Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

TATA Nano Twist(Nano with Power steering)

post-67-0-12051800-1387050398.jpg

The middle and top end variants of the Nano Twist will get the ZF-sourced electric power steering system.

The middle variant of the Nano Twist, equivalent to the existing CX, will become the XE, while the top variant of the Nano Twist, equivalent to the current LX, will become the XT model. The Tata Nano Twist is expected to be launched on January 15, 2014.

The Nano Twist will also be offered in a purple paint shade option for the first time and the EPS version will be approximately around Rs 15,000 more expensive than the equivalent non-power steering Nano (which is expected to be sold alongside the EPS version). The biggest grouse against the Tata Nano has been its heavy steering, the result of a flawed steering geometry that Tata hasn't quite got right on this 630kg, rear-wheel drive car.

post-67-0-30292800-1387050347.jpg

Now, the Tata Nano Twist could overcome one of the car's major drawbacks.

The ZF electric power steering has taken about a year-and-a-half in development and Tata engineers have fine-tuned the calibration of the hatchback to give a good balance between low effort and road feel, according to company sources.

Since its launch in 2009, sales of the Tata Nano have been a fraction of what Tata Motors hoped for. Although Tata has upgraded the interiors and exteriors of the Nano in a bid to entice buyers, the stigma of the world's cheapest car has kept many buyers away.

The ZF-sourced electric power steering system on the Nano Twist marks the first mechanical upgrade for the Nano since its launch. This upgrade is a part of Tata Motors' new Horizonext strategy which seeks to improve existing products, sales and service to combat the recent slump in sales.

(Autocar India)

Its a shame to see such a brilliant product like the Tata Nano under-performing in sales. Well, the marketing team and R&D in Tata haven't done much, or have been late to realise the market sentiments. I personally wanted to see this updated "premium" version of the Nano much earlier, and one sore omission is the proper hatch at the rear instead of the glass opening. May be Tata didn't study the hugely successful M800 that well because, however "bare-bones" you'd call it, the M800 did give an owner's impression of a "proper" car, with controls and functions like any other car.

While it is unfair to expect so much from a "one-lakh" car, I think the hyped phrase "one-lakh" has not worked in Nano's favour. Nano should have been a worthy competitor to the 800 instead, people woudn't have minded even if it was about 2 lakhs (as it eventually turned out to be), After all most people would have bought it under finance and a low EMI wouldn't have hurt so much.

Nano never fulfilled its promise. It was never been hundred thousands car. Poor or cheap quality plastic and high maintenance car. No concept of customer service.

Maruti 800/ alto is far better quality car, Deliver more than the expectation of the customer. at least few years maintenance free. 800 is truly no nonsense car. Maurti is far better customer service too.

Tata need to redesign or re engineers the car; a no frill zero maintenance, pocket friendly car.

It is a know fact that Nano could not do anywhere close to its targeted sales, but it is definitely not poor or cheap quality plastic and high maintenance car. Yes there can be no comparison of service at dealership between Maruti and Tata (though things have improved a bit in last year or so).

But if you separate out all other badges from Nano, it really is fantastic city car as well as comfortable on long drives as well. You really have to drive it to erase the perception that it is not a proper car. In fact from some of the Tata Cars i have driven, Nano appears to be best in terms of overall build quality. The only two downside which i personally felt are Power steering - which is coming now, and Openable tailgate - not sure when it will come but have been hearing about it for a while

I really appreciate the new improvements to the Nano and the new strategy of targeting the urban youth. This was how it should have been from the start. They could stretch the Nano a bit, with a larger engine, bigger wheels and a facelift as a Nano "Plus", which could do well if priced under 3 Lacs. But I guess Tata is planning to introduce the Nano Pixel as a premium version and retain the current Nano at the lower end.

I really appreciate the new improvements to the Nano and the new strategy of targeting the urban youth. This was how it should have been from the start. They could stretch the Nano a bit, with a larger engine, bigger wheels and a facelift as a Nano "Plus", which could do well if priced under 3 Lacs. But I guess Tata is planning to introduce the Nano Pixel as a premium version and retain the current Nano at the lower end.

Probably this kind of project-Dolphin is already conceived by Tata motors few months back when they revealed that a Wagon-R like hatchback is in making with around Rs.3.5 lacs of price tag & based on Indica V2 platform.

The gap between the Nano and the Indica in Tata's line-up is pretty huge, and glad that Tata has started working on that. Maruti is king in the the lower end of the pecking order, they have several models and variants, sometimes overlapping each other. That will give the customer plenty of options to choose from and make sure that they don't leave the showroom that easily. This is the lucrative end of the Indian market and not really a "one-lakh" car as everyone realised, any manufacturer worth his salt should not ignore that.

Scoop ! Undisguised spy shots of TATA Nano Twist:

post-67-0-71612800-1389120680_thumb.jpg

Recently seen at TATA dealership is New Revamped 2014 TATA Nano 'twist' i.e TATA Nano with EPS(Electronic Power steering).

post-67-0-30195300-1389120671.jpgpost-67-0-66318400-1389120668.jpg

As reported & posted on Cartoq website,

The Nano Twist has already begun arriving at Tata dealerships. The car will be sold in XC and XT variants, which will sit above the CX and LX variants respectively. Both the XC and XT variants are likely to carry a near 15,000 rupee price increase for the extra features added. The Nano will retain its 623 cc, twin cylinder petrol engine that outputs 37 Bhp-51 Nm. This engine, sourced from Kirloskar, drives the rear wheels of the Nano by means of a 4 speed gearbox sourced from Kinetic Engineering.

(Source: cartoq.com)

post-67-0-48917200-1389120677.jpg

It also features New Instrumentation with LED telltale indication signals(like Hyundai EON) & 'Distance to empty' indication. Driver stalks are also separated for Wiper & Headlamps-Indicator operation.

post-67-0-89555700-1389120665.jpg

But an Opening practical feature i.e Opening tailgate or atleast tail-glass is still missed for this 2014 major upgrade. It would've definitely added more practicality to Nano.

These changes are really welcome and makes the Nano more appealing, but Tata has missed the chance to include a practical hatch at the rear. I certainly like the interiors of the new Nano with better quality plastics, which makes it more attractive as an urban runabout. Well, it would certainly be a good case study for others about why such an engineering marvel like the Nano wouldn't hit the sweet spot on the sales chart.

Power Steering is a welcome addition.

Now probably the only thing which is desired is Openable Tailgate. Most of the other things, Tatas have worked upon and improved / added.

Things like bigger petrol engine or even diesel engine are not required in my personal opinion. the current petrol engine is very peppy and diesel would not make that much difference now with the fuel price gap closing in. The additional cost on diesel is not really justified on a vehicle like Nano, which is primarily a city car and occasional highway drives. Petrol still makes sense.

May be an AMT or Semi automatic transmission (not very costly) would give that much more practicality to female drivers especially for their daily commutes in city.