dr_nishu

SCOOP ! FIAT Punto Crossover(Avventure !) spied in India EDIT: Punto facelift too

For the first time, Spied recently is the FIAT Punto crossover (Avventure !) near the FIAT factory in Maharashtra. As can be seen in the pics, the car is camouflaged at sides & completely covered from the back(tail-gate & bumper section) which are going to feature the changes, to make it look as a cross-over/SUV.

post-67-0-76188100-1390848004_thumb.jpg

Lets expect other host of changes from its regular hatchback avatar to distinguish it from the latter & to make her look like a Crossover/SUV like, like body cladding, different light, front bumper, etc.

An excerpt from source article reveals,

Gorgeous styling, the popular 'Multijet' diesel engine and all the initial hype and hoopla not withstanding, the Fiat Punto could hardly make an impact in the Indian market. In a country obsessed with hatchbacks, Punto's sales figures continue to disappoint month after month. But, Fiat isn't ready to let the Punto go anytime soon. As part of its strategic plans for the Indian market, the Italian company was said to be working on a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) that measured less than 4 meters in length. Then came reports that this model would be a pseudo-SUV based on the Punto.Caught testing in the outskirts of Pune where Fiat's factory is located, this Punto was partially camouflaged at the rear. The front and the sides are left uncamouflaged, making us believe that this new variant will have no or minimal changes in those areas. Changes seem to be aplenty in the rear though, with the most significant being the presence of spare tire in the tailgate. An all-new bumper with a swing-arm to accommodate the tire is also expected to be a part of the list of changes. As evident from the taillights that are similar to the current Punto, the eagerly-awaited 'Evo' facelift seems to have evaded India yet again.

post-67-0-06510100-1390848008_thumb.jpg

(Source: anything-on-wheels.blogspot.in)

Looking at the spy pictures the Punto facelift will get restyled front and rear bumper with 15/16 inch wheels and the Avventura the wheel size and GC is big (maybe 17 inchers i hope). Also the pictures above shown as production model is doubtfull; definitely the wheels will be different and the orange splash inside and dials above the AC vent won't make it. But I if they give what they have shown then I will pay 9.5+ on road price for it.

So after the upcoming launch of New Linea, we can expect Punto to undergo facelift for India, which include new set of bumpers, headlights, tail-lights & might be accompanied with few refreshed bits for its interiors, shared with New Linea i'd say.

The good thing is that this face-lift for Punto seems to be the recent one, not just a picked bits from other Punto facelifts from other markets.

The Punto and the Linea are great cars themselves, and they were never really the worry or the reason for the sluggish sales. I used to think when I first saw the Punto in Italy that I would own this car if it comes to India, but when it finally did, I didn't buy it. The sales and support of Fiat cars then were not promising. Fiat has done a good thing by going it solo on the sales and service, and stop piggybacking Tata. Better late than never. I hope they instill more buyer confidence by doing so.

Fiat onslaught!! Bring it on Fiat! Their engine runs india and cars dont sell in india. Y? Better cars, bigger dealer network and hopefully better after sales service. Thats the way to go.