FuelRunGod

Tata Safari Dicor Now Updated to 30000kms

Model: Safari Dicor 3.0 EX 4x2 CSZ series
Colour: Artic Silver
Accessories on delivery: VX Alloys, Bridgestone Tyres, DVD System, Body-Coloured Bumpers and Claddings.
Issues faced on delivery: None.

Dealership Experience

Took delivery from Shaman Auto, Prabhadevi on 6th April 2007. The experience was far from satisfactory. To begin with, the car alloted to me was sold to someone else...which really pissed me off, as this pushed the already messed up delivery date by more than a week. After giving them a piece of my mind, we were given a courtesy car - an esteem to use till we got the delivery. They also tried to back out of their promises of the accessories which were to be installed on the EX - body painted claddings, VX alloys and the DVD system. But after threatening to cancel the booking, they agreed to do all the fittings. But all this left me with a bad taste in the mouth. Although I have to tell you, the salesman did try his best to do whatever he could for us, but everybody else working in the sales process was slacking, hence the delivery was messed up.

The Truck:

Well, now we all really know what a safari looks like and its share of niggles, with so many photos and reports floating around on the forum its hardly a surprise.

On taking delivery, everything after being checked was given the clean chit. After reading through numerous reports, I was mentally prepared for issues to crop up. But to my surprise and relief none did. Drove her home, and marvelled at its imposing size, how the mumbai cabs were giving way...well thats a first for me.

The Engine seems so quite, but does have slight vibrations, but I knew of those already so no issues. Hate the 3000rpm redline, have been driving under 2000rpm, so havent really driven it fast as such due to the running-in. It doesnt have the kick in the back feeling like the scorpio, but its no couch potato either.

The interiors could have been a bit better. I mean the bits and pieces that are visible are of seemingly cheap materials (AC controls) while those that arent have decent if not good quality. (stalks behind the steering).

The car has fantastic ergonomics, the driving position is just fabulous. But dont like the positioning of the headunit, its placed too low, involves taking the eyes off the road to operate it.

Seating comfort wise, theres nothing that comes close to the safari. The best seats in the business. The ride is also really great. I dont feel the BMC sponsored potholes on our so-called roads.

Well about the handling, its no car...the steering is quite sluggish. It doesnt react to minor adjustments like the over-servoed steering of the scorpio.

After reading about the updated series of the dicor, i ordered a CSZ series, and seems to have paid off. No rattles, no squeaks, no smoke, no issues. Touchwood.

Heres a gist of likes and dislikes. Will update as I pile on the kilometres.

Dislikes:
3000 redline...thats it for now.
FuelRunGod2007-08-30 20:33:30

7,000kms Update

Issues Faced: Starter motor issues, minor rattles and squeaking from the rear suspension.

During the 7000kms in the last 5 months. The truck has been through a major flood, a minor accident. The 7000kms have been mostly covered within the city with short runs to lonavala and pune. I sent it for a service at 5000kms. The car has been returning 10kmpl in city and just about 14kmpl on the highway (expressway traffic).

I sent the truck for its first scheduled service at Shaman Auto, Sewri.

The workshop experience was anything but nice. First of all the people are not trained properly. They dont know the vehicles properly. I had to go to the workshop thrice for a starter motor issue. The motor would not crank at times. The workshop overhauled the starter but to no avail and after all this, they also managed to damage the spare wheel cover.

Lack of communication within the workshop was another problem. I was called for a service and when I reach there, they tell me that I dont have an appointment. This is downright pathetic. Very unprofessional. I have decided never to go to that workshop again.

Were the issues solved?

Well no. The starter still hesitates at times. The bushes from the rear suspension were changed so the squeaking is gone. But the rattles from the dashboard remain although better muted than before. The fog lamp had fogged up, was replaced under warranty.

Total money spent: Around Rs.1,000.

Bottom line, Im happy with the truck, but Im definately not happy with Tatas service. Untill the next update at 10,000kms

FRG

nice revew.. yes showroom people are not well trained.. today when i asked in chevrolet showroom about U-VAs bhp, the girl said ummm..hmmmmm 1.2 sir.. then i said mam i asked BHP...she said... ohh bhp!!! around 30 to 40smiley32.gif. and when i asked about boot space she said 90mm... very goodsmiley20.gif

nice revew.. yes showroom people are not well trained.. today when i asked in chevrolet showroom about U-VAs bhp' date=' the girl said ummm..hmmmmm 1.2 sir.. then i said mam i asked BHP...she said... ohh bhp!!! around 30 to 40smiley32.gif. and when i asked about boot space she said 90mm... very goodsmiley20.gif[/quote']

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

@FRG

nice review....njoy the MONSTER!!!smiley1.gif

Nice SUV by Indian standards, I must say but the point highlighted by you about Tatas service is something worth concern. Why is this kind of scenario so common with Indian OEMs. I have experienced many problems with the service of Bajaj. But still a Safari is a Safari. The road presence is absolutely unignorable. Nice pick FRG.

Hi FRG,

Planning a Safari LX but not very sure what CSZ series refers tosmiley5.gif. Will be greatfull if you can tell me a lill bit more about it. As per my knowledge there were some issues like rattles, squeaks and smoke in Dicor 2005 and 2006 which have been ironed out in Dicor 2007. Is CSZ an altogether different model or is just a term which referes to Dicor 2007?

Gagan

Hi Gagan,

There were some minor internal changes made to the Safari which took care of some of the earlier niggles. When I was buying, I was told to book a model of this series. But you shouldnt have any problems. All series after CSZ have the retrofits.

To check your series. Look at the sticker on rear left side glass (third window). The alphabets should read DSZ, ESZ, FSZ. Anything after C in CSZ.

But if looking at the Safari, might I suggest you wait for the new model which is around the corner. The Safari 2.2. Party piece is the engine with 140bhp. But only problem is that there may be quality issues with the initial lots.

FRG

the guys at the tata motors service centre at worli are complete ****s and my car had a variety of issues that needed to be fixed....in its first six months the ac button broke, the cigarette lighter conked, the rear wiper didnt work, the clock stopped working, the radio buttons used to lock up....

The guys at the authorised service centre at cadell road didnt know how to fix the issues and when i finally called up the tata motors guys at worli, they acted so pricey and said that i should bring the car after 3 months...thts when i decided to use my journalist pull and managed to get the problems solved... now the radio has conked again and the overhead lamp assembly just fell on my head this evening.... and to think that i actually bought another safari after deciding on upgrading my previous one which was definitely the crappiest car i have ever ever seen..... totally disillusioned by tata.... spare a thought for jaguar....
FuelRunGod2007-09-29 10:12:26

And yet Tata and Mahindra manages to find customers in plenty and keeps selling their stuff, makes me wonder. I used to get complimentary BP oil from Tata dealer here in Delhi when my Safari would drink oil every week, even when I would tell them that I dont use BP and only use Delo or Delvac, they were prompt with service for me though, my rear differential crown went south in 6 months and they replaced it within a day or two. I had basically given up on all electrical woes as well as interior and exterior trim which just simply melted away in the Delhi summers.

best of luck FRG and Dipeesh - I think the safaris sell because they look oohhh so good and have such a nice presence on the road. I have never owned a tata but one of my close friends bought a safari once (black limited edition one of those with bells and whistles some time back) which he had to sell in six months because while driving, the power assist to the steering just went dead on a turn. happy motoring

welll did a continous drive of over 9000 kms in a safari and must say except for loads of rattles and squeaks and few niggling problems we barely had any issues with the car on this long run plus its damn comfortable on a long journey......so the safari has a few plus points but yes TATA need to improve fit and finish  not only in the safari I might add!!!They need to  maintain a standard..reading back on the pages everyone seems to have had varied problems its not a certain part failing.... so quality control definatley needs to improve and if they cannot do that then at least improve the service!!

Thats the issue - niggling problems. When will they listen and do something about it? I am sure even if the price goes up by 25000 people would still buy it and then good words would spread. As for service I do not expect them to improve IMHO because 95 % people visiting their service centres are taxi drivers and people are tuned in to deal with them. For upmarket products like the SAFARI, the new INDICA V3 and the long wheelbase INDIGO they should have separate service centres maybe. (Just a thought!!!!!)

Hi FRG my friend has a scorpio n he does not like its rear space and wants to get a new SUV which has good rear bench space coz he carries his parents with him .He was thinking of modifing it but it is not possible ,he is intrested in safari as he is getting good offers but i told him to wait for some months coz new 2.2 lt engines r comin n there couldsome facelift. Will the new safari n Scorpio make any change on space or should he go ahead.

Yes the 2.2 Safari is around the corner. The basic design is the same so interior space will be the same. But the reliability of the 2.2 engine will not be known. If I were you, Id buy the 3.0 litre DICOR, it has been tried and tested. And youl get fabulous deals at this time. But beware, buying a Tata, you might have to face niggling issues even with the safari.

FRG

25000KMS Update:

Just got the Safari back from its free service. Have to say, the Tata workshop at Worli has done a commendable job. I had almost forgotten how the Safari was when new.

The Happenings:

From the last update at 7000kms in August 07, the Safari may not have seen as many kilometres, but even then has seen plenty of action. A cab hit me at a signal and damaged the spare wheel cover which has been removed now.

It almost became part of the statistic of the terrorist attack in Mumbai. I was waiting outside at VT station junction when the firing started. Then again at Marine Drive where they apprehended the lone surviving terrorist. Thankfully, all of us escaped narrowly.

Over the course of kilometres, the tail-gate started rattling again. A foglight bulb fused and had to replace a 5A fuse for the rear fogs. Another problem was the front discs warped again and had to be skimmed. This seems to be a generic problem with the Safaris. You have to wait for the brakes to warm up, otherwise the discs will take a beating. Last time, it was done in warranty, but this time I had to pay.

Another complaint was the hard clutch. It would be nice and soft in the mornings, but once warmed up, the clutch action would become hard. They rectified it by bleeding the system. It has become nice and smooth now.

After the oil change, the engine feels a lot quieter and smoother. (EDIT: Oil hasn't been changed, it changes every 10000kms, so will be changed at the 30k kms service, but either ways the engine is running very nicely indeed. Probably thanks to the airfilter cleaning).

Fuel economy figures have been hovering around 9.8kpl in the city with AC. Got 13.5kpl on a recent trip to Alibaug with a full load and both ACs switched on.

The Tata guys fixed everything I had asked for and I couldn't be happier to recieve the truck back in good shape. All in all, I am very happy and always reach for the Safari keys every morning despite the vtec.

PS: The vtec had a crash a week back thanks to a watchman taking a joyride behind our backs. Damaged three other cars in the process. The car is undergoing repairs with an estimated bill of up to Rs 60,000. Not something you like waking up to an early Sunday morning.

Bill Details

1. Fog Lamp:                             Rs 77

2. Rear wheel Arch Cladding:     Rs 265

3. 25000kms Service:                Free

4. 5 Door pad clips:                   Rs 42

5. Brake system check:              Free

6. Electrical check:                     Rs 75

7. Remote battery:                     Rs 100

8. Disc Skimming:                      Rs 260

Labour

1. Wheel Arch Cladding paint:   Rs 350

2. Disc Skimming:                      Rs 350