Sign in to follow this  
tejasmehta990

Why Hyundai Cars are not appreciated as "Driver's Car"

Hyundai Motors are introducing excellent products in India with robust and satisfactory after sales support since they started business in India.

Though until the launch of "Accent" Hyundai was know only for it's cute little hatch "Santro" promoted by Shaharukh khan. But since some time Hyundai is offering great products such as i10, i20, Fluidic Verna, Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe , Grand i10, XCENT , Elite i20 etc...

The new range of Hyundai cars are well appreciated for the overall quality and have set benchmark for other car manufacturers to match to the level of interior and exterior quality offered by the Hyundai cars but surprisingly they are not appreciated by the drivers behind the wheels.

Please share your driving experience with Hyundai cars as compared to other cars such as Swift, Punto, Polo or City , Linea , Vento etc....

For eg. Swift is considered to be the best driver's hatchback so as the Honda City in the sedan segment. So where the Elite i20 and Verna are lacking when it comes to driving pleasure ???

Also people who have driven Polo can not resist appreciating the german engineering of polo as well as the manner in which the polo drives and handle itself on the highways.

Let's do some operation to understand why Hyundai cars are not appreciated by the people who love to drive their cars.

The drivers can never be appreciated by other than drivers ,They can never be comfortable to others , Hyundais are targeting for other segments , How ever the closest one is New I 20

To answer your question, I would suggest that you drive the Hyundai Verna and VW Vento back to back, preferably taking them around a few twisty bends at speeds of about 50-70 kms per hour. You would notice the reason why Hyundais' are not driver's cars. My brother in law uses the Fluidic Verna and I have driven it on a few occasions. While the car looks fantastic both inside and out, I somehow did not connect with the way the car drives and also didn't find the rear bench to be lacking under-thigh support and not at all comfortable. Guess the low seating owing to a coupe like roof-line is to blame.

To be honest, even Hondas' (barring the earlier 1998-02 Z spec models) are no driver cars but they somehow seem to be only marginally better than the Hyundais'. I myself own the now discontinued Santro Xing but don't use it much myself. However, its a small nippy go-kartish car which is so easy to plonk into tight and narrow spaces partly due to the hydraulic steering setup and partly due to its overall small size. However, passenger comfort is something not worth discussing as it suffers from a really bumpy ride.

One thing worth mentioning is that Hyundai also seems to be making the most effort of all the other players in constantly improving the quality of their products and their whole range of cars stands a testament to the same. Also worth appreciating is the fact that they don't treat India as a dumping ground for internationally discontinued or highly downgraded products. One can't take away from the fact that they introduced Indians to the Common Rail Diesel Injection technology unlike the Europeans who were marketing a generation old and obsolete Pumpe Deuce systems in their vehicles. The mere fact that they are the only serious challengers to Maruti Suzuki in India is no small feat and speaks volumes of their seriousness about the Indian market.

They certainly deserve the respect that they have earned over time!

While the car looks fantastic both inside and out, I somehow did not connect with the way the car drives and also didn't find the rear bench to be lacking under-thigh support and not at all comfortable.

Please ignore the error above as I did find Verna's rear bench to be lacking under thigh support and not at all comfortable.

I agree that Hyundai cars are not driver centric likes the ones we get from European (VW, Fiat etc) or American (Ford) manufacturers.

Even Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota etc) are sort of neutral at handling but better than Hyundai.

It basically boils down to the suspension setup and steering calibration, which is just too soft in Hyundai cars.

However, their newer products like Grand i10, Elite i20 etc are far better than their previous versions in ride and handling department.

As mentoined by Hersch, one area where Hyundai excels in Indian market is their ability to bring latest offerings.

Even today, they are considered as benchmark in providing quality, feature rich interiors which other manufacturers just are not able to match.

Even when Santro was launched, it was leagues ahead in terms of feature and interior quality at that time.

To answer your question, I would suggest that you drive the Hyundai Verna and VW Vento back to back, preferably taking them around a few twisty bends at speeds of about 50-70 kms per hour. You would notice the reason why Hyundais' are not driver's cars. My brother in law uses the Fluidic Verna and I have driven it on a few occasions. ................................................................., I somehow did not connect with the way the car drives and also didn't find the rear bench to be lacking under-thigh support and not at all comfortable. Guess the low seating owing to a coupe like roof-line is to blame.............

To be honest, even Hondas' ............................ However, passenger comfort is something not worth discussing as it suffers from a really bumpy ride.

They certainly deserve the respect that they have earned over time!

+1 Hersch . I drove i10 and was not at all impressed with the behavior of steering. I thought there may be some mechanical problem but actually there was no problem at all.

May be Hyundai cars are good for city driving and for comfort driving but not for the drivers who wants to connect emotionally with their cars.

May be we will learn more about Hyundai cars by inputs from more users.

What's Drivers car ? A car with more Responsiveness , Direct Steering feel ,With less body role Are few things you will notice in Drivers Cars ,The cars categorised in this segment is BMW ,Porsche and other Sports cars ,

The disadvantage in this type of cars ,Suspension harshness with discomfort to passengers, This will not be suitable for indian road conditions ,Rear passengers will be Subjected to great Discomfort ,

Hence today' you have choice of cars depending on your requirement,

Hyundai are categerised as comfort cars Not sports cars,