abhishek

new car or 2nd hand

hey ,,, i learnt driving 6 months back and i drive confidently in my uncles car. now i m planning to buy my own car , i am confused whether to go for a new car or to get a   2nd hand car , get used to driving in dense traffic and then buy a new one . ... if a new car my budget is 3.5 - 4.5 lakhs .. suggest me some cars to buy in this range . 

I would say better go for new Hyundai i10 or the WagonR , but a 2nd hand is not a bad idea at all but make sure its a good one , i would advice you to go for the used Palio diesel or the Used Hyundai Santro Xing of 05 Yr Model

see which one you are comfortable with and then decided on what you are going for, a  new or Used car

Regards

Priya

hey ' date=',, i learnt driving 6 months back and i drive

confidently in my uncles car. now i m planning to buy my own car , i am

confused whether to go for a new car or to get a   2nd hand

car , get used to driving in dense traffic and then buy a new one . ...

if a new car my budget is 3.5 - 4.5 lakhs .. suggest me some cars to

buy in this range . 

[/quote']

I usually feel a used car makes better sense than a new one (if you can

find a good one that is). You don't have to worry abt depreciation and

you can buy a better car than what you can afford. And in your case,

it's all the more beneficial since you are newbie and you will be

driving in bumper to bumper traffic.. A dent and a scratch is not what

you would want to see on your brand new car. So i would suggest to look

at the following used cars:

1. Wagon R - economical and high driving position can be a boon for

some one new to driving. (My first choice even if u want to go for a

new car)

2. Old Zen - zippy, fun, economical and they come cheap!!! you can save

cash and keep them for your new car which you may buy after a year or

two!! :)

3. Santro - economical and high seating position just like the wagon R....

4. Alto - cheap to maintain

You can visit a maruti true value or the First Choice outlets. They should be able to help you find a goon one. :-)

I am not in favour of  purchases from dealerships - True Value or otherwise, though they are better than Second Hand Car Dealers - arguably the most disreputable fraternity in the world.  Try and find a good privately owned second hand car with a proper service record. You should be able to verify the mileage at some time points. Additional checks - tyres: if all are new under 25,000-30,000km be suspicious, Look at the pedal rubber - starts showing signs of wear in about 40,000km.

You talk to the owner for 5 minutes and you can judge whether he is genuine or lying.

Get a clean second hand car and you are happy. I your budget you should be able to find a City!

I agree with most of the others that a used car makes more sense as you can perfect your driving skills on it before moving to a new car. A scratch or a dent on an old car won't hurt as much as on a new car.

Ensure you check the car with the help of a mechanic. Pay the mechanic for the checkup.

FRG

Just another point. I remember for the past, that UK statistics show that the maximum number of accidents happen in the window of 2-5 years after learning to drive.The reason - the driver has the confidence but not the experience to cope with the traffic!