Sign in to follow this  
Sabyasachi Dey

Exposed !!!

Dear Members,

Hello !!!

I have a couple of queries in my mind that have grown over time being in a relation with my bike.How good is an exposed O ring drive chain on bikes ? And what kind of maintenance does it require, especially on a 200 NS ?

Exposed O ring seal drive chain is a sporty version of normal drive chain which requires minimal maintainance as per the manufacture but in reality given the dusty and climate of our road one needs to serivce the chain every 30 days using normal machine oil.

Also manufacturers reduce extra metal costs by not providing the chain cover which results in a net gain. But I would advice you to service the chain DIY every month.

Earlier iteration of exposed chain had problem where the chain sounded rough due to rusting but the quality has improved overtime.

Agree with rssh, the chain may be corrosion resistant(better metallurgy) as far as corrosion is concerned but abrasion due to mud and sand can't be avoided. The chain should be cleaned with the kerosine and brush once every 30days & later lubricated with gear oil.

In Indian conditions you need to definitely oil the exposed chain on a monthly basis.

But IMO you should not worry too much about it enjoy the bike and service regularly every 5000kms / 6 months.

Thanks for the advice.

I agree with this viewpoint that despite the claim these chains are really a pain to maintain. Manufacturers might want to look into it.

Yet, for the kind of performance they provide I think a little bit of care would go a long way.

Buy a chain lubricant from bajaj or any local automobile parts shop. I think it sells for about Rs.130-Rs.170 for 100ml depending on the brand. Lubricate the bike's chain yourself every 400-500kms. And as mentioned by the others above clean the chain with brush and kerosene once in a month(about 1500kms) yourself or you could take the bike to the service centre and ask them to do it. And also get the chain tightened from time to time whenever you take it to the service centre.