Sign in to follow this  
munishchopra

problems with skoda laura

i had bought a skoda laura elegance on 26th april 2010. i stay out for about 6 to 7 months a year. however after about a year started having problems with my vehicle. first the hand brake did not operate properly. then i had problem with the high pressure disel pump and the cooling condensor which were replaced. in between had problems with the hand brake again which was again changed.after this had problems with engine and was told that the turbocharger was bad. this happened in feb 2012 which was again replaced in the vehicle in feb 2012. the vehicle had run only 14000 kms upto that time. in april 26th to be exact when i went again to the dealership the oil in the engine was only half a litre instead of almost 4.5 ltrs. now skoda says that since the vehicle came one day after the warranty had expired they will not replace the engine. in feb 2010 also the vehicle had only about half litre oil and i got the oil renewed and when the dealer checked the engine on his computer he said that all was good however within one day had problems with the turbocharger. i have since put up the case in the consumer forum and the vehicle is in the workshop since then. pls advise any further action.

First of all welcome to the forum. Its unfortunate that you have had to face these problems. it is a trait with European cars to give trouble if thy are not used regularly. How many times has your turbo been replaced? Escalate this to the Skoda higher authority as well.

Welcome to the ACI forum. I feel sorry for you. But as PrancingHorse said if you don't use an European vehicle regularly it will start to give trouble. :( I suggest you contact the Skoda's peoples, and ask them if they can replace your vehicle.

Lxtreme

PrancingHorse,do you mean european cars are engine wise / as a machine requir more caring?

Does diesel /petrol & German /Swedish/French/Japnies have different sets of problems ?

I personally look at these car makers as engineering marvels.

why do we get to here more problems about high end cars from the brands which are considered as the best in terms of quality like the skods, audis and bmws???

Is it because they treat the indian consumers foolish and also the very illogical quality standards being set by the Indian goverment??(for example the ground clearance rule for SUV's??

:angry: :angry: :angry:

The European build quality is such a cliché and a big myth in my personal opinion. While we have owned both Japanese and European cars in our family, our experience with the European gadgetry courtesy the VW-Skoda twins has been nothing short of horrible. The Japanese have been just the opposite with both Honda and Toyota giving us enough reasons to smile every time. Especially Honda, which is simply excellent value for money and one of the most reliable machines money can buy. I remember posting this on an earlier occasion as well that Europeans seriously need to learn a lot from their Japanese counterparts.

I also do not completely agree with Britto above. As pointed by him on regulation regarding ground clearance, such stipulations have nothing to do with the quality aspect but definitely with the functional aspects of the vehicle. In fact, regulations like emission compliance actually promote innovation. Technology should only be able to deliver better and reliable products at reasonable prices or else it cannot be termed as innovation. Similarly, a lower ground clearance shouldn’t be the reason for mechanical or electronic failures which is a common case with all European cars. I do however agree with Britto that some of the regulations put by the govt are completely mindless and made without expert consultations though our laws have the habit of evolving with time. Hope it would happen in this case as well.

No matter what computer reads one must check oil level, coolant level, battery acid level, gear case oil level and wind screen washer level manually on regular level. We love our cars, don't we ! Should not fully rely on electronics.