Sign in to follow this  
bhpcrazy

Results: Autocar Awards 2013-14

post-9756-0-90882900-1387687901.jpg

The Ford Ecosport won Car of the Year at this year's Autocar Awards. Bike of the Year went to the KTM 390 Duke. Here are all the winners in various categories sourced from the Autocar website

1. CAR OF THE YEAR: FORD ECOSPORT

2. BIKE OF THE YEAR: KTM 390 DUKE

3. PREMIUM SUV OF THE YEAR: MERCEDES GL-CLASS

4. SUV OF THE YEAR: FORD ECOSPORT

5. SALOON CAR OF THE YEAR: HONDA AMAZE

6. COMPACT LUXURY CAR OF THE YEAR: BMW 1-SERIES

7. COMPACT CAR OF THE YEAR: HYUNDAI GRAND i10.

8. ENGINE OF THE YEAR: FORD ECOBOOST

9. MANUFACTURER OF THE YEAR: HONDA CARS

10. BEST DRIVER’S CAR: BMW 1-SERIES

11. VIEWER'S CHOICE CAR OF THE YEAR: FORD ECOSPORT

12. VIEWER'S CHOICE BIKE OF THE YEAR: MAHINDRA CENTURO

13. MPV OF THE YEAR: CHEVROLET ENJOY

14. PERFORMANCE CAR OF THE YEAR: PORSCHE CAYMAN S

15. IMPORT CAR OF THE YEAR: RANGE ROVER SPORT

16. PREMIUM BIKE OF THE YEAR: HYOSUNG GV650 AQUILA PRO

17. IMPORT BIKE OF THE YEAR: KAWASAKI NINJA ZX-14R

18. BEST VALUE FOR MONEY: FORD ECOSPORT

19. GREEN CAR OF THE YEAR: MAHINDRA e2o

20. TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION AWARD: FORD SYNC WITH EMERGENCY ASSIST

21. BEST VARIANT OF THE YEAR: AUDI Q3 S

22. BEST DESIGN AND STYLING: MERCEDES A-CLASS

Thanks for sharing the Winners list. Im actually more happy than ever with the results & the reason for that is, "most winners are vehicles that general consumers buy & not from ultra-expensive category".

I sick and tired of the car of the annual year awards because you have so many other awards (21) which devalue the car of the year. Imo there should not be more than 4-5 awards by an entity because here I see almost every manufacturer is pleased by giving them some or other awards.

Absolutely. The categories like best variant of the year are just hilarious. There should be only key awards like Car of the Year, Bike of the year, Manufacturer of the year and may be one award for Design and innovations.

Before i start off, i want to make it clear that the following post does not disrespect/ question the decision made by the jury.

It is just a personal opinion of a layman.

I am a bit disappointed with the vehicle that was crowned Car of the Year and SUV of the Year.

With stiff competitors such as the Grand i10, Amaze & Octavia, a car which is actually nothing but a tall overpriced premium hatchback (in my personal opinion) won the Car of the Year Award!!

I am not saying that it is a bad car! But in my personal opinion, it wasn't the best among the lot and Grand i10, Amaze & Octavia were a lot bettert!!

If given an option, rather than buying a top spec EcoSport i would opt for a top spec i20 and save approx. 1.6 lakhs in the process!

There isn't any place/ route/ road that comes to my mind where a EcoSport can go and an i20 can't!!

One might debate that the bootspace is more on the EcoSport. Look at what i've written above!! I would save 1.6 lakhs buying an i20 and of that saved amount i would buy a detachable carrier. Problem solved! Simple!!

As for it being crowned as SUV of the year.. Send it on an off road course and 10 minutes later you'll get a distress call asking for it to be rescued by a proper SUV.. Maybe by the likes of a Fortuner/ Safari/ Sorpio etc.!!

I understand that the the CRV, GL-Class and Terrano aren't true blue SUV's either.

But hey!! I'd rather say 'Veto' instead of EcoSport!!

I hope this post is looked at as a feedback and not as criticism!!

Thank you.

:D

I started reading the "feedback" in great anticipation but sadly it disappeared by 2nd or the 3rd lines. Though its great to share your feedback & we welcome it. See i20 or Octavia or Amaze are just regular cars, don't break any new ground but the vehicle "Eco-Sport" is among the new breed of cars that's taking the market by a storm. This new "breed" is called "Mini-SUV or City SUV".

These mini SUV's are perfect for Cities & uneven roads, Consumers can't have enough of it, they are lining up for these in hordes. Renault started the trend with Duster & now most companies would equip their arsenals with similar vehicles.

This is the present, cars like i20, Amaze, etc. are the same old mould, nothing new, no excitement whatsoever. I could go on & on but hope you got the drift... ;)

:D I sure do get the drift!!

But whatever i said was my personal opinion!!

I know that Ford's EcoSport has taken the market by storm, but i still do not understand the practicality side of it..

I know, i know.. Its compact, high ground clearence, big boot etc etc.. But i guess i don't like it anyways!!

In my view its the same size as an i20 with higher ground clearence.. Thats about it!!

If i wanted an SUV i would throw in some money over the price of an EcoSport and go for a Scorpio.

And if i wanted something compact.. i20 it'd be!!

I am very well aware that you can go on and on about its advantages.. And i am sure there are so many worth talking about!!

But, the problem is.. I just don't like it!! Simple!! :rolleyes:

I think ACI should now start classifying Ecosport/ Duster twins as Crossover than SUV, I kind of agree with GTO but i20 may be handle rough roads were the ecosport may be better. Also the quality of plastics is no were near i20 (I was dissappointed when I sat in it for 1st time) ,I think Grand i10 is a genuine contender along with Amaze and I would choose amongst them for car of year.

Also saying that people are flocking to buy Ecosport warrents award but 2 years back even people flocked to buy XUV but it wasn't crowned (niggling problems but it made a new segment at 15 lakhs).

Ecosport when compared to its rival Duster (but one can argue that duster is a size bigger) is a sweet VFM but wrt hatchbacks it costly and at par with entry sedan segment and a bit above pseudo sedan segment. Its a cross-over not an SUV. Lets see if Hyundai will bring ix20 which it readily markets as Crossover.