Recently my friend changed his tyres on his swift to bridgestone

My other friend wants to know about the tyres on her Santro Xing XS .

she wants to change and also upgrade slightly , would 165/65 R 13 will be good or 165 / 60 R 13 ?

She also wants to know a decent brand , i recomended the Bridgestone , but its slightly priced above the good year and MRf of around 300 rs

The point is Is bridgestone really worth for the 300 rs extra than the Good Year or Jk or MRF

And between the 3 which one would be the best one , the MRF , Good Year or JK , also suggest some other good brands in the same price

Regards,

Priya

she wants to change and also upgrade slightly ' date=' would 165/65 R 13 will be good or 165 / 60 R 13 ?

[/quote']

If I am not wrong, the original size for Santro is 145/70r13, then the correct upsize is 165/60r13, if you do not want the overall diametre of the tyre to change. If that is not an issue then you can also use 165/65r13, which I had used in my earlier Zen.

Why do you say that after 30,000kms it is better not to change to alloy wheels?? How much a car has run does not have to determine whether the rims can be changed to alloys or not.

can u people tell me bout the exact size of the tire as well as alloys?i m looking to upgrade 1 size...

Alloy wheels are always better than normal steel wheels and they will improve handling. Ride depends on the tyres you use.

You could try 155/60r14 or 165/55r14 on 14x5.5J wheels but I doubt if  you get these size tyres in 14" as not many upgrade from 13" to 14".

In my opinion, in a normal road car, the quantum of gain in handling

and FE by switching to an alloy isn't substantial. Also do consider the

quality of roads that you drive. An encounter with a big ditch at high

speeds can leave your alloys cracked(the chances are quite less if u

are using a high quality alloys but still the chances are there). I

don't find them very practical for Indian conditions and they serve

purely as a visual treat. But if you want that extra bit of oomph do go

for one and buy a brand which guarantees quality.

But don't expect it to do magic for the car's handling and FE.

I have alloys on my Accent and Steels on my Santro. Advantages of alloys are in better road holding (esp. on rough roads) due to reduced unsprung mass. There was a discussion on this in the early days of the forum where I had explained this in detail. Better cooling of the brakes may be another minor gain. smiley1.gif

As for durability, if things get very rough then while alloys may crack (never heard of one cracking though) while steels will get very badly misshapen. Steels lose shape much faster than alloys. My guess is if you manage to damage good quality alloys, then the chances are you have also done some major damage to the suspension as well.

sgiitk2008-02-11 04:56:43

Please follow my posts on another thread.

If she upgrades then ALL tyres must be changed.

Of the brands mentioned the order for me will be Bridgestone, Goodyear, MRF, xxx. I do not go for imports since I cannot justify the extra cost at this level. Ditto for V rated tyres.

Bridgestone & Goodyear are much better than the rest. Of these Bridgestone will give you superior grip, but will be noisier, and somewhat less durable. Goodyear have a very long life, and are silent, but with poorer grip. Just heft the tyres and you will find that B & G are far lighter. Obviously advise her to go for the tubeless.

Yes, Bridgestone are worth the Rs.300 extra. Also, you have the B322 and the B350 (donuts). The latter are superior in all respects.

Well Forum Members my another Querry is That tyres of my ongoing next car CORSA  need to be changed and what size tyres would be perfect for  ? i think the orignal tyres of corsa is 175 / 70 R 13

i want slightly wider tyres

Please Suggest

Regards,

priya

priya is right santro has got 155/70 R 13 tires..i love the speed so whether up sizing will cause any negative effect on high speed driving?

Upsizing will not have any negative effect, if the wheels and alloys are installed correctly.

Alloys are any day better than steel wheels. Their advantages far outnumber their disadvantages.

Hey priya i have checked that bridgestone site.In that site all detail information about the tyre selection and maintenance has been given.If u select by pattern then there u will get all types. For your corsa if you want ultra high performance tires then go for bridgestone potenza G III 195/60R13  OR  205/60R13. For santro its 175/60R13 or  185/60R13 ..

Gaurav , i wont be upsizing to such an extenet maybe 10mm more , for Corsa ( if i am buying ) 185 / 70 R13

And for santro it should be the 165 / 60 or 165 / 65 R 13

Regards,

Priya

Why can not people look at other threads. One size up is normally Ok. Please make sure that: :

1.wheel diameter (rim + side walls) matches the original diameter within 10% (ideally 5%)

2. At extreme steering positions the tyres do not run foul of the  wheel wells (rubbing sides).

3. The wheel size should be matched. One size can be put on the same wheels, but wider tyres may require a wider rim. Otherwise the upgrade may be unsafe and also adversely affect the handling.

i think here is no 165/60 size tyre. 165/65 will be fine os OD will be roughly equal and willnot affetc the speedo reading and the standard gearing. also it can be fitted on the excisting rim.

My personal suggestion is bridgestone as all of my cars are bridgestone and my original santro set lasted for around 60K. even the indica set has done 35K and still strong for another 15K probably. So my bet is bridgestone.