friends,

I'm have Hyundai Verna Diesel Model at present .. Now Planning to go for Compact SUV .. I'm planning for Renault Duster 110 ps And Ford Ecosport Titaniumn Diesel....I'm having certain queries regarding the resale value and maintenance Cost between renault duster and ecosport... And my usage is mostly off road... Please suggest me which one is the best bet for the money spent ..

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Before buying a new vehicle, list out your priorities.

Why are you buying a new vehicle ?

I am sure, resale value, should not be the main deciding factor.

Moreover, resale value of any car shall depend upon so many variables,

like the condition of the car, mileage done, availability of spares at

that time, cost of maintenance and the trend in vogue.

Can anyone say today, what shall be the price after five or six years

for a vehicle which is yet to be bought ?

When you say your usage is mostly off road, I expect that the new vehicle

shall be used in such a way that the wear and tear will be certainly more

(than what it would have been, had the car been driven mostly in city).

So, simple logic says that your used vehicle would certainly get less resale value.

And, that also, depends upon the mileage done.

Both these cars are relatively new in the market so its early to say about their re-sale value and depreciation. Both Ford and Renault don't have a rock-solid reputation like Honda or Toyota. Used cars need more service and looking after than new cars and the after sales service comes into the picture here. Ford and Renault don't score well here, so its unlikely that they will command value like, say a Toyota Innova. Used car buyers want a car that is reliable and that doesn't break down, I guess the Renault Duster with its strong basics may have the edge over the Ecosport on that count.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Before buying a new vehicle, list out your priorities.

Why are you buying a new vehicle ?

I am sure, resale value, should not be the main deciding factor.

Moreover, resale value of any car shall depend upon so many variables,

like the condition of the car, mileage done, availability of spares at

that time, cost of maintenance and the trend in vogue.

Can anyone say today, what shall be the price after five or six years

for a vehicle which is yet to be bought ?

When you say your usage is mostly off road, I expect that the new vehicle

shall be used in such a way that the wear and tear will be certainly more

(than what it would have been, had the car been driven mostly in city).

So, simple logic says that your used vehicle would certainly get less resale value.

And, that also, depends upon the mileage done.

Here I totally agree with rameshbabu.n .

Normally we dont buy vehicles keeping resale value as a prime criteria. Also Renault Duster's lustre is slowly fading out. Recently I have seen many Dusters met with roll over accidents. The lower arm setup provided is of poor quality and it tends to break in tight corners at speeds.

Why dont you eye on Nissan Terrano. Its fresh and at this point of time a lot better than Duster. Though basic mechanical will remain same.

Happy Buying

@mr.lonely88 - for your offroading needs...none of the choices which you have shortlisted are going to to fulfill that. Both of them are soft roaders, with high ground clearance which make people feel that they are off roading vehicles. None of them offers 4x4 option.

For offroading, I would suggest you pick Mahindra Thar (do check it out). It is a rugged vehicle purely for offroading. You can also look for Scorpio 4x4 as well.

If you are still very keen on selecting either Duster or Ecosport - pick Duster. Simply because 110 Ps Vs 90. And Ford maintenance is always a dark spot.

On maintenance - Thar < Scorpio < Duster < EcoSport (Thar is least)

On offRoading - EcoSport < Duster < Scorpio < Thar (Thar is Best)

On resale - Thar < EcoSport < Duster < Scoprio (being Thar at least because of not appealing to mass crowd. EcoSport is still new so not sure about how many would like to buy an old one. Duster proven but again dated and same with Scorpio. However, since Scorpio is known for low maintenance so I am giving this point as a plus for reselling it.