Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

Popular Indian cars fails Crash safety tests

Most small Indian cars don’t meet UN safety and Global NCAP standards. Many Indian cars score zero on crash & safety tests, European cars with airbags score better.

post-67-0-72680700-1391281095.jpg

post-67-0-13045600-1391282678.jpg

NCAP, a body that regularly crash tests cars in Europe, has conducted a first ever independent crash tests on some of India’s best-selling cars – the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Tata Nano, Ford Figo, Hyundai i10, and the Volkswagen Polo. All the cars chosen by Global NCAP were entry-level versions (thats the standard procedure), and hence didn’t come with airbags; placing them at a disadvantage.

Two test were carried out, the UN's basic safety test (40 percent offset at 56kph) and the Global NCAP test (40 percent offset at 64kph).

Ford Figo

Of the cars tested, only the Ford Figo passed the UN test despite not having a driver airbag. It was close, as the driver's head narrowly missed the steering wheel, but the Figo passed.

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800

[media=]

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 fared very poorly at the front crash tests, as expected as it was already very much criticized for very thin quality metal sheet used for its body panels. With already fully crashed front end after the impact, impact transmitted to roof as well. As can be seen in the video, its dash panels also tore & flying apart after the crash, adding up secondary injuries to already crashed crash dummies.

Source article also reveals,

The tests also showed that the Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Tata Nano and Hyundai i10 proved to have inadequate structural integrity, resulting in damage of varying degrees, which can often result in life-threatening injuries or worse. Experts said that the extent of structural damage was such that fitting airbags would not make much of a difference in reducing the risk of serious injury in these cars . The Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo’s structure remained intact, hence fitting them with airbags would improve their rating.

However, I V Rao, Managing Executive officer Maruti, said that Maruti's cars were not designed and engineered with these specific tests in mind, putting them at a comparative disadvantage. He also added that based on Maruti's observations, customers only chose airbags in conjunction with other features in India.

Continued to next post..

Hyundai i10

Hyundai i10 also performed poorly at the crash tests with impact being transmitted till the half of the car with affected roof as well.

TATA Nano

[media=]

TATA Nano fared very poorly at the Offset front crash tests at both 56 & 64kmph with its bodyshell itself didn't resisting the force of impact & got bend till the center of the car. Also can be seen in video, its Crash dummy getting the injury from displacement of steering wheel also, as it features old-school Non-collapsible steering wheel hence transmitting whole impact into itself & onto the driver.

David Ward, secretary general of Global NCAP said the objective was to raise awareness of safety in India. "Structural integrity and low-cost cars can go hand in hand," he emphasised. One thing's for sure, the debate on safer cars in India has just seen its strongest argument.

Continued to next post..

Volkswagen Polo

(without Airbags)

[media=]

(with Driver+Passenger Airbags)

VW has decided to withdraw the non-airbag-equipped version from the Indian market and upgrade all its cars with airbags. As a result "it was awarded a pass based on dummy readings from the 64kph crash", according to NCAP. All other carmakers were given the chance to upgrade their cars in this manner.

Max Moseley, chairman of Global NCAP said, “India is now a major global market and the production centre for small cars, so it’s worrying to see levels of safety that are 20 years behind the five-star standards now common in Europe and North America. Poor structural integrity and the absence of airbags are putting the lives of Indian consumers at risk. They have a right to know how safe their vehicles are and to expect the same basic levels of safety that customers in other part of the world get as standard.”

(Source: Excerpts taken from article named 'Indian cars fails crash safety tests' posted at Autocar India homepage).

What about Indica Vista ?

Of all the cars that are listed above, Vista `seems/appears' to be strong to the naked eye.

Curious to know about it's rating.

If Ford's Figo has failed, there is no need to talk about Toyota's twin hatches or Chevvy's Beat.

Similarly, in SUV/MUV category, what about Toyota's Innova ? And, Mahindra's Xylo and XUV500 ?

I am shocked to note Maruti's Mr.Rao's comments, what does he mean when he says the cars are not designed for such kind of tests, you design cars for people to drive in safety the test results come later.

It was always know that Suzuki has cut corners in India when they sell their cars and this is going to make a huge impact on them over time I am sure.

Others are equally to be blamed, just because the demand for cheaper cars is higher does not mean that you can play around with the lives of aam aadmi.

He is becoming more assertive so all the manufacturers should "mind it".

Edited by anijog

Nothing unexpected here. its no wonder that India has the worst safety record of all large nations in terms of road accidents. Indian cars are miles behind European ones in terms of body stiffness and crash worthiness. The least the indian Govt should do is to make airbags and abs compulsory in all cars

VW has made some effort in giving us safer cars, so that's a start. They still need to offer us better cars for the price. VWs are overpriced and loaded light, so you get the idea they're not taking us seriously- and it shows in their sales, too. For VW, it is simple- sell the same cars in India as they do in the UK, Australia and NZ. Unusually, VW's European competitors Fiat and Renault are not listed in these tests.

Maruti, I feel, is the most hypocritical company in the Indian automotive industry. They constantly advocate road safety, safe and sane driving, and have a very elaborate driving training programme, but it counts for nothing when they continue to peddle unsafe cars with poor build quality, poor brakes, poor gears and a tendency to catch fire and lock the occupants inside with no escape. The more I read about Maruti and their safety issues, the less I like them.

The Tata Nano was a poor choice as a consumer car, and the NCAP test show it still is. You can't be safe on any road in something built at a dirt cheap price. If people are buying this car only for price and mileage, they're better off walking or riding bicycles.

Hyundai's poor scores just reconfirm they're paper/plastic copies of European cars, although the ratings for cars in higher classes will be a little better.

Most of these cars don't sell in Europe, or UK, or the Americas, or ANZ. We find several offerings by VW, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Seat, Alfa and other companies with a reputation of building safe cars. We want them to sell their cars here in India. That can do its bit in making our roads safer.

The Government should also step in, and do its bit towards making our cars, and our roads, safer. First, ban all cars that do not score four stars in NCAP. It not only takes care of safety, but also reduces traffic on roads. Then, provide incentives to cars that score better in NCAP, so that all car companies are compelled to create safer machines.

life in this coun try is CHEAP-we are overpopulated etc and have maintained the highest death rate in road traffic accidents many times-no TOM, DICK or HARRY bothers abt rd safety or vehcle safety- i have seen top towns like nagpur in the 90s with people driving without helmets and one policewalla i acquainted myself with telling me -public nahi manti etc.adding critical safety features should be the benchmark laid down by the govt, iknow manufacturer will hike prices but so what. the government must insist of critical safety like airbags,abs and structural strength and set up a stringent lab test of facility for the same- but i know this wont happen-bribes will fly the moment such a verdict is announced.at the current state every car wall ais obsessed with only mileage

i don't get it. We want cheap cars and then we complain about safety. Only way cars can be made cheaper and safe is if ABS, EBD & Airbags are manufactured in India.

Point to be noted!If airbags would've been manufactured in india, then the price would've been less.

In India, manufacturers build cars keeping in mind two type of customers, one-those who can afford and second- those who cannot afford. And then after manufacturing, the best marketing technique is to price it cheaper by stripping off the car over its lifetime. So basically manufacturers offer various trim levels of their vehicle models with or without basic safety.The car with less safety features...gets more cheaper...and we run after that blindly.

The best examples are Maruti and Hyundai. They make poor build cars neglecting basic safety features. They price them competitively and we get ourselves ready to compromise.

Nissan, even having a nice portfolio of cars, brought in Datsun range to India. It is the cheaper and bare basic variant with absolutely no basic safety feature. But still it is able to grab the limelight due to its competitive pricing.

Every manufacturer is trying to make there cars cheaper by compromising safety and we are okay with it as long as cars are getting cheaper.