AshwanthShriram

use of parking/marker lamps ?

What is the use of parking/marker lamps provided on some bikes/scooters ? I think many people don't use them at all !!

rds

Ashwanth

These are mainly to be used sans the headlight on well lit roads. Even the high mounted, sodium vapour, street lamps, on many city roads offer poor visibility of the road topography during night driving. With our car/bike headlights on, there is some kind of illusion and some visibility problems do arise with such high mounted, sodium vapour lamps.

I try using the parking lights of my car on such roads, but these make us fully dependable on street lights- thats again not too good a choice.

This is one case where the yankee name - Parking Light is better than the British moniker (Side Light). They are for parking and not driving on, except in possibly exceptionally well lit areas or where prohibited. In many countries motorcyclists are required to always have their headlamps on. 

I've only found them useful for two things:

1.To read the instruments when it's too dark to see them clearly, but light enough to not warrant switching the headlamp on, and 2. To help others see me in the same low-light conditions.

Personally, I don't see their point. We can do without them unless parked in a dark area.

i drove some 200 kms last night from Nagpur to mp n back to Nagpur,n believe me it was a lot of times when i had to stop roadside in dark.

there u cant keep ur engine,even the engine needs rest..

n there i really wished i had parking lights in my bike

Exactly defines the precise function of parking light. In the old days (may be event oday) you could park on the roadside and using the indicator select which parking lights (front and rear)  will be on.