Sign in to follow this  
ameyam

loose gear lever

Hi,

having a couple of small small discomforts with my 2nd hand 2008 WagonR. To surmise, the gear lever feel loose. I drove a couple of friends'cars and their gear stick has less play. So without looking down, you can tell what gear you are in. In mine, I sometimes wonder whether I am in second or fourth. The spring resistance also Isint the same. Feels more clunky then stiff

Secondly, I seem to keep jerking when going from a standing start. There is no gear noise & I do add in accelerator. But it does seem to jerk no matter how slowly I declutch. Happens some times in second as well.

I am a learning driver but I don't see to have that problem on my colleagues' cars. I know this is subjective but may be you guys can suggest what to get checked

Ameyam

Wagon Rs are known to have rubbery shifts, wonder if you have taken it to the Maruti Authorised Service and see what they have to say. I feel that the car was not taken care of well previously, probably the gearbox needs some working and may have some some worn out bushes.

Well,rubbery is the way it is. It's just very free & not very precise. The more experienced drivers don't seem to have any problems with it. If fact they keep telling me it's nice & smooth but I feel more secure driving their newer cars. The do agree regarding the bush though. I keep feeling it resist it to go into a lower gear or keep going into 4th instead of 2nd or reverse. May be it's in my head though. Need to spend more time in it, not working out right now. Haven't taken it to a MASS as yet, have a good mechanic keep an eye on it while I gain my confidence

Ameyam

Get a gearbox link cable ties replaced they might have become worn and ask the ASS to tighten them. Pre-blue eyed WagonR have this problem in the new model cables are replaced by link rods to remove this problem.