead..Star is waiting for you.

This is my thinking.Always pay for own mistakes.Apology for saying so,I mean it.

My fight for justice continues.

My repeated requests to replace my faulty car with a new one have fallen on deaf ears.

BMW India head, Mr Stephen Rausch told me on our telephone conversation to consider my case as an "UNLUCKY ONE" and accept what has happened with a pinch of salt. He thinks a mere extension of warranty will suffice for BMW’s negligence and poor quality standards, which not only put our lives at risk but also made us suffer agonizingly for months for my car to be repaired.

BMW’s callous attitude towards Indian customers is highlighted by my case.

No wonder BMW, which was number one in India a few years back amongst the German trinity, has now slipped to third position with JLR-Tata close on its heals.

BMW left me no choice but to escalate the matter legally and socially.

I have done both.

I have posted my case on several platforms to make all INDIANS aware of the poor BMW quality standards and even worse after sales experience.

My views have been watched (yes even on television) and shared my thousands of prospective BMW customers and I will continue to do so relentlessly until justice has been served to me by replacing my car.

I know i am speaking 100% truth and someday i will get justice.

Here are "some" of the avenues where i have publicly shared my views on this matter:

This show was aired on National television on 31st August 2013, CNBC Awaz - “Pehredar”.

Interestingly, another person had a similar problem on this show with a Maruti car, and guess what, the Company "REPLACED THE CAR IN A WEEK!!!".

Thats called customer service!

Anyways, you can see what the Jury on the show had to saw about BMW from the above picture.

Furthermore, I have shared my views on popular Auto websites in India and across India and the world.

I am glad with the overwhelming response i have received (thousands of views and hundreds of replies).

Moreover, I suggest you search "HORRIBLE BMW OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE" on google to know how widespread my experience has become.

My fight for justice will continue. there are hundreds of newspapers, magazines and channels in India which support my cause. As and when I get the time to approach them, I will. Everything spoken my me is true and i have sufficient written proof of the same as well.

Leaglly,

I have sent BMW three notices.

First from “Jaago Grahak Jaago”, the govt consumer tribunal.

Then from “Akosha”, a consumer redressal forum.

Finally from my own lawyer.

And guess what BMW didn’t reply to even one of them.

They only sent a letter to me once saying we will draft a reply soon, but it has been several weeks to that as well.

This is how BMW treats its customers.

Utterly disgusted by the company.

I must insist that i have always LOVED BMW as a driver focussed car and will continue to do so.

Hoping for justice!