vineet

Which one - 10 to 15lakhs

For a person who drives anywhere between 3000 to 4000kms a month. It is said the best car is a diesel car.

Can you plz suggest which car to buy in a price range of 10 to 15 lakhs?

I am ok with SUV's (but not the sad safari or scorpios of the world).

At 40,000+ km per month you are definitely solidly in the diesel territory.

I would suggest the Laura (DSG-Auto is an excellent option). If you later feel short or power (I doubt will) you can always look at the Pete's Box to jack up the power & torque by about 20% with zero consumption penalty. This is a plug in device to remap the Engine Control Unit. I will put the Laura before the Octavia since the latter is a model which has been discontinued, and wha twe get as Laura is Octavia worldwide.

As you hinted you are in the ground between the locally built SUV's and the CBU imports.

for your driving definitely the diesel car...well for starters consider a rugged vehicle since your driving is high.....luxary cars wont be able to take too much brunt and would prove to be a big damper on your pocket.

look at the suv`s....the Endavour is good(after the change in engine and fresh model)well in your budget this is the best pick....

Zavo. Agreed but the remap does not cost a bomb - approx. Rs.29k.

The DSG box is a real beauty with near zero penalty in consumption and power. Also, avoids all the recent hot-air about the clutch!

Sadly the Skodas are very high on maintenence , so no point in going for the Laura , i think the Hyundai Sonata Embera would be the better choice or else stick to the Toyota Innova

Regards,

Priya

But don't you think it is better to buy a Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel (top model) then??

It is for nearly 11lakhs in Delhi (top Model) & I have heard some good things about it.

This saves some money also. What say??

A GM should be a sound car, but with no image (Chevrolet in the US is the blue collar workers car!). Whay are they not having Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac in India. Of late a Skoda has a good image worldwide.

By all accounts the Skoda is a known devil, while the GM may or may not be the unknown angel.

High on maintenance is a subjective thing. Imported spares will cost more than local ones. Also, I do not expect the maintenance of my Accent to be the same as the Santro even though both are Hyundai products. Overall I prefer sticking to an established product rather than an unknown entity. If you want to stop down why not an Octavia (at under 10L I hear).

As the famous Italian Count once said, A Ford will never be a Ferrari.

and ya about optra magnum.......

i was consedring it a while back and took a test drive and all..... since there was so much hype about it's better performance than skoda.....

I asked the sales guy two question's.....

1. "Why is the vinrating so much....... and it's so slow in pick and all"

ans. sir, it's a test drive car........ so lotz of people drive it every day and therefore wear and tear...... a new one would be perfectly fine....

Why in the world then he made me drive that car.........

2. So you say it's better than skoda octavia?

ans yes sir....

How many on-board computers does it have?

ans. what are on-board computers sir?..... i am not aware of that

magnum is not comparable to octavia.........

just that octavia is may be phased out that's the only negative point.......

about all that clutch plate issues and alll...... many may not know octavia has been upgraded all along... with better clutch plate and all

the model which i and riche has are the ADHL once...... only this one seems to have the clucth plate prob.......

if i had to put magnum in a segment..... i would put btw verna and octavia....

and that also closer to verna.......