FuelRunGod

Tata Safari Dicor Now Updated to 30000kms

Free service at 25000kms?

The bill is quite reasonable. I though that Safaris were very expensive to maintain. The mileage is also pretty decent.

PS: rs. 60000 for the crash? How did it happen?Crazy cat2009-02-22 16:32:55

The motto of Tata service should be "Chalthi Kaa Naam Gaadi". Take it for service only when the vehicle stalls completely; don't ask for 'niggles' and 'rattle's' to be sorted out...basically it's asking for tooo much from our homegrown Tata. Wait for the next edition. "Niggle-less vehicle would be character-less vehicle from Tata" Hooo Hummm soo boring, efficiency, of Suzuki and Hyundai. I appreciate you guy's for doing what the guinea pig's do in the lab. Motto for Tata would be "Customer is Guinea Pig No:1".smiley36.gif

@DD: The rattles have been fixed. But having said that, I expect them to come back after a few thousand kilometres.

I've said it before, you have to own one to know one. I had the Accent CRDi and know how good the Hyundais really are.

The Safari may not be too great on quality, but there's a lot more to this car than cheap plastics and inconsistent quality. Like I said you have to own it to know.

PS: rs. 60000 for the crash? How did it happen?

His explanation was that his foot got stuck in the accelerator pedal. Radiator, fender, left axle, condeser, bonnet, headlights, front bumper need to be replaced. Honda service isn't cheap, a trusty mechanic at a local garage is taking care of the vtec.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-02-23 05:27:34

So I think you have learn't your lesson FRG may be he had worn loose slippers or something .

Even I had same experience in my case my car got a front collision to the side of fiat NE which came out of no were perpendicular ( my colony has blind spots FRG knows) and my peon said he braked hard but the other guy was fast as a result the bonnet got bend front headlight assembly radiator and front bumper had been changed ( amounting to 5-7k) Since the fiat had an iron bumper not much damage was done .In the end we had to pay from our pocket.

I hope you get your truck updated with that cover.

PS: rs. 60000 for the crash? How did it happen?

Manish, I forgot to write about this Rs 60,000 denting incident.Sad to read about it and that it should happen due to sole negligence of and prank played by someone else.

But one question I would like to pose here to you.If you have the desire (not DZire) to change over to a new car/SUV now, will you again like to go for a brand new Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor? As you drive and test many, many cars, which one within your budget, will be your choice?

anjan_c20072009-02-23 16:41:47

Going by my current finances, I would buy a Tata Safari 2.2 and this time I'd buy the 4x4 EX. There are lots of better cars available, but none that are this cheap to buy and maintain.

But my favourite buy would be the Mitsubishi Montero which sadly I can not afford at the moment. But If I had the money, that's what I would buy.

FRG

It isn't completely about brand loyalty. There simply isn't a direct competitor to the Safari as of now. The Scorpio is but it is a much smaller SUV and just can't match the Tata for sheer space and comfort. Besides, the 2.2 Safari offers pretty good value with a powerful engine and comfortable interiors. Quality notwithstanding. Some more refinement and better quality control is all I ask for.

But if there was something better at not too high a price which offered similar levels of space and comfort and had road presence, I would buy that. 

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-02-24 16:53:40

Update:

The truck has been given to the workshop after it was diagnosed with faulty rear suspension bushes. They are not covered under warranty so I will have to pay for them. They cost about Rs 4,000 for the entire set. I have to say I'm a bit upset that they gave way in only 25,000kms.

The repairs are being carried out and I should have the Safari back by tomorrow evening.

FRG

Yeah, and the funny thing is I couldn't really tell that the bushes were going/gone. Anyways I wanted them changed immediately. So the truck is back in the hands of the TML workshop. I had to drive back in the office Spark today. And I had to watch out for other cars unlike the Safari. Can't wait to have the truck back.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-03-17 04:29:30

Interesting thread! So, Tata's quality is still patchy/inconsistent.

But FRG, how much more would a 4x4 Safari offer? I guess its offroad capabilities are restricted to bad road/on road conditions!

Anyhow, as you said this is all one can get in this category, for more budget has really to be stretched, well almost doubled atleast!

Regarding the suspension, this is the what I like the best in this vehicle, its ride is so comfortable & cosseting. But again all this comes at the cost of constant replacing!

good review FRG, agree that nothing to beat safari in its segment with that price on offer,yes few rattles and niggles with tata comes within its package if you buy one,afterall isnt that expensive as one does feel it would be,look to see montero with you one day buddy!!

@thackervijay: Thanks for the compliments.

@sarabjeet: I'm pretty happy with the company workshop. They do a good job and actually understand the vehicle. My earlier dealer Shaman was horrible. They had no clue about the vehicle and most of the times you had to diagnose problems yourself and give them solutions.

FRG

Update:

The Safari has covered almost 35,000kms. I forgot to update the last service at 30,000kms. This was a major service with oil change and everything. This time I also shifted to Delo400 oil. The engine is far smoother now, idling vibrations are reduced and so are the noise levels. Have driven it 5000kms now after the oil change and very happy with it.

A problem that did occur was that the rear window winder became slow and failed. This was due to non-usage. I never roll any windows down, apart from the driver's side and that to rarely. Thank god I had the extended warranty as it costs about Rs 4,000 to replace.

Other than that, no problems, the bus came back in good shape and I'm happy as ever. I believe the service cost me about Rs 3,000 excluding the oil cost which was about Rs 2,500.

EDIT: After a recent Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai run, the engine seems to have freed up more and also returned respectable FE of 13.5kpl despite speeds of 120+kph.

An incident from yesterday:

Yesterday in the pouring rain, the Safari's rear left tyre went completely flat. I'm partly to blame, I knew it had a slow puncture, but I was being lazy and filling in air every two days. But today the slow puncture became a fast puncture.

So out came the jack and jack rod from under the seats. I had fitted tubeless tyres as soon as I bought the bus to avoid just this kind of a situation. Once I slid the heavy duty jack under the axle, I realised changing a Safari's tyre is no easy business.

Firstly the jack design isn't very user-friendly nor is the jacking point for the rear. You literally have to stretch yourself under the car to place it. Then the rod which turns it is quite difficult to operate.

It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to work the jack's handle. And 40 minutes to actually change the tyre. Not something you like doing when you are heading for dinner with friends. And man are those tyres heavy.

Lesson learnt, I buying those pneumatic jacks as soon as possible and even one of those electric pumps that run off the cigarette lighter.

On the other hand, the JK Elanzos after 35,000kms of running are wearing quite well and still have a lot of life in them. Grip levels are just about decent, a 3.0-litre doing wheelspins while cornering on wet roads is a scary sight for other motorists even if I enjoyed it. smiley2.gif

FRG

FuelRunGod2009-11-11 12:57:14

@FRG

Nice to hear your continued experiences with the bus. Punctures are never good be it rainy or otherwise.

Many people dont like JK Tyres but I feel that apart from the tyre noise which i feel is over shouted at, they are pretty durable. We changed tyres in our innova as soosn as we got it to michelin, and I must say, that though the noise is almost not there and ride quality is excellent, they are not in the same good condition as they were two years ago. I think we will have to change them after 5000 more kms.

@Bornfree

Nice profile pic!!

rahul18102009-11-11 13:06:57

Ahh yes. The Ordeals of changing an SUV tire. I remeber the scorpio having a puncture once. The best part though is the way the wheel is packaged under the car no need for any heavy lifting here....

Nice review FRG. The dinner killjoy was that dreaded puncture. Maybe your appetite increased at the dinner table with all the muscle man like work done.

Even the Scorpio jack, handle and jacking point are not user friendly.