Sign in to follow this  
PrancingHorse

Premier Padmini, HM Ambassador or Maruti 800. What would you choose?

The Indian motoring scene has changed over the past couple of decades in a big way but at one point of time we as car buyers never really had a wide choice when it came to buying cars. The three cars that I have mentioned in the title were by default the cars to choose from a a typical Indian family. So my question is this. If you were to choose from these three cars and buy one today what would you go for? Do mention the reason for your choice

The Premier Padmini

post-7692-0-45842600-1416467859.jpg

The Hindustan Ambassador

post-7692-0-46439100-1416467871.jpg

or the little Maruti 800

post-7692-0-48334800-1416467880.jpg

Images sourced from Google

If i were having extra cash and some extra parking space, and would love to have a piece of Indian automotive history in my garage, I would first go for the Fiat Millicento, second would be the Maruti 800 SS80 and then the Land Master :)

I have driven Premier Padmini and loved the car for it's engine and engine sound, sofa seat and some exterior chrome detailing on the bumper etc...

But since some time I started liking HM Ambassador as it was still on production and sold brand new from authorised HM showrooms and I wanted to gift the same to my father because of it's back seat comfort, 1800cc Isuzu Engine , planted ride and retro look.

I have driven Maruti 800 for some time and it's peppy engine was it's USP but other things such as break etc.. were worst than expected.

I would still love to own HM Ambassador and will surely own if I find reliable machine at reasonable price.

Although I am not fond of Hindustan Motors for not updating the Amby with the times, I'm in absolute love with the car! We had grown up with the Amby, it was always there... sadly even the red-light babus had ditched it and now it lies in the grave. If HM would consider resurrecting the car with modern mechanicals and a new ground-up design (being loyal to the original curves), I'm sure there would be many takers for that! They could look at DC's "Ambie-Rod" for inspiration! :)

The M800 was the real game changer in India, in many ways than one. Maruti (or Suzuki rather) took real pains to maintain quality standards through regular audits in their authorised service centers and through "Maruti Genuine Parts". It all seems too normal now, when you walk into a showroom or garage, these "normal" service standards were unheard of when Maruti came in. I still admire the 800, its a very friendly car to drive, own and live with. People still don't recognise the Tata Nano as a proper car, because of its quirky engine at the back and the earlier non-opening hatch. But the 800 was a proper car, 4 doors, proper hatch, all-so familiar engine at the front, all of which made owning it a very satisfying experience. Not to mention the technology and transverse engine layout, which really did feel like "rocket science" at the time!