Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

Windscreen demisting solutions for Winter season

With winters going on at full pace, specifically in Northern & Central India regions, many of the car users are facing problems with Misting or Mist formation inside the window glass of their respective cars while driving. Which in turn gets quite distracting & risky for driving.

Similar problem I'm facing with my Maruti Suzuki New Swift Dzire ZDi.

With outside temp ranging from 6-18 deg C in our region, whenever i drive I'm facing the issue of sudden Misting of all windows in my car.

For rear windscreen there's defogger but for front windscreen i need to switch its AC on all the time at 23 deg C setting.

I don't want to use Heater for this purpose as it heats the cabin & creates discomfort while driving.

However when i use Auto front defogger setting, it switches off the cabin re-circulation mode & makes the outside air to enter, mostly which is polluted or smells bad, which makes me to switch to re-circulation mode again.

What could be another way to prevent Mist formation on front windscreen ?

Please suggest & share your experiences/views

Using heater with airflow set to windscreen+front passenger serves best.

Use temperature gauge to control heat...best would be to keep at 3/4 level and also roll down driver side window by about 2 cm.

Isn't there a front demister switch on the AC controls which sends fresh air and blow air full speed through the windscreen vents. Almost every car with AC has this.

Yes it's having it, but it lets outside air to enter inside, which most of the times is very much polluting, specially during city traffic conditions, so i use it very rarely.

Till now switching AC at 23 deg C cabin temp does the job fine.

The demister is designed to let in air from outside. Why it does so? Because it needs to balance the level of humidity and temprature to that of the outside which will help is faster demisting. Its a life saver especially in rainy season were visibility is restored within 5 secs when torrential showers fall.

The windscreen would gather mist again in some time in case you demist it using the aircon and you would probably have to repeat the procedure every time to demist the windscreen. Also, in case you put the aircon to auto mode, it would turn off the recirculation mode and let the outside air in which might at times not be healthy enough at places. The solution I practice? I use the heater function with the air directed towards the feet and the windscreen together at medium blower speeds to begin with. The warm air at your feet along with the stream directed to the windscreen would ensure that you do not get a headache as typically observed while using a car heater. As soon as the windscreen demists, lower down the blower speed to the minimum level to ensure that the windscreen stays warm & sans any mist and the cabin does not heat beyond comfortable limits to cause nausea/ headaches. In case you still feel warm inside, lower the driver side window by an inch for sometime till you feel comfortable again. It always works in my case and would hopefully do so in yours too.