Sign in to follow this  
Arjun_M

Design element - Mahindra's front grill pattern

Fan-shaped. Shark-tooth. Some call it 'dental issue'. I wonder, why does Mahindra's front grill pattern not get much love? Yes, the design is a little too in-your-face and brazen, but it seems to give the product line its image and identity. While the Jeep-inspired seven-slat-vertical design isn't completely original, it's moved a fair distance away from the original, and looks distinct, unlike, say, Hyundai's face for the i20, which looks too much like the VW Polo, or the Fiesta-inspired previous-generation i10 and also the Tata Vista.

Mahindra vehicles are not trying to come across as family-friendly, soft urban machines, but more action-oriented, and the grill seems to be part of that image, so why change it? Maybe on the Verito cars, it would need a change, as it looks a little out of place, but the product line, albeit dated-looking, isn't the ugliest in the market right now.

Mahindra wants to stick to to its Jeep roots, and Mahindra's design is a mixed bag. While the design of the Scorpio and the XUV500 is outstanding and original, the Xylo seems like an unfinished business. The whole front-end of the Xylo needs a re-think. The car was designed inside out and that explains the odd proportions. Perhaps they overlooked the fact that external looks are actually more important to Indian buyers. Overall, its truly remarkable that an Indian company can bring out such beautiful and original designs without external help or considerable know-how in making cars.