tejasmehta990

2nd Hand Cars - Whats your Choice - Budget 4 Lakhs max

2nd Hand Cars - Whats your Choice - Budget 4 Lakhs max  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which car you will prefer as 2nd hand Car within budget of 4 Lakhs Max

• Honda City ZX Vtec
    • Toyota Corrola 1.8G (Manual / Automatic)
    • Renault Logan (Petrol / Diesel)
    • Tata Safari 2.2L Dicor
    • Toyota Innova V (Petrol / Diesel)
    • Honda Civic
    • VW Polo
    • Maruti Suzuki SX4
    • Hyundai i20
    • Skoda Octavia

I was browsing through websites such as CARWALE, CARDEKHO , CARTRADE etc... and found so many attractive choice of cars within budget of 4 Lakh rupees.

If we look for brand new cars within budget of 4 Lakhs there are very limited choices available with cars having very limited features and facilities.

If you are given a choice to buy 2nd Hand Car with budget of maximum 4 Lakh what will be your choice ?

my preferred choices are

a) Honda City ZX Vtec - For it's looks

B) Toyota Innova - For it's ownership experience, size and looks.

c) Mahindra Renault Logan -Low running cost , big cabin and luggage space, best suited for highway as well as city driving.

d) Toyota Corrola - Brand , premium feel and reliability.

e) Maruti Suzuki SX4 - Peace of mind, interior space, reliability

Though I love Tata Safari but because the ownership experience and after sales service of Tata Cars is not good I may stay away. It's like playing gamble. You may win / loose.

Mahindra Renault Logan is preferred because of it's low running cost as well as less electronic equipment as well as build quality so even if it's pre-owned the experience to own the same won't be a mistake. But exterior look of Logan is very boring so before entring the car there will always be a feeling of a "compromise purchase" if opted for logan.

Suzuki SX4 is best among the lot due to reliability attached to it and the look of car is also not very boring.

Honda city ZX Vtec looks great but I have heard of honda cars having problem with its suspension.

If you have any more suggestion please give your inputs.

I would pick the Civic. There are tons of cars out there within 4 lakhs and honestly they are a bargain. You get a 16 lakh rupee car for that price . I have friends who have bought used Civics in that price bracket and are loving it. The Corolla would be second though they are boring cars to drive

+1 to what PH said.

Civic is more fun to drive and I think you won't be getting Altis in 4 lac range (it might be pre 2008 Corolla model).

3rd in the list would be Innova but again I don't think you will get a diesel Innova in this price range and even 2005 models are priced insanely high. Also, Innova will only make sense if you are looking for a proper 7 seater and will be using that space quite often.

I have bought a 2004 Corolla H5 for 2.2 lakhs in Oct 2013. I converted it to CNG and the ownership experience has been 100% satisfactory. There is no maintenance whatsoever apart from the servicing (Rs. 3000). The comfort and driving pleasure (even on CNG) has been way better than any midsized sedan. The economy is excellent at Rs 2-3 per km. Aftermarket parts are available in abundance.The car also has good ground clearance and can glide over bad roads way better than Honda Civic. I would recommend this car to every used car buyer. CNG or petrol can be decided as per the daily running.

Also Please consider the Chevrolet Optra LT.It is a very good Car.My Dad owns an Optra 2004.She is 11 Years old and has not given us a Single trouble on the City and the Highways.Petrol 1.6 Mileage is 12-1 Kmpl in City.It can go up to 18 Kmpl on Highways.Chevrolet also has good Service Centre.Optra is very cheap to get today.Optra LT which is the Top model has Sunroof,2 Airbags,ABS,6 CD Changer,Alloy Wheels.You can get one under Rs.3 Lakhs.Thanks

When it comes to 2nd Hand I prefer to keep my budget very tight but it's not good to be miser in case of used car otherwise it will be otherway round and we end up spending more time in garage instead of road.

If I purchase used / pre-owned vehicle I will either purchase from my close relative of whom I am aware of their driving pattern and and the way they maintained it or from reputed certified pre-owned car dealership only.

Even I like Civic the most and there are good cars available but I believe Civic is loaded with lots of electronics which may be very expensive to get repaired or replaced.

Alternatively as compared to Civic Corrola feels more trustworthy while going for used one.

Even Honda Accord is available within price range of 3 Lakhs to 3.5 Lakhs but because of fuel economy and cost of repair and maintenance it is best to avoid the same.

1518-honda-accord-24-vti-l-at-5.jpg

If budget is stretched a little more than 4 Lakhs for eg up to 5 Lakhs max than within this bracket I have seen lots of Mercedes C-Class are available. So now Indian buyers have lots of choices even if they are going for used vehicles.

250-mercedes-benz-c-class-c-class-180-classic-1.jpg

People should differ from going for hatch back such as Alto / Santro / Indica / etc... while opting for pre-owned vehicles because they may get a sedan which is having something more in terms of space as well as image than a hatch at the same price of hatch.

Speaking of the Accord the previous gen cars go for a song. If fuel efficiency is not a bother you can get a 220 bhp 3.0 litre V6 for 3 lakhs off and boy that is a fast car. I loved it even more the 3.5 litre V6 which came later

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a used sedan. One of my friend suggested to go for either of these SX4, H.city/civic,or Verna...now I am pretty confused as for which one to buy. My main concern is the maintenace..which is not heavy on pockets plus its good for travelling (long distance) also. Pls suggest me which one shall I buy.aS I dont want to spend too much on Maintenance.. Thanks...

You can opt for either SX4 or Verna because both these cars are from reputed manufacturer and have service stations and parts availability in the remotest location of India.

But if you are very look conscious and want some performance also nothing beats Civic.

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a used sedan. One of my friend suggested to go for either of these SX4, H.city/civic,or Verna...now I am pretty confused as for which one to buy. My main concern is the maintenace..which is not heavy on pockets plus its good for travelling (long distance) also. Pls suggest me which one shall I buy.aS I dont want to spend too much on Maintenance.. Thanks...

Honda is very reliable.More than Maruti.But Spares are Costlier on Honda.City is more safer on the Highways.Most stable will be the Civic.Something that is More Stable and More Comfy is the Optra.11 years of Troublefree Ownership on my Optra.Its cheaper to get and I highly recommend it for Highways.

A golden rule to be applied in case of buying a used car - 'Never buy one which you can't afford to run brand new'. The simple reason is that no matter how good the condition is, it can never be as good as a brand new vehicle. Hence, it would make you spend more when it comes to service and repairs.

For those who are budget conscious and need to put high mileage every month, my advice would be to go for a diesel hatch with low mileage on odo; preferably a Swift/ Dzire or an i20. For those with low running in a month, a City or SX4 would be a perfect solution.

It is always advisable to stay away from discontinued cars as much as possible as the spares become more and more hard to find and expensive to procure with every passing month. This is also one of the reasons why these cars are available at dirt cheap prices in the second hand market.

Lastly, if I were to have a budget of 4 lacs, I would have bought a new hatch instead of going for a second hand vehicle. It would have been a new i10 or a Swift Petrol, though it might have pushed me to go over my budget a bit.

I am with the gold rule "Never buy one which you can't afford to run brand new", Pay one hundred thousands down payment and rest EMI for new swift or I20 . New car will give you more satisfaction, confidence, drive comfort, and no hassles for maintenance another four years.

In India its a gamble to buy used car as 99.99% used car dealer rig the kilometres and no trust worthy history.

I wonder why people have not voted for 2nd Hand Tata Safari 2.2L Dicor.

I have seen most of the top leaders and politicians uses Tata Safari for their security or personal use.

Is Tata Safari the vehicle to avoid if available in 2nd Hand conditions ?

Tata Safari is offered approximately in beween 2.50L to 3.50L and I feel it is a good 7/8 seater but I have driven Tata Indica (Diesel and Petrol) in past and was not happy with overall ownership experience.

But considering Safari being "Premium" product from Tata I feel it may be a good 2nd hand option within tight budget.

Can anyone share their experience of owning and maintaining Tata Safari ?

TATA-SAFARI-DICOR-1.jpg

You have to marry a Tata service station as you will spend more time at TATA service station for small -small issues rather on road.

My friend having Tata safari who always says keep the TATA car for 3-4 years and dispose off due to high maintenance and poor customer service of the Tata .