Sign in to follow this  
Jithesh

Save Cash on Spares!

I came across an incident involving a blown turbo of a Skoda Superb. The turbo was damaged and the garage also recommended to change the inter-cooler, and quoted a total price of around 1.80 lacs for both! They claimed that these parts are German and are not available in India, so have to be imported.

The owner took photographs of the blown turbo and inter-cooler, taking note of the maker and part numbers and did some simple searching on Google. He was amazed to find that there are two genuine authorised vendors in India, in Mumbai and Kolkata. And he was pleasantly surprised to know that both would cost only less than Rs. 40,000! He promptly did the payment and the parts were delivered to him within two days.

The parts were installed and the car is running fine now. We should note how the garages dupe us on spares and service, especially on premium cars, where one would be compelled to believe that the prices of parts of such expensive cars are exorbitant.

If we do a bit of homework and cross checking, we could save some serious cash!

Fully agreed.

Why only garages? Almost all Dealers/ASSs also resort to this type of loot.

When my Omni was taken to a reputed dealer, for losing 'pulling power', their factory-trained senior mechanic took a trial run and recommended replacement of at least 5 parts, estimated an expenditure of over 9,000/-. I came back and spoke to my old friend in Hyderabad who owns a small garage who gave me the true solution. Just adjusting a couple of loosened bolts by using a strobe light, the problem got solved permanently during the remaining period of 6 years Omni was with us. Total cost incurred 100/- for strobe light gun and 100/- for labour. That's the sort of cheating they resort to.

Beware all vehicle owners.

Wow, really relevant points brought up by Jithesh and Rameshbabu. Totally agree.

It would be so much better if we all knew reputed garages, spare importers etc

Would it be possible to make a directory or start a thread?

Yes, agree to all above points.

It's a known fact that dealers (of all manufacturers) make more profit from service than by selling cars.

So as soon as warranty period is over, it's better to switch to local trusted garage/mechanic for car servicing.

Thanks to the availability of the internet literally on our fingertips, its better to do some background search ourselves before taking the word of the dealer/workshop. A good old trusted mechanic could give us a better viewpoint, whether the part really needs to be replaced or are we being taken for a ride. A second opinion always helps. A common mindset is that we are reluctant to take the car off authorised workshops as we fear that the latest sophisticated machinery cannot be repaired by just about anyone.

While that is also partly true, we should also be aware that garages and dealers are taking advantage of our fear.

I am really paranoid of anybody touching my car, let alone let them play with the mechanical. May be its because of the previous bad experiences I have had. Having said that, the dealers are charging exorbitantly for pretty much everything. Even the so called "consumables" that we have to pay when we avail free annual service is a loot.

Internet certainly has helped but once the vehicle is out of warranty and out of free services we all need to find that one reliable mechanic or garage that can take care of your car as you would. Where should one refer to if facing similar situation?

A similar incident happened with me.I took my Honda activa to the service centre for 1st service and they recommended an engine oil change and i did it.....When i took it for the 2nd service they again recommended an oil change and when i said no the service centre incharge started threatening me that i will lose the warranty on engine and transmission......i just took my scooter to a regular garage mechanic for asecond opinion ,the mechanic told me that an oil has to be changed in 1000 kms and whereas i had covered only 200 kms between my 2 services.............these are a few cheap tricks manufacturers use to extract money from people.

@neel,

That's one of the cheap tactics. But I guess an oil change at 1000 kms is too early. Mineral Oils last for at least 4-5k kms. I have never changed my oil before 5k kms on any of my two wheelers. Please check your product manual it should clearly state the oil change interval.

Next time if they threaten to replace anything refer to the manual first and make an educated decision.