dr_nishu

Wheels upgrade suggestion please

I'm having 2005 make Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Pearl silver shade. Since its going to be almost 9 years old this year & has clocked more than a lac kms i want to spruce or refresh its looks.

Talking specifically about its tyres & wheels, i'm using its stock OEM setup of 145/80 R12 tyres all around on steel wheels but with MGA Wheel caps. Now want to change the way they looks.

So suggest me how to change the way they look !

Installing Alloy wheels is a simple idea but i'm not keen for it as:

-The car is older & has clocked more than a lac of kms, it might affect its moving parts which might got older & some worn out, leading to further component damage.

-For such an old car, Rs.25-30k investment for alloy wheels doesn't seems to be good idea either except if there's no other option available.

So guys please suggest me the ways to upgrade the wheels the way they look.

Do share any of an idea, maybe a crazy one.

If you have a old ripped jean , that doeanot serve your purpose and you are reluctant to wear it . Just wear those jeans with casual Ts and new loafers and you will see that those old worn out jeans looks like latest fashion. Its the shoes that made the difference. In my taste , adding good brand tyres with decent alloys will add a grace to the looks of your old car. If you want cathy add chrome multi spoke or else silver alloys in 13 inch size with good brand tyres atleast 165/70 or 175/ 65 whatever. And add rubber plugs to lift the rear suspension a little bit very wisely. Get her done rubbing and use your amway wash with polish . I am sure you will love cleaning her next time.

To add to taste upgrade your tube lights and horns with a relay and change your seat covers with economical new ones. And there you will have a new car . Best to drive to markets for groccery pickups.

Moreover you can keep your old 12 inch rims and tyres that if your mind changes lateron , shift your new rim tyres to any other car.

Goodluck!

cost of alloys indicated by you are for 14- 15 inch for smaller size the cost reduces substantially in my view you should be able to get something around 12k - 15k

I'm quoted the price of 13-inch Alloys+ Wheels, as currently its wheels are 12-inchers & i don't think there will be much enhancement in looks if i opt for 12-inch alloys alone but even then its handling will still remain the same. Atleast 155/65 R13 will suit it for an true upgrade & that will cost around the same as i quoted.

I don't think now investing in Alloy wheel is a wise financial decision. Give the car a good mechanical inspection; check the rear drum brake for worn lining as it is often neglected by service centers, check all the suspension bushes for hardness and replace if necessary. Check shock absorbers if not changed recently ,spruce up interiors add new seat cover (3k) ,get the car detailed from reputed shops like 3M and check for corrosion and apply underbody anti-rust coating since it might have worn out (also it improves NVH).

@rssh;

Tyres were replaced on time. All 4 Suspension struts replaced recently, i guess 15-20k kms ago.

Brake pads were also replaced on time.

Spark plugs needs replacement. Body needs some denting painting job here n there with compounding all over.

Ya you're rite on seat cover aspect, they're worn out & needs replacement.

Any suggestion for tyres quickly guys. Otherwise, i'm planning to re-install the same wheelcaps again soon.

Yes, alloys seem a waste of money , assuming money is of a concern

Better go good set of tyres and buy a pack of four for added discounts , have you looked at the new Michellin ENERGY ones

Best prices can only be got thru a local dealer , online stores bound by tax rules cant match the prices of a local dealer.These local dealers buy your old ones and give an aditional 10% off on the bill ( on a set of four)

Yes, alloys seem a waste of money , assuming money is of a concern

Better go good set of tyres and buy a pack of four for added discounts , have you looked at the new Michellin ENERGY ones

Best prices can only be got thru a local dealer , online stores bound by tax rules cant match the prices of a local dealer.These local dealers buy your old ones and give an aditional 10% off on the bill ( on a set of four)

Dear Doc,

Change the wheel-caps. Go for some new wheel caps. For R13 you will get a lot of options in wheelcaps. For tires, Michelin and Yokohama are some decent rubbers with attractive tread pattern. The tire tread pattern will give your car a refreshed look.

Another suggestion is to blackout the B pillars with either matte black or glossy black stickers. You will love looking at your car once it is done.

Dear Doc,

Before putting new wheel caps, get the rims colored. Preferably Black. On the interior side, install small blue colored LEDS under the dashboard and behind the front seats. It will act as mood lighting and is pretty cheap. You yourself can do it. Also search for door scuff plates, they will really look premium.

These are certain makeovers which will refresh your attitude towards your ageing babe. You will also enjoy driving it more keeping your Dzire safe at garage.

Dear Doc,

Change the wheel-caps. Go for some new wheel caps. For R13 you will get a lot of options in wheelcaps. For tires, Michelin and Yokohama are some decent rubbers with attractive tread pattern. The tire tread pattern will give your car a refreshed look.

Another suggestion is to blackout the B pillars with either matte black or glossy black stickers. You will love looking at your car once it is done.

It's having 12-inch rims not 13 inchers.

Already using OEM wheel covers , which once came on Zen VXi(the last facelifted version) but frankly speaking i'm quite bored of them as they're on duty since we've purchased the car in 2005, so wants some change & freshness to its looks.

Already installed black mirror finish tape on its B-pillar from last 2-3 years & it looks awesome & gives it almost B-pillarless continuous glass feel when viewed from outside(will post a pic soon).

Its tyres are still in good condition as they're replaced 20-25k kms ago.

More suggestions are welcomed ACI-ians

I would suggest you to get some new wheel caps and do some sticker job like racing strips to the car and tada you will have complete new look for your car.

Do consider adding rear spoiler to the car and it will also help to change the look of the car. Also use matte finish black color vinyl for roof and it will give you distintive look to the car.

Hope this will help you.