Sign in to follow this  
reddy

VolksWagen & Skoda Maintainence costs

Well we Indians have a wrong impression that Maruti cars are cheaper to maintain now. Taking an example of Swift , Maruti mandated the use of synthetic oils which shot up the normal service expenditures by almost three times. Also the service intervals of Maruti cars is 10k Kms whereas the Germans have an interval of 15k Kms.

I love my Swift, but I love my Dad's Skoda even more. German or Czech (European) quality is a different level. So even if we have to pay a little premium above Desi Maruti cars, its actually worth it. :)

Even though everyone recommends it's not necessary , Example Toyota Innova uses regular oils and they are running fine till 3Lakh Kilometeres ,Think land cruisers use regular oil , Hyundais use regular oil,

Only high end cars deriving Maximum BhP from small engine capacities & High RPM engines need Synthetic oils

I agree with Reddy here.. Just for a premium image, the cost of spares is way too high with VW and Skoda.

But to the point Bhavneet has made, I've found that MASS pushes a lot of unwanted replacements at regular scheduled maintenance intervals. This actually shoots up the maintenance costs. I've started getting my Swift serviced from a very good service station.. known guy.. costs as little as 3.5 to 4k for a regular service including oils and labor.

For someone who drives less than 10k a year, buying a VW or Skoda would not help him enjoy the advantage of the once every 15k kms service schedule.. keeping the car without a service for more than a year - I don't know if one should do that.

The serrvice cost of these german cars is rubbish. I am ready to pay even a higher cost if they are able to bring satisfaction. Everytime I walk into Skoda service centre, I am worried what these guys will come up with and fairly dis-satisfied whenever I come out....e.g. I was asked to replace CPU in my Skoda 4 years ago but still my car is still performing fine...The service is terrible but really love the cars till the time I don't have to take them to service center :unsure:

I own a POLO since past 3 years.

It has a service interval of 15000 Km or 1 Year, i have completed 2 service till date.

First service cost was around 8000 INR (Volkswagen Karnavati, Ahmedabad, Gujarat)

Second Service cost was around 12000 INR (Volkswagen Karnavati, Ahmedabad, Gujarat)

No complaints in servicing of the vehicle from the dealer.

I have a home in Ahmedabad and Pune and i keep going back and forth. I always wondered that why nobody buys VW cars in Pune while you can easily see lots of people buying VW cars in Ahmedabad. I found out the answer when i brought my car to Pune and started calling dealerships to take 3rd service appointment

There are two service centeres in Pune, Vidyut Motors and B.U Bhandari.

I called Vidyut Motors for taking service appointment and they gave me November 3rd's appointment.

I called B.U Bhandari for taking service appointment, they gave me a week's later date in case i'm dropping car to their service center, which is in Wakad (30 Kms from Magarpatta where i live) and November incase i want them to pick up my car.

I'm not sure what they would do incase a car meets with accident ? A year's later may be ? :)

I think its better to use Maruti\Tata\Hyundai in Pune

Service and maintainance cost of vw and scoda are way too high. Even though service interval is 15k kms. Service costs around 10k bucks for polo and 15k bucks for jetta. I own both and service cost does a big hole into your pocket. Similarly spare parts are too costly to afford by everyone. Vw should lower their sevice cost inorder to compete with rivals and to stay long in the market.

Dear all

I am new to this forum from Kathmandu. Just had my Skoda Fabia AC hose is aluminum made had to be replaced due to leakage caused by friction with other parts. And the price was staggering high Nepalese rupees 25k. Equivalent to indian rupee 15625. Just for the hose. Then who wants to buy these cars.

Thanks.

When I bought mu volkswagen vento the salesman told me the servicing would be around 8-10k. When i had been for servicing and the amount was 17500. Which was really shocking. Jus oil and filter changing they are charging 17500??? I submitted the bill to that person but still no clear response. When u sale a product be assured of what are u conveying to the consumer. Just to earn commission you will say any thing rubbish??

I had skoda laura an year back. For that i had been to JMD service centre nerul. Just to change the AC compressor they gave an estimate of 1lac! HAAHAHA. I will buy a Nano rather.

I agree that overall cost of ownership of VW products are very high.I own a POLO and have been informed that Clutch over haul would cost 38k and timing belt replacement would cost 18k.This for a hatchback is exorbitant.Also,there seems to be perennial problem of FDU with diesel POLO.I know more than dozen users who faced this problem.

Not only high service costs, it's the unscrupulous attitude of dealers, exorbitant parts costs of parts and a very poor track record of reliability, all put together make owning these Germans a bank breaking affair.

sometime back i was chatting with a skoda sales man who said the regular service cost for a fabia is Rs.12k per year and this used to be much higher earlier. comparing this with swift (3.5k to 4k), there is still a lot of room for improvement.

if skoda & VW are really serious about big numbers in india, they have to lower service costs. they don't have an option. and it is up to them.

even the spare parts price of all german cars is sky rocketing. i think this is their strategy of fleecing customers. you can go through the spare parts price survey which was published in Autocarindia Aug 2013. the Japanese on the other hand were true VFM at all categories, even the mighty Land Cruiser LC200 parts bin is 50% of competitive German models.

I feel the Japanese brands are more efficient & customer focused. the germans brands are more flamboyant and cash box focused.

the customer has to decide whether he wants hamburger or noodles.

For someone who drives less than 10k a year, buying a VW or Skoda would not help him enjoy the advantage of the once every 15k kms service schedule.. keeping the car without a service for more than a year - I don't know if one should do that.

For weekend drivers who prefer enthusiastic sprints or long journeys, surely VW/Skoda is a better choice? How do we manage service intervals and costs then?

On maintenance costs, how do Honda City, Chevy Cruze and Ford Fiesta compare?

On 10/16/2014 at 3:27 PM, arindam roy said:

I agree that overall cost of ownership of VW products are very high.I own a POLO and have been informed that Clutch over haul would cost 38k and timing belt replacement would cost 18k.This for a hatchback is exorbitant.Also,there seems to be perennial problem of FDU with diesel POLO.I know more than dozen users who faced this problem.

Hi Arindam,

I own a VW Polo diesel for the past 6 years. Just came across this post of yours regarding timing belt cost and FDU.

Can you please elaborate a bit on FDU? Would be great if you could spare some time and revert.