reddy

Honda Mobilio.Can it challenge the Toyota Innova?

The greatest challenge for Upcoming Diesel HondaMobilio is To Match the TORQUE of ToyotaInnova,''.Can it match ?

As the honda had mastered the technique of SpaceManagement, The space in mobilio had been maximised in given dimensions with max flexibility.

How ever.

The most important factor for Diesel Honda Mobilio , Is the quantum of Torque generated at the Lower RPM of engine .(1.5litre diesel)

As this vans are typically driven by Chauuffers ,they love to lug this vans at low RPMS ( For which we need Low RPM torques , )

Toyota Innova with its 2.5litre diesel engine Masters this Low RPM torque giving the chauffers a relaxed way driving habits

,This is the reason subject of TURBOLAG never comes up in toyota innova ,

you can feel the Turbolag in Maruthi ertiga (1.3Litre diesel engine)

Hope Honda has taken care in this issue ?

Lets wait & See

Well the Mobilio is a very important car for Honda and so far Honda seems to have done everything right. Pricing will be crucial. While the Ertiga is the direct competitor of the Mobilio the Innova will be affected too. Innova prices have gone up big time in recent and it seems overpriced now. This will work in the Mobilios favour. The Mobilio isnt too big and feels just the right size.

Lets see how things go once prices are announced

No doubt it would be a tough competitor for the Innova. Honda will definitely price it below the Innova and perhaps the Ertiga too. Innova's sales will surely be affected by the Mobilio. Lets see how they price it.

Dont drag Innova into it , its a class above.

INNOVA cannot be touched . It has a very loyal base and these people wont be swayed by these puny introductions

Its aimed directly at the Ertigas and Xylos , Enjoys , if you will to some extent.

Pricing to my understanding : like it did with its Amaze launch will be comparable or just over Ertigas.

Dont drag Innova into it , its a class above.

INNOVA cannot be touched . It has a very loyal base and these people wont be swayed by these puny introductions

Yeah but Toyota's ploy is to keep increasing the prices as they've loyal fan base which are unlikely to have any affect. I wonder how long will this ploy work.

Yeah one of our relatives booked an Innova for a whopping 17 lacs!!

Although that is the top variant, it still is huge money for that car... I would have settled for an Octavia if I was shelling that kinda price.

We used to get an Accord around 18 lacs at a point in time :P

Anyway, thats not the point.

The Mobilio will sure carve a space for itself in the Ertiga, Xylo, Enjoy segment.

But what Leo pointed out is true to a great extent for the Honda as well and for every other auto manufacturer.

The entry level sedans (i'm not talking of sub-4 meters) now cost a whopping 12.5-13 lacs for the top spec which were earlier the Civic, Corolla etc segment.

Even these tiny people movers (Ertiga and Mobilio) are commanding similar money for their top specs now... If you ask... seating 7 for a long drive is terrible for these cars. 6 is a better number.

I agree with librankur, there is no point comparing Innova to these pseudo MUVs (Ertiga/Mobilio).

Innova's customer base is entirely different.

Though there might be some impact on it but very negligible.

I do agree that Innova has become pricier and will become more when next gen Innova is introduced but that's what happens when there is no direct competition.

There has been no direct competitor to it since it was launched in India and I don't see any product in pipeline as well to challenge it. So Toyota can continue to laugh all the way to the bank.

Currently there is a wave of 'compact' sedans/UVs/SUVs going on and hence these products.

I will any day prefer a proper 3 box sedan / MUV / SUV.

Honda mobilio would be tough competition for Maruti ertiga Because of there same class and price range since they both are entry level MUV. But in the comparison with innova they both are not only low in price but also low in specifications, comfort and built in quality.

Unlike a lot of my friends (here, on this forum), I expect Mobilio to certainly dent the leader

Innova to a significant extent. For a couple of reasons.

All said and done, Innova is not great in interior space. We (me and my two grown up sons,

who are over 6 feet tall and well built) find it congested. Specially, the interior height and

the small bucket seats. The seats are so small, that almost all of us find that the shoulder

space is too narrow. This is more pronounced when we compare our own Xylo's headroom

and very spacious seats (rightly called Captain Seats) to those of Innova.

A couple of other reasons are there. For the specifications they give, Toyota charges a lot.

Granted that the product is good (to great to excellent), but the way they price the product

is nothing short of high-handedness. Moreover, Innova is now looking dated and no amount

of cosmetic changes they make, can make this car a contemporary car now.

In this background, the entry of Mobilio will certainly give a much needed choice for all those

Toyota's die-hard fans. And, for all those who are certainly not Toyota's die-hard fans.

As the TV commercials indicate, if Mobilio can give better interior space, better head room

and better/bigger/comfortable seats, then Honda guys have a sure-success-winner on their

hand. Even at a slightly higher price, if Mobilio can offer these benefits, it will succeed.

Now-a-days, customers are least bothered whether they are buying a true SUV or a semi SUV

or a true MUV or a semi MUV. What they want is a good product which can meet their needs.

When such a sure-success-winner is made available in the market, the existing market-leader

will have, no choice, but to yield. This is the fundamental marketing rule. Be it any market and

be it any product.

Our wait is not going to be longer to know the outcome.

I recently got an opportunity to experience Mobilio at one of the malls in Delhi. I drive a Honda (City) myself & have loved Honda all my life. However, Mobilio is such a downer & a disappointment & has so many week points which I believe are not synonym to the Honda Brand.

I have always loved & admired Honda's built quality, however the Mobilio is such a wuss, cheap plastic, horrible finish, rough around the edges, it just doesn't feel right. Horrible under thigh support, seats have no cushioning & are extremely uncomfortable. Its just not airy & feels extremely claustrophobic, especially in the middle row.

In my personal opinion this me too race has tarnished Honda's repute.

I have always loved & admired Honda's built quality, however the Mobilio is such a wuss, cheap plastic, horrible finish, rough around the edges, it just doesn't feel right. Horrible under thigh support, seats have no cushioning & are extremely uncomfortable. Its just not airy & feels extremely claustrophobic, especially in the middle row.

In my personal opinion this me too race has tarnished Honda's repute.

If it's so then it's a no go for Honda. This could be true, he new city also has cheap plastics. Interior quality is mediocre. Innova won't have any affect if it's the same albeit I believe Honda 'll sort this out.

Yes its supposed to be in display in various malls around the country .please look into Honda India websites for the date in your cities,

How ever after READING the reviews on Honda Mobilio in Autocar india website comparing ertiga, I had concluded on the only issue is going to be about the Last row of seats positioning Low on the floor, with your knees in air ?

So its going to surprise us on quality front as well ????.

I agree with Esteem here to a great extent. The seats are too thin to carve out extra space and have in turn compromised on comfort.

One can argue that we don't spend such a lot of time in it so that shouldn't master etc. But bottom line, seats are thin. Some what comparable to Alto or Eon. They may work on a Brio, but on a car that's gonna demand 10-12 lacs, its difficult to digest.

I have driven Innovas for thousands of kilometers and on long-routes, and I really appreciate how versatile this car is. That explains its popularity. What I don't like is Toyota's step-motherly attitude towards India by over-pricing it so much. Toyota is just making use of the idea of making hay while the sun shines.

I'm contemplating on buying a new car, and the Innova is certainly out of my list due to this reason. I don't think its worth the money. Probably there are many others like me who have negated the Innova and are looking at alternatives like the Mobilio and Ertiga. Although car-lovers classify cars into categories, the client-base is pretty much the same for these cars. Which explains a lot of seemingly odd comparisons in ACI mag like the Duster and XUV 500, even though true car nuts like us would know that they are a lot different.

Here are some interesting numbers.

Ertiga since it's launch in April 2012, has sold around 1.51 lac units. Innova sold around 1.46 lacs units during same time.

Average sales of Innova were 4800 units/month prior to launch of Ertiga and since Ertiga launch it has been around 5440 units/month.

Considering price of Innova is almost 1.5 times of Ertiga, above numbers does tell something.

So we will wait and watch how does Mobilio impact Innova sales.

A lot of sales of the Innova is to Government officials, tour operators and Taxi segment. Tourists more often than not specifically demand for an Innova over a Xylo or other cars. That's a major sales driver for the Innova. The Ertiga and Mobilio are seen as personal cars more than commercial transport.

As far as a private buyer is concerned the Mobilio would appeal more to the heart and the head than the Innova, as it would satisfy most of his/her needs at a much lesser sticker price. And the size of these cars are more city friendly and are less intimidating to drive. So let's not count them out as yet, always the sales chart has the final word and verdict, let's see.

I agree with Jithesh to a great extent. Innova is more of a people mover than a personal vehicle. Mobilio on the other hand is targeting the Ertiga fan base however it'll have some affect on the Innova too.

A lot of sales of the Innova is to Government officials, tour operators and Taxi segment. Tourists more often than not specifically demand for an Innova over a Xylo or other cars. That's a major sales driver for the Innova. The Ertiga and Mobilio are seen as personal cars more than commercial transport.

Exactly, Innova is more into commercial segment, not sure how much into Govt, but definitely in Tours and Travels across country, with complete dominance in South.

Mobilio will definitely attract personal buyers with large family. The question is will it really expand the market or takeaway share of Ertiga from one side and some share of innova from the other side. The other thing that works in favour of Innova is resale value, due to its long term reliability. I am sure Honda will also provide good build quality in Mobilio. Ride and handling is another aspect in which it needs to be atleast at par with Innova. As far as price is concerned, Honda is expected to price it competitively. So if these two or three aspects are taken care of then the over priced Innova will definitely feel lot of heat.

When we talk about the impact, it's from volume perspective.

So whether sales comes from commercial or individual buyers doesn't really matter.

But as said earlier, let's see how things unfold.

Interesting times ahead in UV segment.

@sachins

Exactly, but what I'm saying is Mobilio will affect the individual buyers only if Honda does everything right. Albeit I doubt the same will happen for commercial buyers.

Edited by LeoRahi

I like the turn of Honda's attitude towards India, who were initially very reluctant to offer a diesel engine to us although they had diesel versions of the CRV and the likes abroad. They have let simple logic take over and are enjoying the benefits so soon. Their recent outstanding success is mainly attributed to their iDtec diesel engine, which is making Amazes and Citys a familiar sight on our roads. The Mobilio would have really struggled without a diesel engine in the mighty Ertiga's company.

I hope they launch a diesel CRV soon, because that would spell magic both to Honda and the Indian consumer!

Mobilio has been launched. Below is the price list.

Now Ertiga (with discounts as well) seems a far more VFM offering than Mobilio.

Top variant diesel is approx 1.25 lac and base variant is 66K higher than Ertiga :o

Mobilio Petrol - Three variants

E - 6.49L

S - 7.50L

V - 8.76L

Mobilio Diesel - Four variants

E - 7.89L

S - 8.60L

V - 9.76L

RS - 10.86L (from sept onwards, only diesel)

Sorry, but this time I think Honda has asked far too much of a premium for not so a premium product.

Also, I was watching live feed and I saw somewhere that 2nd seat sliding function seems only available on top end model only?

Can anybody confirm this...don't know why Honda has done so (if they have).

Edited by sachins