kaushalvyas20

Scorpio Mhawk 40,000km User Review

A liking for the utility vehicles since the childhood days and a six year old long bonding with the Scorpio Turbo 2.6Dx urged me to persuade my father , who was now in favour of a Toyota Innova, to buy a Scorpio Vlx with the new Mhawk Engine. I had already made up my mind since the day I saw the new version in our very own Autocar Performance Show in November 2009.It was that moment of happiness where I was overwhelmed considering what exceptional features the car was loaded with and the then all new styling. Today, it has been 3 years and 40000 kms since we bought the car.

It wasn’t only the features and the love for the aggressive styling but also the smart price tag that Mahindra had given the Scorpio pushed me further into the Mahindra territory. And when I say smart price tag, I mean that a top variant Scorpio Vlx with airbags and manual transmission was priced at 11.60 lacs, a well 2.5 lacs cheaper than the then Innova V model, priced at 14.14 lacs. Well, few people would disagree with me on this but then come on folks, 2.5 lacs was a huge sum of money back in 2010, infact, even today it is, considering the rising rate of inflation.

Putting all these things apart, I would like to thank our fellow writers here on Autocar India to inspire me to write this review and especially, thank Autocar India for providing a wonderful platform to share our thoughts that can actually benefit all the readers. With this I would like to begin my review.

Design and Engineering

It is indeed very commendable, the amount of thoughtfulness that the Mahindra Engineers have put behind designing this version of Scorpio. The styling of the car goes to the next level when you see the front end of it. The grille gives you that premium vehicle kind of a feeling. The bumpers are sturdy enough and what proved that was when a 20 ton truck rolled back on to my car on Mumbai Pune Expressway Ghat and those bumpers hardly moved by a few millimeters.

The most impressive bit of all is ofcourse the headlights which come with the Blue Vision bulbs which illuminate any dark road and effectively aid in what would otherwise be a tiring dark rainy night. The addition of electronic gadgetry such as the automatic headlights, tyretronics and rain sensors are a boon. The cruise control as well, is quite effective and adds to that small percent of rise in fuel efficiency and a tremendous rise in convenience of highway driving. The air condition unit cools well but the rear center placed second row ac vents could disappoint you sometimes.

The ergonomics of the front bucket seats is quite effectively done which gives you a planted feeling but that high mounted rear seat will give you the fear of being tossed in the air. The music system with Bluetooth is coupled with a good set of speakers.Overall, the quality of materials used in the inside of the car is way above its previous standards.

Engine and Performance

Come to this section and what catches your attention is the very well engineered and well powered 2.2 liter MHawk engine with an output of 120 horses rearing to go on a rampage. Sit inside the car and you will know the amount of pondering done by Mahindra to refine this considerably huge diesel engine. You would not even know that the engine is idling when you are in a deep conversation with your fellow passengers. Press the throttle a bit hard and here come the 120 horses pouncing .

That torque of 290 Nm is a bliss while negotiating through the traffic although that occasional spike of power might put you in a spot of bother sometimes. Get on the highway and you will easily cruise at 140 kmph. With a fuel efficiency of 9.5 kmpl in city and almost 13kmpl on highway at an average speed of 80 kmph, those are good figures given the huge dimensions of the car. Also the 60 liter fuel tank with the first reserve call coming when 18 litres of fuel is still left, gives you a good full tank range.

Ride and handling

At 2510 kg and 1.8 meters wide you surely feel like the king of the road. The steering is quite precise which lets you maneuver the car accurately above a huge crater. The rear multilink,coil spring suspension although better than the previous car can still be bumpy at low speeds although absorbs the bumps a bit well at higher speeds. The straighline stability is breathtaking but considering the height of the vehicle, it will provide some considerable body roll at the corners, which can be taken care of. Lastly, those 16 inch wheels contribute well, towards absorbing any un-uniformity on the roads. Eventually, you will feel that the Scorpio is actually a go anywhere vehicle and you will be sure of returning home safely no matter what kind of terrain you prefer to choose to tread.

Service costs and repairs

As the time has passed, Mahindra has done a good job to come up with new dealers and service centers in city of Mumbai and especially in the suburbs. Also the technicians and service advisors have raised their bar, although they still have some time to reach the quality of Toyota. For the first two years wherein my car was in warranty,service costs hovered around Rs. 5000 for 6 months inclusive of change in any kind of oils. Also I bought the extended warranty for Rs. 14000 which covers most of the things covered by the original warranty and gives you that extra peace of mind for another 2 years. Only once, the bushings of my rear suspension had worn out and it was not covered in warranty which cost me around Rs. 10000.

Suggestion and Conclusion

Scorpio has come a long way to compete with the likes of the Innovas and the Safaris. Given the young age of the product, Mahindra has done a very good job to keep up with the stiff competition in the market. With a slight improvement in the rear seat ergonomics, sufficient legroom and better driving manners, the Scorpio would set a new benchmark wherein it would be the only car at that price point, coupling both the comfort and power, which is a difficult balance to strike.

post-28161-0-33060600-1380636077_thumb.j

post-28161-0-79512800-1380636116_thumb.j

post-28161-0-14401100-1380636160_thumb.j

As my uncle owns one & as far as i've drive few times, Scorpio 2.2 mHAWK is a great car to drive.

Personally i rate this car above Duster or others falling in its price bracket, also giving the feel of True blue SUV.

You have been very kind in your review.

I myself have an AT variant and it is riddled with failures .Electrical Parts keep failing and Plastic parts keep falling.

Luckily , i am also covered under warranty , so no major pinch.

Honestly , how many would choose to buy a Scorpio now ? with its dated looks, outdated interiors and minimal technology.

You have been very kind in your review.

I myself have an AT variant and it is riddled with failures .Electrical Parts keep failing and Plastic parts keep falling.

Luckily , i am also covered under warranty , so no major pinch.

Honestly , how many would choose to buy a Scorpio now ? with its dated looks, outdated interiors and minimal technology.

@librankur: Do you have an ownership review on the forum? If not do start one, Im keen to know more about the Scorpio AT

Theca is good if u are planing to own it for just 3-4 years. On the fifthe year, my Scorpio Vlx started giving problems and had 3-4 major problems in a single month and it costed me above 1 lac rupees. The car is very thirsty but it is vrey pleasing and a great c r to own if u are ready to bear the after sale expenses