sibasis_FIAT

Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Safari STORME

Few days back one of my close friend decided to get a bigger vehicle for himself. Bigger in the sense of a SUV/MUV. Presently he owns a Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo. After a lot of brainstorming, our decisions landed with Mahindra XUV 500 w8 and Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2.

We borrowed a brand new Storme from my cousin for two days of test drive. Also we got a XUV for 45 min of test drive.

My friend wants to invest not more than 15.3 lacs. He needs a combination of both advanced technology and road presence.

Our two days experience with Storme was very nice. The road presence and go-any-where ability of Storme was amazing. We were impressed by the landrover inspired design cues and the excellent space at front and middle seats. If we enumerate the pros and cons of Storme, it will be like this,

Pros:

True off roader

Space management

Perfectly matched gears

Fresh design

Easy to maneuver

Simple interiors

Cons:

Body roll

No climate control AC

No steering mounted controls

Ergonomically no designed switches and controls

No driver management system

Non-practical third row seats

Then we had our hands on a XUV 500 w8 FWD. It was curvy and the design was different. Its like love it or hate it kind of. We personally found there is no road presence for this beast. Its more like a car than a SUV. But what surprised us was its interiors Itz extremely premium. The seats were like perfectly sculpted with leather. The space management is perfect. Middle row seats have plenty of space and comfort. Climate control AC is highly efficient and chills every bit of cabin in no time. There are so many features to count and it is loaded with technology. 6'' infotainment with touch is of top notch quality. Tyretronics, intellipark, ESP, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, cornering lights, mood lighting and so the list goes on.

Pros:

Loaded with technologies

Premium inside

Lots of space

So many creature comforts

Stable ride

Less body roll

Cruise Control

Third row has practical usage.

Cons:

Very low ground clearance 170mm

Not a true off roader

No road presence

Service issues due to electronics

Poor braking

These are our views. I would request our members to please suggest your views on this.Thank you.

Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 - 14.1 lacs on road

Mahindra XUV 500 W8 FWD - 14.9 lacs on road

@sibasis_FIAT, from VFM perspective, it's XUV 500.

Neither of them are totally niggle free (though Storme might be just a bit better than XUV due to lesser electronics).

Also, none of them are true 7 seater.

To me, if you want a true off-roader then Storme is any day better than XUV.

However, if you will using it for soft roading or in City only then XUV is better.

If you go for XUV, then I will suggest look for either W4 or W6 variant as they have lesser electronics (still have safety features) hence lesser prone to problems.

Else, for a 5 seater SUV, you might also want to consider Duster/Terrano.

... Presently he owns a Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo....

... He needs a combination of both advanced technology and road presence...

... But what surprised us was its interiors Itz extremely premium. The seats were like perfectly sculpted with leather. The space management is perfect. Middle row seats have plenty of space and comfort. Climate control AC is highly efficient and chills every bit of cabin in no time. There are so many features to count and it is loaded with technology. 6'' infotainment with touch is of top notch quality. Tyretronics, intellipark, ESP, rain sensing wipers, auto lights, cornering lights, mood lighting and so the list goes on...

I think your friend should go in for XUV500, since he is coming from a Zen Estilo, he

expects reliable and prompt service. In my experience, Mahindra's service is prompt,

efficient and reliable. I do not know much about Tata's but the way it was discussed

here, it looks as if their service is not upto the mark. Kindly advice him that servicing

is very important and one of the deciding factors when one is spending about 15-16 lakhs.

So, let him go to the service centres (near to his place) and get some feedback/info.

It helps a lot talking to a couple of owners.

XUV500 offers, as you already said and discovered, the best interiors and equipment and

features (when compared to Strome). Since he wants `advanced technology', XUV500 must be

the natural choice. If I were in his position, I would definitely go in for XUV500.

@sibasis_FIAT: It all depends on your needs for this SUV purchase. If you the person who would like to go on terrains like ladakh...go for SAFARI Storme. However, if you want city and highway specific driving pleasure...XUV should be your pick.

However, as far as road presence is concerned, SAFARI is SAFARI...it still has that macho feel on the road and every other vehicle on the road would like to stay at a distance from you. But XUV on the other hand is a soft roader. It has plenty of feature and premium feel but it does not have a road presence.

So take a second look at your needs and then decided. Both are very capable vehicles, very popular as well. They both have their pros and cons but again keep in mind nothing is 'perfect' and there are give n takes.

@sibasis_FIAT, from VFM perspective, it's XUV 500.

Neither of them are totally niggle free (though Storme might be just a bit better than XUV due to lesser electronics).

Also, none of them are true 7 seater.

To me, if you want a true off-roader then Storme is any day better than XUV.

However, if you will using it for soft roading or in City only then XUV is better.

If you go for XUV, then I will suggest look for either W4 or W6 variant as they have lesser electronics (still have safety features) hence lesser prone to problems.

Else, for a 5 seater SUV, you might also want to consider Duster/Terrano.

Thank you sachins. I was astonished to see a basic single din stereo with after market fitments in the Storme. No steering mounted controls in a 14Lac SUV further disturbed me. But anyways safari is the best thing you 'll have while you are on off roads. Also XUV's ground clearance is pathetic. They say it to be 170mm and they did this to avail tax benefits.

I think your friend should go in for XUV500, since he is coming from a Zen Estilo, he

expects reliable and prompt service. In my experience, Mahindra's service is prompt,

efficient and reliable. I do not know much about Tata's but the way it was discussed

here, it looks as if their service is not upto the mark. Kindly advice him that servicing

is very important and one of the deciding factors when one is spending about 15-16 lakhs.

So, let him go to the service centres (near to his place) and get some feedback/info.

It helps a lot talking to a couple of owners.

XUV500 offers, as you already said and discovered, the best interiors and equipment and

features (when compared to Strome). Since he wants `advanced technology', XUV500 must be

the natural choice. If I were in his position, I would definitely go in for XUV500.

Dear rameshbabu.n , Thank you for your suggestion. I will surely do that. Also I just heard that Mahindra has recently trained their service people specifically on the XUV's electronics. Thats a very good news.

... Also I just heard that Mahindra has recently trained their service people specifically on the XUV's electronics. Thats a very good news...

Mahindras have started exclusive service centres for XUV500 (and Sanggyong range) in

many centres.

I recently went to one in Uppal, Hyderabad where the other vehicles are not accepted

'generally' for servicing (like Boleros/Scorpios/Xylos/Quantos/Veritos/Logans) and

they will also not take any taxi-plate-vehicles.

This centre is exclusively for top end personal vehicles only.

Nice to see that segmentation and the facility.

Notwithstanding the above exclusivity, I got my Xylo serviced there during my recent

trip to Hyderabad.

Edited by rameshbabu.n

Personally i would prefer the Storme .Its a proper looking SUV with acres of space.

Xuv is good only in parts and does not have the same road presence as that of a Storme

Also the GC of the XUV has now been reduced , TD on the proposed /kindof route you are going to travel and then decide.

I recommend the Storme!

I think its a huge improvement over the previous model. It has a very good road presence and can move over all kinds of roads.

Its spacious and comfortable and is decent to drive.

XUV is not for somebody looking at a butch SUV! Its more of a soft roader and while it may have better interiors its fit and finish is still not upto the mark.

TATA's have improved big time on their after sales service and i dont think thats a problem anymore.

Cheers

Ameet

Hi.

Since your friend will be coming from the hatch feel, both the cars on city and highway roads are equally same. So the cushioned feel of both the cars will be same but then your friend wants a car to be an suv with Latest gadgets and knowledge throwing functions so definately the XUV wins. But both these cars have major problems in specific parts like for XUV, the cars suspension weakens when you are driving at aroung 100-115 kmph then after that its fine. this same problem is present in hyundai products. Mahindra claimed that they have rectified it but i guess they have just updated it a bit. Then with Safari, the big problem with this car which is why this car failed in New Delhi is because of its costly service and costly parts. it is like you are buying a link rod of a skoda superb. The power delivery is more or less the same in both the cars and yes last row is highly pathetic in both these cars

so don't worry about that. Talking of gadgets the XUV is brilliant, they have these fancy stuff and cool looking dials, do remember that fancy looking LED do not last for long time. this is the common problem here with XUV. SAFARI on the other hand is like simple entry level SUV with features just to make you relax like rear air con and very comfy seats. the view area is also much better than XUV. I think since your friend was driving zen and he wants to taste a SUV feel then XUV will deliver in the best ways, all your friends needs are getting fullfilled. Safari is too big for a person who drives a hatch every day. Please don't think service issues on Mahindra. All the companies have same kind of service, just that according if you are paying high amount of money and you expect a service like that and that too in India then my friend think only 1/3 of it. A friend of mine has a beemer 5 and he hates their service so much that every time he wishes to blow up the service building.

Personally i would prefer the Storme .Its a proper looking SUV with acres of space.

Xuv is good only in parts and does not have the same road presence as that of a Storme

Also the GC of the XUV has now been reduced , TD on the proposed /kindof route you are going to travel and then decide.

Absolutely true. Safari's road presence is unrivaled. And now days XUV is becoming so common on roads. In my neighborhood there are a total of 13 cars, out of which 5 are XUVs. This is not a criteria but it makes me think.

Thank you

... And now days XUV is becoming so common on roads. In my neighborhood there are a total of 13 cars, out of which 5 are XUVs...

It simply means that you will get service and spares for XUV500 for a long time to come.

Safari is a good truck and the new Chassis and improved powertrain and gearbox have improved it a lot and it ends there. The body and the controls still hold that classic Safari styling which is not a bad thing but the interior plastic quality is not comparable to the XUV and the switches and controls are not put together well. The Xuv handles better since its a monocoque chassis and thus the body panels have inherent better fit and finish.

If you are going to offroad then buy the AWD XUV since FWD won't have much grip since the laden weight will be more on the rear. But the Safari is RWD so it is better on steep slippery climb but the 4x4 in Safari is an another level of traction (driving in snow and tough terrain).

I recommend the Storme!

I think its a huge improvement over the previous model. It has a very good road presence and can move over all kinds of roads.

Its spacious and comfortable and is decent to drive.

XUV is not for somebody looking at a butch SUV! Its more of a soft roader and while it may have better interiors its fit and finish is still not upto the mark.

TATA's have improved big time on their after sales service and i dont think thats a problem anymore.

Cheers

Ameet

Hi.

Since your friend will be coming from the hatch feel, both the cars on city and highway roads are equally same. So the cushioned feel of both the cars will be same but then your friend wants a car to be an suv with Latest gadgets and knowledge throwing functions so definately the XUV wins. But both these cars have major problems in specific parts like for XUV, the cars suspension weakens when you are driving at aroung 100-115 kmph then after that its fine. this same problem is present in hyundai products. Mahindra claimed that they have rectified it but i guess they have just updated it a bit. Then with Safari, the big problem with this car which is why this car failed in New Delhi is because of its costly service and costly parts. it is like you are buying a link rod of a skoda superb. The power delivery is more or less the same in both the cars and yes last row is highly pathetic in both these cars

so don't worry about that. Talking of gadgets the XUV is brilliant, they have these fancy stuff and cool looking dials, do remember that fancy looking LED do not last for long time. this is the common problem here with XUV. SAFARI on the other hand is like simple entry level SUV with features just to make you relax like rear air con and very comfy seats. the view area is also much better than XUV. I think since your friend was driving zen and he wants to taste a SUV feel then XUV will deliver in the best ways, all your friends needs are getting fullfilled. Safari is too big for a person who drives a hatch every day. Please don't think service issues on Mahindra. All the companies have same kind of service, just that according if you are paying high amount of money and you expect a service like that and that too in India then my friend think only 1/3 of it. A friend of mine has a beemer 5 and he hates their service so much that every time he wishes to blow up the service building.

Thank you so much friends for your valuable inputs. Things have been finalized with Safari.

Thank you Friends. My friend has ended up with Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2 Pearl White.

The music system provided is of Pioneer single din with bluetooth features. Sound quality is ok but not upto the mark. The whole system looks like an after market fitment. Accessories include a very nice seat cover set and side steps. Will update the details and pictures soon.

Once again thank you to everybody !!!