tejasmehta990

Tata Zest - Marketing Strategy, launch and pricing. Do we have a winner here?

tata-zest-pictures-046.jpg

Tata Motors is very aggressively promoting their Zest Sedan through various means media and focus of their promotion is their REVETRON Engine and not the entire sedan.

Though points such as fuel economy / Performance etc... are important factors while buying a car it also depends about the company / brand in which you are more particular about the engine offered.

Tata Cars since they launched Indica are known for it's interior space and killer pricing.

People chose Tata vehicles not specifically for driving pleasure but for it's pricing and big interior space. I have seen very few people boasting about their pleasurable experience while driving Tata cars.

Now in case of ZEST Tata Motors have employed "Narin Karthekyan" to promote ZEST with it's unique engine having three modes as per road condition but do you think the message which TATA is trying to pass on is reaching to the prospective customers in right manner ?

Also The main USP of Tata Zest is "AMT" in diesel. Currently only TATA Zest Diesel will be offered with AMT in it's segment. Why TATA is so silent about the same in their promotion ?

We as a buyer primarily wants Diesel vehicle and comfort of not shifting gears, with great interior space, nice Audio System, acceptable luggage space etc.. and not the engine if it runs smoothly, maintenance free and offers acceptable fuel economy. .

In addition to the above there are lots of other plus points of ZEST such as Interior space, boot space, high ground clearance, pricing, equipments , fit & finish, new dash design, it's Music System etc......

Tata Zest is having all right elements to be successful.

I feel that Tata Motors should change their Marketing Strategy to get the required success.

I have also seen the auto shows on TATA zest and it appears as though TATA is seriously thinking on improving their spoilt image of their cars. Apart from changing their marketing strategy they should seriously think over into customer satisfaction. The departments, including person, should be made accountable for the work they have carried out on their customer's vehicle. Till now they have been working in a government style and same has to be given up.

I agree on your analysis about TATA marketing strategy, if I would have to market the new reventon engine because in this diesel happy market petrol engine are no longer given much tech , but at the same time the AMT tech for diesel is another milestone which shouldn't be left untouched because they have monopoly in the market with the diesel + automatic which will bring in the volumes.

Yes , the tag line should definitely have been:

Indias First Diesel AMT sedan.

The Revetron Engine has already been smashed by car reviewers , they say the three modes as projected are basically just two.

Yes, They should provide the Zest with Diesel AMT box. Not only Zest but should be given an option for all their cars. Tata is working really hard on their status. Hope it pays up.

Because of niggles as surfaced in almost all Tata Vehicles since some time people are not really keen to opt for a Tata Vehicle. Also Tata cars such as Indica / Vista / Manza could not create a niche among people such as SWIFT / POLO / Honda City etc...

People who purchase Swift / Polo / City etc... will praise and recommend to purchase the same to their friends / relatives but this is not the same story about Tata Vehicles.

Tata Motors need to work very hard to change perception of people by offering good quality and after sales instead of offering more equipments.

It looks like Tata Motors is not aware about consumer's desirability and the Team Tata is following their head instead of following people's heart and mind.

As a consumer I will buy Tata Car only because of big interior space and Airy cabin which no other car is offering within certain price range. As compared to Alto, Santro, Datsun Go, Micra etc... look at the abundant space offered in Indica V2 which can accommodate easily 5 full grown-up adults. The same is case in Vista as well as Manza and the same will be in the case of Zest and Bolt.

Otherwise to opt for better performance (for eg. Swift), engine (for eg.Swift / Polo) , engineering (Polo) , equipments (say Hyundai i20 grand) etc... there are lot better options available to the consumers.

@Tejasmehta, could not agree more. It was the product offering by TATA that helped create the said perception within the minds of Indian consumer. To reinforce change within the minds of Indian consumers they will face an uphill battle. I have always had a lot of expectation with TATA, I always thought TATA has the ability to provide what we desire, European fit and finish, frugal Japanese engines with a host of safety and entertainment features at an unbeatable price point. Still feel that day shall beckon upon us.

Having experienced a Tata product myself (Safari), I do acknowledge the niggles that their products face.

Though I was a bit lucky not to have experienced any major niggles with my Safari.

And yes, their A.S.S is really pathetic, no doubts on that.

However, seeing their soon to launched product (in pics and reviews), Tata seem to have really worked hard at improving their product in every way possible and I give them full marks for their efforts. How they improve upon A.S.S needs to be seen.

But knowing how difficult it is to change a negative perception once set, it's going to take big big effort from them.

post-7692-0-02557200-1407835970_thumb.jp

The Zest has been launched and at quite a competitive price. It is undercutting its rivals substantially. Here are the Zest prices

New Tata Zest introductory prices (Ex-showroom, Delhi)

Tata Zest petrol 1.2T XE: Rs 4.64 lakh

Tata Zest petrol 1.2T XM: Rs 5.25 lakh

Tata Zest petrol 1.2T XMS: Rs 5.43 lakh

Tata Zest petrol 1.2T XT: Rs 5.99 lakh

Tata Zest Diesel 1.3L XE: Rs 5.64 lakh

Tata Zest Diesel 1.3L XM: Rs 6.27 lakh

Tata Zest Diesel 1.3L XMS: Rs 6.45 lakh

Tata Zest Diesel 1.3L XT: Rs 6.99 lakh

Tata Zest Diesel 1.3L XMA: Rs 6.99 lakh (AMT)

The AMT is being offered in just one variant though. Do you think Tata has a winner here? We all know that the initial batches of Tata products have niggles. They really need to get this one right from day one. This has the potential to be a game changer for them

This is great pricing by Tata !!

It undercuts the competition by a fair margin and that too with more features.

They just needs to roll out niggle free product backed by a better A.S.S and they are right back in the game.

On a side note, Elite i20 which was just launched yesterday, doesn't seem VFM now.

A sure winner.

Other manufacturers are launching hatchbacks at this pricing, say bye bye to Fiats Evo and to some extend Hyundai.

I am definetely interested in the AMT , too bad theres just a lower specked variant of the AMT.

Hoping it does for Tata what Amaze did for Honda.

I don't see any actual consumers interested in following product except for fleet owners atleast for coming few months.

I appriciate what TATA has done and achieved with this product but the problem is not about selling the product, it's about providing a reliable and stress free after sales service which is still not upto national (yes national, not international) standards.

As it was said that TATA will keep aggressive pricing for ZEST but it is not so the price is equivalent to XCENT with difference of few features .Xcent has advantage of some features and ZEST has some other features.It doesn't seem it can dethrone dzire from its top spot in the near future.TATA should have kept the price 10 to 20 thousand lower to have tough fight with DZIRE because it is proven product and people will prefer it by paying 25 to 30, 000 extra to have peace of mind. Competetion will remain between XCENT ,ZEST and AMAZE.

Tata Motors tried to keep the price lowest in segment but the amount that consumer is paying is not too small and when a person is taking decision to buy a car worth more than 5 Lakh, spending 30K to 50K more or less doesn't make much difference.

In case of Tata Cars the purchase decision is made only when consumer inspect it physically and closely and not by just brand / perception as in case of other cars available (XCENT / AMAZE / DZIRE).

Some time back I happen to visit Tata Showroom and checked out Indigo eCs and I was impressed with overall improvements made by Tata to a fading car i.e. from overall fit / finish , quality of upholstery , mechanicals etc......

So either Tata needs to expose ZEST to maximum number of prospective customers by putting ZEST into malls / theatres / public places where targets consumers are visiting frequently.

I feel Consumers will not take special effort to visit Tata showroom to checkout zest when they have other options available from HONDA / HYUNDAI / SUZUKI in similar price bracket.

TATA Motors need to go to consumers to sell ZEST.

As someone indicated in this forum that 1st lot of any new Tata Cars has some or the other niggles. Hope in case of ZEST this won't happen.

Also though it is exciting for a consumer to buy AMT Diesel but it may have it's own problems which are not yet know. I read review of ZEST AMT and it was indicated that one need to learn some skills to drive ZEST AMT on the climb / hill by engaging handbrake etc....

I don't see any actual consumers interested in following product except for fleet owners atleast for coming few months.

I appriciate what TATA has done and achieved with this product but the problem is not about selling the product, it's about providing a reliable and stress free after sales service which is still not upto national (yes national, not international) standards.

Why would Fleet owners opt for Troubled cars and stressful after sales service ? Afterall they also are putting in their hard earned money. Probably this perception will change with newer cars from Tata Motors.

The thing is you need to actually see the car in person and you will be surprised at the level / quality of fits and finish (if you compare it with any previous Tata Car). One can definitely say that it is at par with some of the Cars in this segment (I would even dare to say interiors are better than Amaze), In fact going against the popular belief some people have gone ahead and pre-booked the Zest even before the price was declared.

This time around Tatas had put Zest in many popular malls across country for display and TD. i did take a test drive of the petrol version, and was truly impressed. Whether it will sell x nos of y nos is a different aspect, but this car is definitely aspirational and truly value for money for the equipment list loaded in the car.

In my view an option pack for the AMT should be introduced straight away , already buyers of an Automatic in this price sensitive segments are scares and not being fully equipped will give another reason to buyers to shy away.

That is not a great thing ,Amaze sells fluctuate , for some month it is around 3000 and for another month it may be 6000 and ZEST has to reach that level yet .and DZIRE is far far ahead than all compact sedans .Till now I don't think sales has increased largely because many people go by market that is if one car sales is in higher number they will chose that without even test drive because they feels this one is selling in highest numbers so this is good .and maruti has good repo in market and hyundai has also good image so these two are obvious choice of people and people chose honda because of brand image ,So TATA has a very tough road ahead it has to prove its car utility in long term to establish faith in people.

ZEST is suffering from production constraints .TATA is not able to produce even 4000 vehicles per month .That is why waiting period is so high and production plan is not made as per the bookings. Hence Buyer is not getting the vehicle on the date commited. .

See if this cheers you up a bit

Mayank Pareek, the President of Tata Motors’ passenger division, has said that he is

disappointed with the way the matter is being handled and would be hoping to change the scenario in coming weeks.

Actual delay is not 6 weeks but dealers are not handling the customers rightly. After long time they have got bookings for tata cars so they are very excited and therefore they are trying to create such situation that customers will feel that if this car is amazing so book it at the earliest otherwise delivery will get further delay. Because I have booked ZEST XMS BEIGE COLOUR and sales person told to deliver it within 15 to 20 days but after ten days she told that your booked car delivery will take time ,we are getting silver xm next week if you are ready to take this we can deliver it to you.Because I have told them to deliver my car any how by 30 Nov otherwise I will cancel the booking . The reason they have told is that TATA I S NOT DELIVERING VEHICLES AS PER OUR BOOKING BUT WHATEVER IS AVAILABLE WITH THEM THEY ARE ALLOTTING TO DEALERS. So they can't tell when my car will be delivered .What do you think is it possible I don't think so that company can do so .It is all game of dealers only.