Sign in to follow this  
ameya_m

Swift alloy query

Hi,

planning to replace the alloys in my Swift Vxi but keeping the same tires. The tires are 165/80R14. What width of rim should I purchase- they have a 5" rim (meant fo the Celerio but also 14") which I like and also a 5.5" one. Should I buy the former or the later?

Ameyam

post-71971-0-74921100-1419615852.jpg

post-71971-0-98793700-1419615860_thumb.j

My suggestion , upgrade the tyres to 195/60/15 .

Benefits:

1. Improved grip and handling as compared to factory fitted tyres

2. Beefed up look which the Swift deserves

3. Wide variety of alloys available in 15" as compared to standard size

I went through that thought process. However, the dealers are offering me paltry sums for my 165 tires that have done just 1600km. In fact a dealer himself told me to stick with the tires I have. Their logic is that once I am through with these tires, I should upgrade to 175 tires on the same width. This will ensure I get the best FE as well as decent handling for a city car and the advantages of alloys

175 on the same width is not a good option.

Go for the pre face-lift 185-70R14.. The deviation on the speedometer is within the acceptable range. There is a marginal drop in FE, but that's a happy trade off.. I did it too.

Upgrading to 185 section later, if that's the plan, sick to a 5.5 alloy.

Neeraj,

It boils down to cost. My 165 tires have done just 1600km but the exchange amounts I am getting are peanuts. Rather than giving away my stock tires for almost free, its better I stick with them and change just the rims. A 5" wide rim accepts my current tire & takes a 175 wide tire in future. A 185 tire would require a 5.5" rim which would be border line tor my existing tire. So I am thinking of going with the former case

Ameyam

The 175 section tires are not a fit for the Swift tires.

The red figures in the snap below clearly say you should not use that tire size as it does not match with your car's specifications.

I have upgraded already to 185 section which came with the 2010 Swift face lift with the ZXi model.

post-3907-0-70490500-1420531365.jpg

Also, if you do not want to go for a upgrade right away, stick to the steel wheels you got and change only when you are going to upgrade your tires.

Can someone answer a couple of questions that I am not getting a definative answer for

1) What is the best rim width to chose that will accommodate both my existing (165) and future (likely 185) wide R14 tires? From the research I have done, 165 can be fitted on 4.5"to 6" and 185 on 5" to 6.5". If so, are there any disadvantages to fitting the 165 on a 5.5" rim or a 185 on a 5" rim? This is important because which wheel I chose really depends on this

2) What is the stock offset for the Swift or the range for it? This is important because the 5" rim has a 45mm inset and the 5.5" ones have 50mm and 55mm

Irrespective of the design of the alloy, I need it to be mechanically sound, so I really need the get an answer to these questions

Ameyam