PrancingHorse

Honda City or Maruti Ciaz. Which would you buy?

Which would you buy?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• Honda City
    • Maruti Ciaz

The City has been the king of the C segment for a long time. It did lose the plot midway when petrol prices went up and Honda was without a diesel motor. But now after getting an oil burner in the kitty, the City has crawled it way back to the top of the heap not to mention with a host of features in the 4th gen car.

post-7692-0-14918300-1410501022_thumb.jp

The Ciaz is Marutis third attempt in the C segment. The Baleno didint work and while the SX4 sold decently when it was launched, it still cant be termed as a success if you compare it to other models from their stable. The Ciaz is an all new car is said to be notch larger in size. Comes in both petrol and diesel guise and is loaded with lots of features.

post-7692-0-82064200-1410501120.jpg

Coming to the question. If you were in the market for a car in this price bracket and you had to choose between the above two cars, which would you go for? The Honda City or would you plonk your money on a premium Maruti product, something that the Indian mindset hasnt quite achieved yet?

Lets hear your answers. Have also added a poll to this thread

Given a choice I will opt for Ciaz considering following points

(a) Ciaz Looks more planted and sophisticated than City because Ciaz is longest and widest in it's segment.

(B) Honda City has some impressions of it's predecessors so it doesn't look entirely new and latest compared to Ciaz which is entirely new offering from Maruti Suzuki.

© After launch of Ertiga and New Swift Maruti have raised it's image and now "Maruti" Brand name does not synonymous to the manufacturer of "Maruti 800 / Fronty" or cheap hatchbacks.

(d) Peace of mind by having easy availability of dealers / Service centres / authorised components / parts dealers etc. all across India i.e. from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

(e) I trust Maruti Suzuki's claim of having best mileage because they understand Indians the way no other car manufacturers have understood them.

(f) Since Maruti have gained experience of Indian road conditions over a period of time (almost 40 Years Experience) I believe they make their cars in such a way that is best suited for Indian road conditions and I trust Maruti's Experience.

(g) Both the engines (Diesel 1.3L (Fiat Engine) and petrol 1.4L of Ciaz are tried and tested so there is no chance Maruti can go wrong with it.

Honda no doubt has a snob value here.. Its always has that premium feeling when you buy a City.. the same does not come when buying a SX4 and that's going to continue with the Ciaz.

Even though Maruti claims to have worked on the engines to deliver power linearly, these engines pulling the car are a tad underpowered - no match to the City's petrol at least.

Its a maruti so it will sell.. but somewhere, the cost vs the power you get is going to get compared. And although the Ciaz won't feel underpowered in a city drive, working through gears will be inevitable out on highways.. thats where it will lose.

Also, the earlier 3 box craze of the Indians has somewhere started to die down.. so such an offering is not going to take off like a rocket - lets face it... Maruti cannot pull another Swift story here...

I would probably go for the Maruti as i was disappionted with the Honda's evolutionary styling. The previous city was known for its daring design and the present car has just copy-pasted it.

And while the maruti doesn't look too good either IMO , its still a very large car with lots of equipment and is the most fuel efficient car in India. And while the engines seem small, the car has a kerb weight of just over a ton so I don't think performance will suffer. Just hope it has good quality interiors...

Feels very difficult to decide. Had the Ciaz was priced 30-40K lower, it would have been Ciaz. I can't think that Ciaz could beat Honda city in performance, even though the kerb weight is low, as I feel the engines are getting outdated. Waiting for the launch and test drive.

Its all about the money to me.

With more or less comparable pricing , CITY will be a no-brainer.

Only way to make it work is to price it considerably lower , on model to model basis.

I feel it will hurt others more than CITY .

Rapid , Vento ,Sunny , Scala all are fair game.

Yes ...I think Ciaz will make a new story in Maruti sell..As all of us know the high selling Dzire.,.Slightly more prize tag...and

You own Ciaz......More familiar brand for costomer like me ..I will opt for Maruti....anytime !!

I still feal that when it comes to premium and luxuriousness...please do not prefer Maruti. Thus, people will not buy a car from Maruti at 8-9+ lac Rs. rather they would go and settle for other brands. This is all about brand image. And it applies to TATA as well. That is why a product like ARIA never took off the ground though it is a well thought product.

I agree with sstar. With a high budget many of us will not go for Maruti or other Desi passenger cars.( not utility ones). To catch the trust of high end customers, they should come with a lower price tag, superior quality in all aspects like exterior, interior, safety, built quality, FE and power. For example just compare how Korean Samsung drastically improved and survived when competed with superb Apple, within few years. And the customer is benefited.

Ciaz's front borrows heavily from the Kizashi and rear from the Honda City, side is a combination of both. Maruti has never made it big in the 3 box category after the Esteem. Perception also goes against it as a 'hatch-maker'. Honda on the other hand is the 'boss'. Ciaz must be priced not just right but real 'tight' for it to succeed, and it should perform real well in order to succeed. Ciaz has to deliver on these 3 fronts in order to succeed: tight pricing, fuel efficiency and performance. I'd choose a City any day.

For me also, it's City that I would choose.

I would be forced to rethink on this only in case Maruti heavily undercuts City on the pricing (1 lac or so).

As mentioned by others also, perception plays major role here, which Honda has achieved over years in this segment. Performance will speak later on.

Though Ciaz has raked up good initial response (more than 7k bookings) but that's still not going to be enough I guess when the current leader sells that much units every month.

I am not very happy with the honda customer service and the way they handle the Technical feed back submitted by their Technical advisor based on the customer complaints. The day I purchased Honda Amaze, that is a year back, I requested for the cabin filter and twice they have taken my feedback, based on sound logic, still Honda india has not come up with the said filter. On the other hand all the spares of maruti suzuki are available in the market and at a cheap price.