sachins

Looking for a compact MUV

Dear Members,

I am in the market now and looking for a compact MUV.

My requirements are as below:

Budget: Max 14 lacs

City/Highway: 70/30

Max pax: 6 adult, 1 child

Fuel: Any (preference to Petrol)

Monthly running: 1000 km

Transmission: AT

My initial 1st choice was Innova Crysta but due to registration ban in NCR, it's no more viable.

Also, I wanted an AT and even Gx AT (which is bare ones) will cost more than 18 lacs OTR

I am not considering Tata and Mahindra vehicles as I already have a fair share of experience with them. Also no 5 seater compact SUV's are under consideration.

Others options considered and test driven

1. Maruti Ertiga

Pros:

Absolute VFM (Diesel top end ZDI+ at 10.25 lacs OTR)

Top end model has almost all features (except ACC)

Trust worthy A.S.S and low maintenance

Cons:

No AT (though listed on site but no dealer is taking it's booking)

3rd row bit cramped

Almost nil boot space with 3 rows up

Plastic quality is average

Beige interiors (too much)

2. Honda BRV

Before you ask, let me tell you I don't consider it as SUV (as Honda claims) because it's not.

It's a MUV or we can just call it as face lifted Mobilio.

Pros:

Looks very good from front

Better space than Ertiga (all rows)

AT (CVT) option in petrol with paddle shifters (very convenient)

All black cabin

I found built quality better than Mobilio/Amaze (definitely better than Ertiga)

Usable boot space with all 3 rows up

Cons:

Petrol CVT is only available in V variant, misses out on some features of top end Vx

13.6 lacs OTR (would say almost 50k to 75k more for what it offers)

No touch screen, navigation, reverse camera or parking sensors

3. Renault Lodgy

Pros:

Good cabin space

Very good diesel engine

Very good discounts on offer

Cons:

Bland looks

Very average to poor interiors

No sliding 2nd row seat (severely impacts cabin space usage)

No AT or AMT as of now

Currently BRV looks to suit my requirements better.

Looking forward for your comments or suggestions.

Edited by sachins

Take a look at Mahindra NovoSport and TUV 300. They both are mini SUVs, TUV is having more space than NovoSport and both of them are available in AMT with 1.5 mHawk engine and it is well in your budget.

Also, if AT is not your preferrence than I think you should be good with XUV 500 as well. However, you will not get the topend in 14L but you would get quiet a lot of features but manual only.

Edited by Sstar

Thanks @Sstar

As I had mentioned, no Tata/Mahindra cars under consideration.

I already have a Safari (to be sold now), hence TUV300 or NuovoSport doesn't make any sense as those side facing jump seats are of no use.

AT is my prime requirement along with 7 seats (front facing).

Currently under my budget only Ertiga and BRV fits the bill.

sachins

Have you considered the Lodgy? Its a very underrated MUV. The engine is bullet proof and fuel efficient too. Plus its easy to drive as well. Only thing is its not AT

Considering AT the Eritiga is your best bet

Thanks @PH

Yes, I did checked out Lodgy.

Though it' priced quite well and have heavy discounts going on it, but apart from lack of AT there are couple more issues

- interior quality is pretty poor

- no sliding 2nd row, defeats the whole purpose of space management

Ertiga is good option specially considering it's price. But again couple of issues

- no dealer is willing to take AT booking citing it's no longer being produced (though still listed on site)

- AT option only on Vxi trim, misses on few features of top end

BTW, prices of Ertiga diesel (SHVS) has been further reduced due to tax cut on hybrids

Example: Old ZDI+ price: 9.28 lakh New price: 8.66 lakh

So net net apart from BRV CVT, no other option is looking good currently

Since Ertiga AT was nowhere insight, hence booked a BRV CVT (V) variant for 21k.

Delivery expected in 4-6 weeks.

I guess this segment really needs some more options, specially in AT.

Innova seems almost a perfect MUV but recent ban by NGT and it's price doesn't inspire confidence in me to go for it.

Who knows what silly rule NGT/courts might come up with next.

So it's best to stick with petrols with AT.

Though I know BRV is bit over priced but then there are not many 7 seater options in this price range.

Update:

Finally after waiting for 1.5 months for BRV CVT and much deliberation, our family decided to cancel it's booking.

Now booked Innova Crysta Gx AT variant (Avant-Garde Bronze color).

Though it's low on features but it serves our primary purpose of space, AT convenience and reliability.

Should cost around 18.5 lacs OTR with waiting of around 3-4 weeks.

Now waiting for the decision on > 2000cc diesel registration ban scheduled for tomorrow.

If the ban gets lifted (with some reasonable green tax levy) then I will register it here in UP (Ghaziabad), else in Dehradun (UK).

Fingers crossed.

Great car to own Sachin. Toyota has really sensed the feeling of Indian car owners and changed the van look of Innova and made it as SUV.With more power ,AMT Gear Box and more features like Hill start assist ,Innova become the dream car to own in India. Congrats once again and share the review.

If you wait for around a month more, the Toyota is rolling out the Innova in a petrol version too. It's a big powerful 2.7 litre engine which produces 164 bhp of power and 245 Nm of torque. I have been a happy owner of the Innova since the past 7 years, & to be honest it is one of the true blue 7 seaters in the market. The sliding middle row ensure that BOTH the rear rows have ample leg room & with Toyota, the performance is never a question. 

On 02/08/2016 at 0:53 PM, Chandril said:

If you wait for around a month more, the Toyota is rolling out the Innova in a petrol version too. It's a big powerful 2.7 litre engine which produces 164 bhp of power and 245 Nm of torque. I have been a happy owner of the Innova since the past 7 years, & to be honest it is one of the true blue 7 seaters in the market. The sliding middle row ensure that BOTH the rear rows have ample leg room & with Toyota, the performance is never a question. 

Yes, dealers have already started taking booking of Petrol Innova Crysta. Initially I too was in two minds whether to take diesel or wait a bit for petrol one.

Finally went for diesel one mainly due to inherent pull (torque) of diesel units, petrol just can't match it.

Remember it's a heavy vehicle so expect nothing more than single digit FE numbers from petrol.

22 hours ago, PrancingHorse said:

Congrats sachin. An automatic Innova is a very sensible buy. Do post a new thread in the ownership reviews section with a detailed review and photos. Drive safe

Thanks @PH. Yes, my prime requirement was an AT. Apart from BRV/XUV/Innova there were no other contenders. Settled for Innova finally after much deliberation.

Congratulations sachins for your New Innova Crysta 2.8 GX.

Please write your ownership experience in dedicated ownership section along with detailed pics of its Interiors & other detailing.

Btw, Its now have been a month with your New Innova. Please do update on its fuel efficiency, its service cost details & any Interior updates. Since this GX variant doesn't come with a music system, so do update on which system you've opted for, Dual din Touchscreen or basic one.

@BonFre, thanks once again. My is silver colour, though beige (Toyota calls it AvantGarde Bronze) is also a very nice colour.
@dr_nishu, thanks for your wishes.
I just had the 1st service done, nothing much to update there as it was just checking and normal wash done.

I haven't done tank full calculation, but FE in city varies from 10-11 kmpl which includes bumper to bumper traffic.

I had a 600km highway/city mix run too and FE was around 14kmpl.

It looks decent to me considering car has just run in and engine is 2.8L one.

1lac km/3 yrs warranty is standard but I intended to extended by 2 more yrs which is provided by Toyota. Had I taken it during time of delivery it would have costed around 19k but due to finance limitation I intend to do it in a few months time.

During delivery I opted for below accessories only as OEM ones are quite expensive:

- Rear bike guard, mud flaps, front/rear bumper protector, 3M under body anti rust treatment

I have fitted following aftermarket accessories

- Phoenix GPS tracking system for 10k

- Pioneer music system (AVH-X5890BT) for 23k

- Art leather seat covers for 16k

- Front fog lights for 4k

- Steering cover for 1k

- Wood Finish dashboard trim for 8.5k (All 4 doors and dashboard). They take out panels which you require to be painted and take 1 day time, there are different shades from which you can choose

Below are few interior pictures

2016-09-04 11.52.25.jpg

2016-09-04 11.52.43.jpg

2016-09-04 11.52.49.jpg

2016-09-04 11.53.19.jpg

2016-09-04 11.53.53.jpg

2016-09-04 11.54.14.jpg