pecobianajay

Would like people to help me...

Good Afternoon Friends !

Currently I am running my Hyundai-i10 from last six year since my daily drive is approximately 100 Km on state highway it is economically not viable to run petrol car having not good mileage so thought of going ahead with buying new car. I have seen and test drives all the option from small sedan till D-1 category Treanno. Initially I shortlisted Vento or Rapid but due to feedback of high maintenance cost dropped Rapid. Finally restrict myself with budget of 11 and tried to finalise the car. Now I have to choose from Honda City Diesel (SVMT) Vs Duster (RxL+) but not able to take a wise decision.

Difficulty in taking decision:

Since it’s my hard earned money would like to extract best out of the money and should not take decision based on emotion for next 6 to 7 years minimum. Now the situation is : I like SUV but when it comes to fuel efficiency , drivability of car since wife also need to drive and interior since need to travel daily should be pleasing enough to get rid of office tension and enjoy the ride Honda City seems to be a better option. But when it comes to highway run, safety, maintenance since there are too many gadgets , cabin noise (major concern) and very new engine of HONDA having no major feedbacks available in market Honda city is becoming a beast of concern to me (logically). I am very much confused in such case however my loving wifey is ready to compromise and ready to drive duster whatever way.

could you please help me in taking wise decision since it is for all long years wherein I have to live with the decision I am going to take today. I hope to see your immediate response on that.

@pecobianajay

Welcome to the forum.

Since you say that on one hand you like SUV and on the other your wife also need to drive the vehicle,

why not look for a mini SUV instead of a regular sedan ?

Try Ford's Ecosport. It looks like a SUV but (being small) drives like a car. Similarly, you may also try Maruti's

Ertiga. Most probably, both of you would certainly like one of these two. I do not wish to suggest Mahindra's

Quanto as ladies may (I may be wrong here) not find it suitable to drive.

I suggest that you both take a test drive of these two mini SUVs before deciding.

In case you decide to stick to a sedan shaped car, then Honda's City is better. No debate on that.

First of all welcome to the Forums.

See, you drive mainly on highways, in this aspect the SUV is perfect. But rather than Duster I would go with the Maruti Ertiga. It's a proper family MUV. As your wife is also driving, it would be easier to drive than the duster.

And from the Shortlisted cars if I had to choose one, I'll definitely go the SUV way.

Take a TD of the cars from your shortlist and Ertiga before buying.

Good luck :)

@pecobianajay

Firstly, welcome to ACI.

On your question, here my suggestions

1 - Look for EcoSport Diesel Titanium which will come under 11 easily. It gives you FE of 22.7 KMPL as per ARAI so the real world FE figures would be ~17 to 18 KMPL which is very good one. It is loaded with features, a nice Ford driving experience as Ford cars are known for driving and handling. intierior is good too but it is dark. Also, it has little less leg room compare to Duster/Terrano on the rear.

2 - Honda City Diesel - it is the freshest one in these, with 1.5L Dtech engine. 98 HP, 26KMPL FE as per ARAI which should be at least ~20 KMPL in real world scenario. Interiors are plush, beige colour, very good interior space. And dont worry about Honda diesel, it is though a bit noise but NVH levels are better then Amaze.

3 - Terrano Diesel - Yes I am not suggesting Duster because duster is about to get a facelift and also its interior is way down in the class, not much appeal at all. So Terrano which has better interior and fresh exterior. FE is around 19 to 20 KMPL as per ARAI so the real world FE figures would be ~14.5 to 16 KMPL. Again, both of these are good car, with decent drivability.

Edited by Sstar

Hi

Just stay with safety features and milage. You must have ABS, AIR BAG and Electronic control . Compare all those car objectively in excel sheet like safety, milage, service interval and service cost, spare parts availability last but not the least customer feedback for the car and after sales experience. Rest is optional.Rest is optional.

My choice is Toyota INNOVA

My choice is Toyota INNOVA

Innova with 11 Lac budget will just the be the base variant and will not be a feature safety rich variant at all.

Edited by Sstar

HI

I guess, Indian independent lady (IIL) may drive the INNOVA. INNOVA is very DRIVER friendly car. If you look for the Honda City D may come in the budget, none the less the Honda City is not a complete package so question is what is the complete package with a limited Budget.

I wonder why not Fiat Linea 90 BHP with all the safety feature.

Disclaimer : Its my opinion as I will not have a test drive of the car does not have safety features forgot about Indian Highway drive.

Your priorities are : Economy, Low maintenance, wife friendly, SUV weakness, less gadget oriented

Your options:

Nissan Terrano - Compact SUV, fresh look than Renault Duster, easy maneuverability, economic (17~18 kmpl)

Renualt Duster - Slowly dating and loosing its charm. Not a good option.

Ford Ecosport - I personally dont like the rear seats. But loaded with features and fresh style.

Fiat Avventura - Coming Soon. I believe its worth waiting.

Toyota innova - Lots of space, best in comfort, good for a family of 5-7 persons, mileage approx 11~13kmpl

Honda City iDTEC - Best option only if you can ignore the engine refinement and NVH levels.

Fiat New Linea 2014 - Premium inside and out, cheaper spares, 200mm ground clearance, award winning engine, loaded with features and tank like build.

Ford new Fiesta 2014 - Seems worth waiting. Promising looks.