FuelRunGod

Pulsar 220 or Karizma?

Which one?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

The 220 all the way.

Looks wise, the 220 looks smaller than the Zma, but Fi, 20 bhp, rear disk, all those goodies and only 10K more, I mean for a bloke who can shell out 83k for the Zma surely can shell out that extra 10 grand.

And of course, performance wise, the 220 is always distinctly aheadsmiley1.gif

When I first saw the Pulsar 220 in the photos, I frankly did not like its looks.

But then I happened to see it in the flesh and believe me you..  I couldnt get my eyes off it. It doesnt have the perfect propotions but it certainly has the WOW..!! factor to it. 

See it in the flesh to believe it.

And then I happened to take the Pulsar 220 for a test ride.

The next thing I know was that I was signing the Booking Amount.

Now I cant wait for my Red Pulsar 220 to be delivered.

Same for me too...Initially I was skeptical about the bike when I first saw it at AE06...

But when I saw finished bike pics and saw it in reality....thats when I really likes this bike a lot!

Anyways as of now this is the best bike in the market, incase any competing product from TVS or Honda comes along then we can have another debate...

But as of today the 220 undoubtedly is the best there is in the market!

OK, how many Bajaj cynics would believe that the UG III pulsars, on sale here in Singapore, have better plastics and general fit n finish than the Yamaha Fazer 250?

This one dimensional stereotyping of Bajaj products reminds me of the Ford ad campaign from a while back.

Have you driven(ridden) a Ford(Bajaj), lately?

Lastly, as far as the topic is concerned, my vote most definitely goes to the 220. No doubt, the Karizma is a great bike, but its a classic case of too little for too much, and since Munjal Inc. cant change even the graphics without prior permission from Japan (come to think of it, they DO get THAT stuff done pretty fast! smiley36.gif ), only a brave, brave man would bet his money on the Karizma getting FI.

OK' date=' how many Bajaj cynics would believe that the UG III pulsars, on sale here in Singapore, have better plastics and general fit n finish than the Yamaha Fazer 250? 

... only a brave, brave man would bet his money on the Karizma getting FI.
[/quote']

Synn great to see you here in action bro.. smiley1.gif

Bajaj Pulsar UG III has better levels of Fit and Finish than the Yamaha Fazer..??  WOW..!!

According to what I have observed. The fit and finish of the current generation of Pulsars are nothing less than the best available in India. Even the TVS Apache has great fit and finish.

The 223 cc Karizma is based on the Honda CRF 230 engine (again 223 cc) sold in Brazil. And according to me, the CRF still doesnt feature "FI" yet..!!

4r8am95.jpg

Will Honda develop a "FI" specially for the Karizma and give it to Hero Honda before it features on the CRF 230..??

Your guess is as good as mine.

I am not a die hard or for the matter any brand fan, but I prefer Bajaj because (of course) of their direction they are taking, they have opened a lot of avenues, they always keep trying... and as Synn puts it, even the quality (which I dont know why people have a question about it anyway) is now of International standards. They give the common man choices.

I have already voted for the 220, but recently I have been watching my neighbours 220... somehow I feel it looks smaller than the Zma, maybe for that front thingy, dunno, the Zma definitely looks bigger when seen alone. If somehow one can give a good covering to the puny engine of the Zma, it very well resembles a 750.

But the 200, for sure is one helluva looker, especially from the rear 2/3rd

Totally agree! I love the rear 3/4 look of the P200. I find the P200 far better looking than the 220.

Even I had similar opinions.. in fact I was about to book the Pulsar 200.. 

and then I happened to take the Pulsar 220 for a test ride..!! 

Now I am waiting for the delivery.. smiley1.gif

Will Honda develop a "FI" specially for the Karizma and give it to Hero Honda before it features on the CRF 230..??

Your guess is as good as mine.

[/quote']

I might be missing some info from the international biking scene! But Honda gave HH the FI for Glamour, which im sure wasnt developed just for the Glamour! Same way either Honda has a similar bike from which the FI system can be put on or their FI system is modular and can be put on apna Karizma!

Anyways if ever HH launches a FI Karizma then expect it to be just a Karizma+FI+More Stickers @ 10K extra!!!

@Synna: Hey nice to see you around here man!!!

Just one question does bajaj use better plastics for the bike for the export market??

I might be missing some info from the international biking scene! But Honda gave HH the FI for Glamour' date=' which im sure wasnt developed just for the Glamour! Same way either Honda has a similar bike from which the FI system can be put on or their FI system is modular and can be put on apna Karizma![/quote']

Very valid point, even if it was, why limit to only 1 model, I mean HH can give Zma Fi & Zma Non-Fi, right?

It makes sense that due to the cost factor, Bajaj has put the Fi in the flagship model and thereby there is a steep difference betwenn the 200 and 220 in the price section.

Fi will obviously help, but what was the sense of putting a Fi in 125 by HH, I mean, people going for a 125 will also have the cost factor in mind itna mehanga hein, toh 150 hi le leta hoon! That sentiment , you know. Fi on a 125 definitely was not to feel the market as Fi has already been proven internationally. Its like giving electric start to a 125 cc, while you are kicking hard for your 200 cc.

I am not a MBA, but if someone could explain the logic behind it, obviously I would be obliged and enlightened toosmiley36.gif

Even I had similar opinions.. in fact I was about to book the Pulsar 200.. 

and then I happened to take the Pulsar 220 for a test ride..!! 

Now I am waiting for the delivery.. smiley1.gif[/quote']

Of course, the 220 must be having one helluva performance, straightway performance you want, go for the 200.

Lookss and VFM, go for the 200.

Payeng, Best of Luck, may the DELIVERY smiley36.gifhappen soon

Praful: The glamour FI, in the same exact shape and form, has been on sale in Thailand for quite a while now. Guess which company sells it.. smiley4.gif

That being said, of course, in theory, the system should be flexible enough to be adapted to various single cylinder engines in the portfolio. But the question is, would Honda WANT to do it? Especially if HMSI themselves are aiming for a shot at glory..

Who am I kidding? Theyll probably launch another punybike to counter the "fresh competition"... smiley36.gif

P.S. I left India shortly after the initial batch of UG IIIs were unveiled. I would say that there is no apparent difference in the quality of the bikes I saw there and the ones here.

P.P.S. Payeng: Dont expect an FI system in the CRF 230 anytime soon. Off roaders the world over still mostly rely on carbs and *gasp* 4 speed gearboxes. In fact, 08 model year marks the first time ever that Yamaha has put an FI system in ANY of their offroaders....

Praful: The glamour FI' date=' in the same exact shape and form, has been on sale in Thailand for quite a while now. Guess which company sells it.. smiley4.gif[/quote']

Yes, even I was aware of that one..  the model there is called "Honda Wave" which is a 125 cc step thru with PGM-Fi and front discs..  The same 125 cc engine architecture has been used for the 125 cc series from Hero Honda.

4vpoeis.jpg

Now then..  is there anyone who thought that the Glamour PGM-Fi was developed by Honda specially for India (or Hero Honda for that matter).

Like a great person once quoted in an internet forum "Hero Honda doesnt believe in re-inventing the wheel"

Like a great person once quoted in an internet forum "Hero Honda doesnt believe in re-inventing the wheel"

To whoever said that, "well said!" smiley1.gif Riders want more to a bike than simple wheels. Its time Hero Honda starts marketing something new, and something that will make its source as Hero Honda, in India.

To whoever said that, "well said!" smiley1.gif Riders want more to a bike than simple wheels. Its time Hero Honda starts marketing something new, and something that will make its source as Hero Honda, in India.
[/quote']

Wel, actually that Great Person (sarcasm) was actually Defending Hero Hondas philosophy of not getting an R&D of its own

He was of the opinion that since Honda Tech is so "good, proven and reliable", why should Hero Honda think of investing in putting together an R&D team of its own..!! smiley3.gif

I was just trying to highlight that as Bajaj came up with all its idea with a strong focus on the INDIAN thing. Look at its massive shares.

The design of Pulsar 220 had two things in mind:

1. Unmatched features when compared to Karizma.

2. Same price as Karizma.

To match the price with that of Karizma, Bajaj had to compromise on something. The being unique factor for P220. Bajaj had to manufacture more of P220s body parts with the digital tacho and install them on the 150, 180 and 200 as well. Thus, P220 lost its attraction among the crowd. The only advantage with this is that they would reduce the manufacturing cost and also give all other impressive features.

On the other hand, Karizma had to suffer the royalty to be paid to Honda. Had the idea been its own, now there would have been a tough argument between the new Karizma and the P220. But now, Karizma has its downside on the price for which they dont have an answer. They just cant provide more than what the latest version has. Doing so would only burn a bigger hole in the buyers pocket.

Also, its been 6 years since the first Karizma was in. It was an excellent show by Hero Honda for having got a bike to survive on top, in its class, for such a long time. But, its time to change. A new bike from Hero Honda would have been a good surprise. Maintaining the style would have been an added trick.

To sum up, I appreciate Hero Hondas proven results. But Bajajs "INDIAN" theory has appealed more and has shown great results, both on the bikes performance and on business aspects.

Praveen Selvam

After all the years in existance on Indian roads, the Karizma has become a common sight.

• It doesnt attract the kind of attention once that it used to command.

• The Pulsar 220 on the otherhand is still a rare sight on the road.. 

In case Bajaj is deliberately not speeding up the production of the P220 just to keep up with the demand, then Id say its not that  bad a business move to keep it exclusive.

Do you think P220 would have a next version? If so, when would you predict one?

Praveen Selvam[/quote']

Dont have any idea on that..

The P220 has just starting arriving at the showrooms...    I hope the upgrades dont come out very soon...   I am expecting my P220 in a few weeks from now. smiley9.gif

@Payeng: Any updates on wen ur getting your 220? I would be gettin it around the same time too!

Anyways, the 220 is good bike...but for the next iteration we would have to wait for a year at max....and I hope that bajaj has better quality for the next iteration!!!

Anyways, the 220 is good bike...but for the next iteration we would have to wait for a year at max....and I hope that bajaj has better quality for the next iteration!!!

[/quote']

Any guesses on the next upgrades, in case there is one? smiley2.gif

Praveen Selvam

Yup...

Just like the Pulsar tradition...

Expect all niggles to be sorted out and lots a new tech to make way onto the bike...

But then just like the pulsar tradition....the new stuff will have niggling issues!!! :D

Anyways....for the moment lets enjoy the current 220!