Sign in to follow this  
freakyskull

Govt to do an online auction of VIP car numbers

The transport department is ready to launch its online auction of fancy numberplates. The department has sent a request to the Election Commission for approval. The auction will be held every fortnight and about 140 VIP numbers will be available for every series, according to senior government officials.

The project has been in the offing for over a year now. Though e-auctioning of fancy registration numbers had got the cabinet's nod last year, it was stuck after the file was returned ..

As part of the project, premium numbers will be auctioned at a base price ranging from Rs 20,000 to Rs 5 lakh. The fancy car registration numbers have been divided in five categories with a base price for each. The transport department will announce the registration numbers, which will be put up for sale fortnightly. "Those interested will have to bid and the highest bidder during the 14-day process will eventually get the number," said the official. The highest bidder will get the premium number.

Since last year, no fancy or VIP registration number has been allotted to anyone except the exempt categories like MLA, MP, Union and Delhi government officials, judges, etc. However, transport officials admitted that several fancy numbers have been allotted under this category in this period.

The decision to auction off the fancy numbers was taken after complaints of corruption in allotting these numbers. "People would request the local transport office as well as approach the minister as these numbers come at a premium. Since the consumer was willing to pay so much, the government decided to auction them," said an official. In states like Haryana, Punjab and Goa, auctioning of fancy numbers fetches the government crores in revenue, he added.

Source

20,000 is okay.. And a Lakh too is alright(ish).. But FIVE LAKHS!! One can buy the top end Wagon R for that price..

And at the end of the day, its just a number!

I wouldn't spend that much an amount even if i could afford it! To me, it just doesn't make sense.

How can they do it ? On a pan-India basis ?

RTA functioning is a State subject.

So, technically, only the RTA of a State can do this.

This job, anyway, is being done by them now. Not exactly

through an on-line auction, but fairly transparently (by RTA

standards, though). In many states, auctioning is resorted to.

And, most state RTAs get fabulous money through this route.

Someone paid 20 lakhs for a special number for their LandRover

recently in AP !

... it just doesn't make sense.

For those who need these VIP/special numbers, it makes a lot of sense.

After all, for them, money has no value and they have plenty of it and do

not know what to do with it.

Just imagine, instead of paying 20 lakhs to RTA, for a silly number plate number,

they could have used that money to create drinking water facility in four or five villages.

Or, could have added drinking water machines/fans/lights/blackboards in more than a

dozen schools. Why can't they think of these .... I always wonder.

Weird ways of super rich !!

This is just nonsense. Oh! And 20L for a land Rover Special number :o They could have got a Audi, merc or BMW in that price. This really doesn't make sense

For those who need these VIP/special numbers, it makes a lot of sense.

After all, for them, money has no value and they have plenty of it and do

not know what to do with it.

Just imagine, instead of paying 20 lakhs to RTA, for a silly number plate number,

they could have used that money to create drinking water facility in four or five villages.

Or, could have added drinking water machines/fans/lights/blackboards in more than a

dozen schools. Why can't they think of these .... I always wonder.

Weird ways of super rich !!

Valuable input this!

It seems strange but I would never make a statement like

I wouldn't spend that much an amount even if i could afford it! To me, it just doesn't make sense.

Who knows when and what circumstances would one land up in later part of the life.

20,000 is okay

it's perspective based. A person can say "I can get a second hand bike for that much, so its too much"

And If someone has too much, he can get the blackboards, clean drinking water and then go for VIP number as well. Even in this case, I feel people would say that the person should have gone for more schools etc etc....

though I too at present feel its OTT but if I have endless $$$₹₹₹₹, I would go for it but only after fulfilling my personal obligations of charity.