Mansarab

Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI or Honda City Diesel

Greetings,

Sir/Mam I'm really confused between Hyundai Verna 1.6 CRDI SX model and Honda City Diesel (any model around 11 lacs). My requirements are mostly Performance, features, adequate space. I drove verna and I loved the pickup.If I choose Verna would it be a good options comparative to Honda City Diesel?

While neither of the two is a performance oriented car, the Verna would definitely pamper you with its more than ample power on tap. The City Diesel on the other hand is more of an urban cruiser which would promise you effortless drive at all speeds; but do not expect to overtake a Verna D in a City D. The City however has always been a segment benchmark in terms of cabin space and the new model would not be an exception. I would suggest that you take two test drives of both the cars back to back on two different days; one with driving a Honda first followed by the Verna and vice versa for the second drive. Ensure that your test drive is atleast 60% in city and the rest on a highway or on open road stretches having sufficient twists and bends. This should give you an idea of which car is more apt for your driving style and comfort. As far as the level of kit goes, both Verna and the new City offer generous amount of kit. You would certainly not go wrong with either of the two, the only thing that needs to be decided is what are your priorities and how are they rated. Happy Buying!

As per the early reviews of Honda City(D) , it lacks the punch and the "torque-i" feeling of a diesel car. My suggestion, wait for it and a TD will help you decide more effectively.

Well in my opinion, Verna has tremendous amount of power. You never feel short of power at anytime. At highways, just put your foot on the accelerator and ZOOOMMMM... Verna's 128 bhp shows its upper hand everywhere and even cruising on highway is effortless and enjoyable. You seem to have power more than most of the cars out there and ability to overtake. However softer suspensions provide superb city driving experience but limit you to puch too hard on highway. Honda City on the other hand is too short on power when compared. Tough fuel efficient but the engine is too noisy and vibrations can be felt through the pedal and hampers the highway experience. Also thin skinny tyres hold you back at corners at high speed. The refinement level is also poor compared to Verna. Hyundai Verna's CRDi is the quitest and most refined and buttery smooth. Even Verna's gearshift is slick, soft and smooth.

As Hersch said, you cannot overtake a Verna driving a City. I totally agree!!!

Also Verna provide you many features and you can also opt for DRL headlamps to have a classy and distinctive upmarket look.

If you want to opt fot Honda go in for Petrol 1.5 i-vtec which Honda is a master of. But a diesel machine, nothing beats the top seller, Hyundai Verna. Looks, features, comfort, performance... Verna has it all... All the best

@Mansarab: Looking at you need for power and cruisability and picking out of these two I would suggest go for Verna. The reason of saying so is that Verna's 1.6 CRDi is much more refined and powerful than City's 1.5 i-Dtech. It is smooth, punchy, noise and vibration free whereas same is not true for City.

Also, I am not sure how much driving you would be doing on highways, but keep in mind that both of these cars are meant for city driving only. Honda City which is best for city commute and good for lazy sort of driving on highway, also lacks a mature highway characteristic which any Ford/VW car has. Similarly, Verna is powerful, refined, punchy but soft suspension setup doesn't provide feel-good response to the driver on high speeds.

However, all that said, if you are really going to drive on highways more than in city and would like to compromise on some parameters of feature list, I would suggest you to look for Vento or Rapid which is not as feature rich but they both are very mature highway cars with solid build quality. Do take TD.

Also, FIAT is going to launch all new Linea with 1.6 MJD diesel engine. Linea is also a mature highway cruising car and once it comes with 1.6 more powerful MJD, it is going to be in league of Vento/Rapid/Verna/City. So you can wait a month or two to check out this as well.

But if you are going to drive low to moderate drives on highway pick Verna...it is best.

Edited by Sstar

Wait for Honda City Diesel to arrive at dealerships.

Although a bit lesser on acceleration runs but City diesel will definitely win in Reliability, Ownership-maintenance costs in long term plus Honda City has better Prestige value than Verna.

Hi! I think Honda has refreshed the interiors of the new City and it has a lot more space and features than the existing car. It feels as spacious as a Civic. Also, the new City has been loaded with several features like touchscreen infotainment system and touch air-conditioning controls which make it all the more better!