hr18

petrol car under 10 lacs.. which one to choose?

I have a requirement of a petrol car. I have a budget around 8-10 Lac INR. I want following things from this car. These are as per my priority list as well.

Good space for 5

Safety

Good looks

Maintenance

personal favorites are : hyundai verna 1.6 , ford ecosport 1.0 ecoboost

not considering city as it will get update in early 2014

Seems like you have created 2 threads asking the same question. Anyways, I think the Honda City would have been my first choice followed up by Hyundai Verna.

I think the city will be best. But as u are not interested because it will get a facelift in 2014. Then go for the Hyundai Verna. It has the new fluidic sculpture. The verna is offered with a long list of equipment, with 6 airbags on the top end SX(O) variant and it is very comfortable for 5 people. It is offered in 2 engines, 1.4L and 1.6L and in both petrol and diesel. Both engines are well refined and the CRDi motor is a joy to drive with 6 manual gears. But lacks on the highways. After crossing 100kmph it a bit stable. And in maintainance it scores 5 upon 5. Hyundai's maintainance is just after the Maruti Suzuki's. And its AFSS is also good.

I would agree with Hersch!! Honda City is the best car in that price range!!

Amongst your favourites, I would suggest the Ford EcoSport 1.0 EcoBoost.

It has a fuel efficient and potent engine!! Good boot space, comfortable seating for five, good ride quality and its safety features have made it an instant hit in the Indian car market!!

But recently Ford has announced that they would be increasing its price and they have also decided to remove 2 premium features from the top end titanium model which makes it a bit less appealing to me!

I would strongly suggest you to consider the Nissan Terrano!!

It looks much better than Renault's Duster and it is bigger as compared to the almost premium hatchback sized EcoSport!!

It has powerful engine options and its interiors are luxurious and loaded with features!!

I would recommend you to at least take it for a test drive before reaching a decision.

The problem with city's engine is that it makes peak at very high revs. But ones you get used to it, it will blow you up saying "vtec kicked in yo" !!!!!! Wait for the new city to come next year and that will be the best car in segment ;)

@hr18;

Try not to go with either of these choices, as Ecosport no doubt is a good car, but at high speeds or for more frequent highway journeys, i won't be recommending this.

Verna no doubt is a good car but is nowhere a good car in terms of handling & driving precision & you'll get fed up of in few months of long list of its features.

Else, if compromise is the solution then Verna is still a better compromise.

or

Better is to wait few days for VW Vento 1.2 GT TSi petrol.

Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT SX or SX(O) is the best buy in this segment... Honda city is now too old for this category and requires a makeover. Hyundai will make you smile everyday with its looks, luxurious cabin and loads and loads of features which are missing in Honda City or perhaps any car in this segment. And on paper to it churns out highest power, great torque and fuel efficiency. And number says all too. It is the best selling car in its segment since its launch way back in May 2011.

Nissan's sunny is also a good option as it has got acres of space. My uncle wanted a chaffer driven car and went for it closing his eyes. K9k engine is a please to drive. On paper specs may not be as good as verna, but it is very much drivable. Sunny's steering is very light at low speeds and weighs up nicely with speed. If u dont like its looks, go for scala. And u can wait for the new Sunny which may be launched at delhi auto expo. Cheers!

Since you are avoiding the city, i would suggest go for a used camry, accord or a teana. These cars have a very poor resale, so you can get a couple of years old model in your budget. One of my friends just bought an off white colour, 2011 top spec teana in mint condition for 10 lakhs. You can also go for a similar condition corolla or a civic at half your budget.

@hr18:

I would suggest that Nissan Sunny K9k Diesel which would cost you around 10 mid variant should be suitable for you. It has plently of room on both front and rear...there is no better car between Alto 800 and Superb which can match to Sunny in space department.

Safety wise Nissan provide airbags as mandatory fit for all its variant however, I have doubts about ABS (please check with the dealer).

Nissan's maintenance is known to be very low compare to VW and build quality is better is MSIL.

Also, if you would like to opt for Petrol, then also I will recommend Sunny Top end which should be within 9L

Not to forget you will also get all the comfort/luxury feature which would be like to see in your car.

So I would sugest you to go and check Sunny...both Diesel and Petrol and make your decision.

I was in a similar position about two months ago and you better strictly stay away from ecosport (its a pure 4 seater and is grossly overpriced and over-hyped). Given that room for 5 and safety features are your top priority, I doubt if you would find Verna or Vento under 10L (with ABS+airbags).

Sunny looks good but it is an absolutely terrible handler and forget about cruising on highways. Moreover, Nissan's serivce network is as big as hair on Rakesh Roshan's head.

My first choice would be Verna (if you can find variant that comes within your budget). Then comes VW Vento.

PS: extend your budget just a bit and go for top end variants.