I was travelling back from my cousins place in seawoods, navi mumbai with my family. Suddenly the car stopped at Sanpada signal on palm beach road. Got a bit scared as it is the busiest road. Tried cranking few times. No joy. Finally called up my cousin who owns a garage in Seawoods. His guy came in 30 minutes and helped to pull the car off road. Also came a Traffic policeman and fined me 100/- for blocking the traffic.
The mechanic checked the fuel supply, battery and other basics as it was getting dark. No issue found. I asked him to tow the car to garage the next day and update me. I caught a cab and came back to mira road.
Next day i received a call from my cousins garage. To my shock the timing belt was broken. He replaced that but the engine wouldn't start. Further checks confirmed that the engine head is also broken. I called up my regular part suppliers in Opera House and Kurla CST Road to enquire about the charge for a new and used engine head. For a new one it will cost me 10,000/- and for used one it is 4,000/- I was surprised to find that a whole engine will cost me 8,000/- at Kurla. Not sure what to do. Will changing the engine head solve the issue ? Does timing belt, if broken, damage engine head ?
Other issues prior to this incidents were:
1. A strong fuel smell comes intermittently while driving.
2. At times car used to loose power and drag for few seconds and then run normally.
3. In traffic the car temperature used to go above 100 and it used to power off automatically.
4. Headlight bulb keeps blowing up everymonth.
Things which I did to the car recently.
1. Radiator removed and cleaned thoroughly
2. Fuel tank removed and checked for any leaks
3. Alternator serviced and battery charged