Sign in to follow this  
RKNG

Hyundai Santro 1.1 Long term

smiley1.gifFor: gearbox/engine combo,power steering, air conditoning,build integrity,refinement

smiley5.gifCons: bouncy ride, awkard accelerator pedal position,aggresive air con throttle cut off switch

Overall mileage : 15km/l with A/C

Expenses incurred : set of new tyres at 60,000kms, battery changed after 5 and a half years, regular servicing.     

Hi friends,
                     Would like to share the reviews of the Santros we have owned. First one was brought in 1998 end, just when Hyundai launched it and we were among the first customers. The car was primarily used by my father. It was the non powersteering model. Morever since my father had a heart operation , we were on the lookout for the least stressful car to drive. we appreciated it for its smooth engine and high seating postion and sweet gearshift. . At that time all inclusive it was 3.05 lakhs, when the comparable zen was 3.76lakhs.

We had it for around 50,000 kms with not a rattle or squeak. Everything was like brand new but that has more to do with the exceptional care father takes. The tyres had just started to fade out but it was usable. The only hitch was brake judder after around 1 hour drive that is when the discs get hot. Thankfully Hyundai later switched to ventilated discs on the 1.1 models.

We had to sell our santro just because it didnot have power steering. We sold it(got a good price because of the way father had maintained it, 3 years old). Then we immidaiately brught the new santro zipplus 1.1 top end model. We have it still with us now after 5 and a half years. It has covered 80,000 plus kms. Only the tyres have been changed,even the clutch is original but that maybe because my father?fs main drive is the NH 47 and not the city. The engine and gearbox combo is as refined and smooth as ever. Only negatives which aplies to both generations is that the ride in that back is too bouncy , but ok in the front( so for long drives with family we take our indica). Also the a/c compressor cut off switch in the 1.1 version is a little too agressive I feel and cuts in even when you just feather the throttle(for fuel efficency I guess, but unbearable when the car is parked in a hot place) Since the car is used only by father and mother , this is ok. The car is parked near coastal area as my father works near... but still no rusting or paint faiding,plastic , seat fabric wear after all these 5+ years. Airconditoning and electrics are all just fine.

The powersteering is one of the lightest and most responsive ones around. The engine/gearbox and steering combo is what makes this car terribly easy to drive... we have not looked into mileage as we drive 100% with ac on but still we get around 15km/l overall for both versions. We have just changed the battery after 5 and half years- that is an exceptional life for a battery!(exide)

My family is planning to purchase the new santro I10 because father will be retiring soon. we are planning for the automatic version with sunroof, because father?fs drive will be mainly restricted to town.But we are reluctant to sell our current santro and will be keeping it just like a family member. So without a shadow of doubt I recommend the Hyundai to anyone. Servicing is also ok with the dealer and overall a very satisfying ownership experience...

Hey good review man , And the milage you ar egetting is good too , that was a honest review too man , bouncy ride is somewhat good smetime , ut always is soo annoying , well are you from Japan or you simply gave your country name as Japan , coz i belive Japan doesnot have Indica , santro

Cheers!!!

Dear Vishnu san,

I am in the automotive field and so I am in Japan. Working for Isuzu motors . I have been here for almost 3 years and drive all the cars i have reported when I come back to India. Other comments are based o family feedback. we pwned and have owned almost all small cars on sale there.Small is beautiful and infinitely more convinient.

I would like to write a review of the car I own in Japan- Toyota Corolla.. but a sthis model is not produced there... it will be of no sense...hope this answers all the questionssmiley1.gif

I have had a Santro Auto for 2-1/2 years. Done about 18000km. Excellent car. Consumption just under 10 kpl with AC in town, goes up to about 11 without AC. Support RKNGs view. Let us see how the new Santro (aka i10) works out.