aswinpanicker

Need advice on what car to buy in a budget of 12-14 Lacs

I am a businessman. I own a Honda City ZX (GXi) 2008 model. I'm planning to exchange it for a new car preferably a diesel. As i was using an NHC the new Honda city diesel is out of consideration. My uses are daily commute of around 12-20 kms and a weekly tip of 100-180 kms which is primarily ghat section roads. I'm confused if I should go for a sedan like the vento or something to the tunes of Terrano. Please advice me what i should opt and which is suited for my uses as mentioned. I would also love if i had a climate control in the new purchase.

P.S I also own a polo TDI Comfortline. I really love the car. But it has a bouncy backseat drive which upsets my parents.

Thank You :)

Since you already own a sedan and you often travel in ghat section roads a good handling SUV like Duster, Terrano or an Ecosport has to be in your priority list.

I would suggest you to go for the top of the line Ecosport TDCI which comes with all the bells and whistles if the compact dimensions are not a concern to you.

Or You can go for the Terrano/Duster which are equally good and offer more space inside also good road presence compared to the Ecosport. Terrano/Duster comes with a very good ride and handling package than the ecosport which will be a bonus and your parents will be very happy with it.

10-12 lacs (ex show room)

Honda City (d) - for efficiency & space

Verna Crdi 1.6 SX - for performance

Vento Diesel/Rapid Diesel - for elegance and space

12-14(+) (ec show room)

Elantra Crdi 1.6 Base - for style, space nd features

Cruze LT - for performance

Fluence E2 Diesel - for efficiency nd elegance

In S.U.V.s

XUV500 W4 - for looks , space nd performance

TERRANO (looks premium than duster) - exteriors & space

Ecosport - overall package

Honda City (d) & Elantra base (D) - 2 different cars of 2 different segments bt both seems to be perfect for a businessman status.

choose from these 2.

:)

:)

Hi! Welcome to the Autocar family! ;)

As per your requirement and inputs, you can go for Honda City top end variant (Petrol) or if you want something that gives you a good "high" driving posture, Terrano should be your pick. I won't say that Terrano is a proper SUV but it is something different than a regular sedan.

Vento is a nice choice but i find it to be a bit claustrophobic from the inside.

Well New Honda City could be a good upgrade for you, why not you're considering is suspicious for us, considering you're already a satisfied Honda customer.

Terrano although a good car but i doubt would you like owing it after driving a Honda for so many years.

So, prime option for you is new honda city, if not then you can wait for upcoming Maruti Ciaz sedan, which seems to be promising option for the segment, read whole story() expected to be launched by this July.

VW Vento is a good option, scores high on quality, comfort(i think!), solid & stable ride quality but be overall maintenance & spare parts availability & its costs might be an issue in the long run.

But overall its a better package than Honda City, i think.

Btw, VW India is also planning to introduce smaller yet equally powerful 1.5 litre, 104PS TDi engine which has to be localized heavily & built in India, which might prove relatively less expensive than current 1.6 TDi ownership as the latter is an imported unit, so cost effectiveness for its spare parts seems to be there for localized unit.

Edited by dr_nishu

Thanks a lot Dr_nishu. I'm really happy with the Honda City. But I was hoping I could experience a new car or perhaps a new brand . And I'm kinda thinking it would be a repetition if I go for the same brand and the model again. As a car enthusiast I was really hoping for a whole new experience altogether. But looking at all the expert opinion and responses received from this forum I am actively considering the Honda City.

hr18 thanks a lot. That was concise and to the point. I think I will test drive the elantra. Nithin.kolla I think I have narrowed my choices now. Thanks a lot. Really had great view and expert opinions have helped me narrow down my choices. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

You can wait for Maruti Ciaz.or else u can go for the duster,you will save some bucks over the terrano.

Another option is the upcoming Nissan sunny if you want more legroom in the rear.The new sunny is going to be launched in june.

If u want to buy a Suv, then do mention what you want from it. Space, max. Passengers, 4x4, performance or cheap to run.

If u want something Spacious and powerful, get the Xuv, if u want efficiency and compact suv, get terrano. Do keep in mind that Xuv sips double the fuel than a Terrano.

I think New Honda City would be a best bet for you as you have an established taste of owning a Honda. And people those who have a Honda they just love it. Try TD the diesel City and let us know your opinion.

Sorry guys was a bit busy with the month end and all. With your recommendations in mind I test drove some cars and I'm happy to share the experiences with you.

1. Honda City diesel. Excellent car excellent equipment on board, frugal engine and a delight to drive. Cons- Engine is far from peppy. It's the same amaze motor mated to a six speed box. But you can't complain. Car oozes of class and has a snob value no car can match. No offers on the car.

2.Hyundai Verna and the Elantra. Amazing cars. Amazing performance. Elantra had oodles of space and an equipment list guaranteed to blow your mind away. But my budget is for diesel base. Lot less equipment in base. But takes your breath away with the performance. Verna Sx(O) is a real good bargain for price. Cons- Hyundai tag doesn't offer snob value. Back seat on Verna is edgy. Even though it looks futuristic the entertainment system on both cars could use peppier lcd screens. 50000 rs discount + goodies on Elantra and 25000 discount + goodies on Verna.

3. Volkswagen Vento. The handling this car has will drive you insane. Do a curve on 60 you still feel the car planted on the ground. Amazing power delivery. Awesome gear ratios. Equipment on offer on the Highline are standard and cannot be said industry best. cons- Heard an upgrade was coming soon and engine itself is to replaced by a 1.5 unit. So worried I would be stuck with an outdated model. Rumours about really high maintenance costs. I have to believe it's true because my Polo is kinda expensive to own. Offers upto 50000 discount plus insurance and roadside assistance free. Also offered an exchange bonus. Also a finance option with 9%.

Will be test driving the bigger ones like Terrano and Duster this week. An owner of Xuv has actually given me thumbs down on the Xuv. But it's still on TD list.

I have narrowed choices from the above to Elantra/Vento. Will let you guys know how the bigger ones do and how I take a decision. Thanks a lot to all who replied. Much love.

Among City, Vento, Verna, Elantra - Well I would suggest you to go for Verna 1.6 CRDi SX(O). Simply because its a better value than any other car. Backseat experience is not that great agreed but I guess you will be driving the car yourself. And if one own a driver to drive it, obviously he won't drive too fast and at normal speeds, Verna's backseat is most comfortable. It glides over the roads unless you drive it hard. Moreover, 128PS is class leading power and gives you excellent performance with just a foot down on pedal. It is fast, quick and agile. Handling is descent too. Moreover you get all bells n whistles including new projector headlamps with DRL's.

Elantra and Verna have same mechanicals. Elantra offers more space and features like AC ventilated seats, cruise control etc. but a diesel fully loaded model will exceed 14lakhs definitely by a large margin.

So within your budget I will stick to Verna, specially because of features it has to offer.

Coming to SUV's - Terrano is better looking among the two and thats it. Rest every bit of both cars are identical. Also duster will soon receive a facelift (already out outside India). But go in for SUV only if you require one for weekend offroading. Else experience of a sedan is more luxurious for a city run.

Also if you want to stick to SUV and have time to wait, by year end or next year, Hyundai's compact SUV will arrive and may be Suzuki's too. Hyundai will definitely will have a lot to offer at the same price and Suzuki is also expected to load the car with features. So you may consider them too.

Currently - Verna or Terrano are the car to chose from.