Sign in to follow this  
ameyam

WagonR engine check light

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2008 Wagon R VXI second hand. I am the second owner. The car had probably been in an accident earlier but the original owner had it fixed some time earlier. It did have a few problems when I got it but I had it fixed. One concern was the check engine light that was on but there was nothing wrong with the engine. So we & even our mechanic surmised it was a failed sensor or electrical fault. He disconnected the battery for some time & reconnected & the light stopped. But now it's back

Now my intent is that if it's a small fault, I would like to disregard. However if it's something important, it's better fixed before it does more damage. My mechanic doesn't have a code scanner and I don't want to take it to a service centre due to their costs. I know that OBD sensors like the ELM327 etc are available online. I want to know whether the tool will be compliant & whether I should go ahead & buy it

Ameyam

I would still advice you to take the car to nearby MASS and get it checked. They would hardly charge 500 for checking only. It will be up to you if you really want to get it fixed by them or now. But by this way you would be able to get the proper cause of problem.

I did research subsequent to my post here. Cars beyond 2010 are OBD compliant due to legislation. Earlier cars like mine are not. So, though mine has the port, it may not work with the ELM327 that's available. For those in the know, I have metal contacts on pins 4, 5, 7, 9 & 16 which refers to ISO 9141-2 but there is no guarantee it complies.

I spoke to a mechanic friend & he has access to the scanning. Don't know whether he will take it to a MASS but I have other small issues to fix as well. Hopefully he will be able to sort out the fault as well

Ameyam

Your might be OBD 1 and it won't be compatible with bluetooth ELM devices. Do take it to Service Centre it might be a small issue of loose wire or a major problem. Check alternator , air sensor, Fuel injectors etc.

Well, I got it resolved through my mechanic & his contacts. Even when he was taking the car, the light was switching off intermittently. He said they did some setting. I believe that means they cleared the lingering fault from the Pc. The car (since it was preowned) is fully serviced- I got the engine oil & coolant (and a couple of belts he didn't give me full details about) replaced. Is there anything else I need to do? The car has 37k km but no service history was available. It shows evidence of being in am accident but having been fixed & my mechanic has gone over the structure

Ameyam