Rainman

Skoda Fabia

I probably won't dislike it much after I get the central lock modded to autolock after 15kmph. Otherwise it is an irritant, having to unlock/lock when entering malls, office complexes etc. 

It is irritating just because you are so used to remote fuel-lid and boot openers.

3. bonnet opener on the left side.

I would add position of turn indicator lever on the wrong side to this list. Of course, the obvious reason is that they are trying to reuse maximum from the European Fabia.

The knowledge level of Skoda dealers around the country seems to be similar. Our local dealer commented that "all high end cars come with the indicator lever on the wrong side" as if it was a feature. smiley36.gif

well in the japanese cars you have the headlight and indicator switch on the right and the wiper switch on the left while its vice versa for the non japanese cars....chevy,renault,skoda have completely different setup as compared to the japanese !!!! well dats y wen i was test driving the magnum every time i wanted to give a turn signal i ended up flapping the wipers on d windscreen !!!

I don't know what's worse - Skoda inflicting us with their overpriced underpowered cars or their dealers insulting our intelligence. I suppose the bonnet opener on the far left is a luxury device too? So you can luxuriate with your face in your passenger's lap each time you reach across? And by that definition, the Chevrolet Spark (which also has controls inverted) is also a high end luxury car.

Who is this *****? Please list the name and location of his dealership so we can all save ourselves this trauma, or hop across for a laugh.

In my opinion, this is a cost saving exercise that companies use to save on converting a left hand drive cockpit to a right hand drive. You can see this clearly with most Fords. Just another example of how Skoda cuts costs and overcharges the poor naive Indian natives. (Another of course is that auto-rickshaw challenging 1.2 petrol engine.)

I thought poor naive indian natives could not afford Skoda so overcharging cannot take place how often does one open the bonnet that it makes so much of a difference in the location of the lever as far as having a passenger instead of ........ one could ask them to pull the lever of course if they were the naive poor indian types they might not know how.

I don't know what's worse - Skoda inflicting us with their overpriced underpowered cars or their dealers insulting our intelligence. I suppose the bonnet opener on the far left is a luxury device too? So you can luxuriate with your face in your passenger's lap each time you reach across? And by that definition' date=' the Chevrolet Spark (which also has controls inverted) is also a high end luxury car.

Who is this *****? Please list the name and location of his dealership so we can all save ourselves this trauma, or hop across for a laugh.

In my opinion, this is a cost saving exercise that companies use to save on converting a left hand drive cockpit to a right hand drive. You can see this clearly with most Fords. Just another example of how Skoda cuts costs and overcharges the poor naive Indian natives. (Another of course is that auto-rickshaw challenging 1.2 petrol engine.)

[/quote']

Skoda makes such well built cars and of good quality too. But they seem to have hardly invested in training their dealers. The dealer in question is Vinayak cars,  Bangalore. I've  run into such people twice so far in the same dealership. The second time was pathetic - I knew the specifications and details better than him. Like someone said - these guys are used to selling cars to people who ask very few questions. Oh! Of course, they always have an answer for the mileage question. smiley4.gif

And in the end all that seems to matter is how many cars they sell.

well for me its a real mystery to me as to why skoda has put such crapyy engines in fabia !!! there 1.4 l petrol which makes 84 bhp gets to 0-100 kmph in 17.5 secs while many small cars like spark,estilo,wagonr,santro and i10 reach that speed almost 1-2 seconds earlier...and these are mere 65 bhp cars !!! well if u pay 6-7 lacs for a car u surely expect a decent performing engine in the car !!! it will be interesting to have a race between fabia 1.4 and alto...alto might even pull a surprise win !!!

good point mehul_bhp. but no mystery, alas! skoda do make well built cars. it's a pity their structural integrity does not extend to their pricing. why do we pay almost as much for a 1.4 diesel fabia as someone in the UK buying a 100bhp 1.9 turbo diesel Fabia vRS (which we don't even get here). why do we pay as much for the outdated Octavia (no longer on sale in Europe) as a customer in London would for a Laura? (London taxes are similar to ours.) don't believe they hype? look at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/64144/skoda_fabia.html

or

roomy?

good point mehul_bhp. but no mystery' date=' alas! skoda do make well built cars. it's a pity their structural integrity does not extend to their pricing. why do we pay almost as much for a 1.4 diesel fabia as someone in the UK buying a 100bhp 1.9 turbo diesel Fabia vRS (which we don't even get here). why do we pay as much for the outdated Octavia (no longer on sale in Europe) as a customer in London would for a Laura? (London taxes are similar to ours.) don't believe they hype? look at http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/longtermtests/64144/skoda_fabia.html

or

roomy?

[/quote']

I ask myself the same question whenever I am in USA. Honda Civic in $15K & BMW 3 series in $25K smiley3.gifsmiley3.gifsmiley3.gifsmiley3.gifsmiley3.gif

The only ace skoda has in india is a variety of diesel powerplants. This is the sole reason for their success here. While other biggies like toyota & party, have shied  away from bringing in diesels , skoda has completely exploited the oppurtunity. Skodas PETROL engines are crappy & no match to the japanese engines. 

well for me its a real mystery to me as to why skoda has put such crapyy engines in fabia !!! there 1.4 l petrol which makes 84 bhp gets to 0-100 kmph in 17.5 secs while many small cars like spark' date='estilo,wagonr,santro and i10 reach that speed almost 1-2 seconds earlier...and these are mere 65 bhp cars !!! well if u pay 6-7 lacs for a car u surely expect a decent performing engine in the car !!! it will be interesting to have a race between fabia 1.4 and alto...alto might even pull a surprise win !!! [/quote'] I think 17.5 sec is for the 1.2lt petrol the 1.4lt one has 13-15 secs to 100kmph also the 1.4lt is good buy considering the price and power ,features (for fabia not for othersmiley36.gif) the 1.2lt base with 1.4lt engine can be accepted and I think the 1.4lt give better milege than 1.2lt?!!!smiley18.gif

1.4 lt petrol has the 17.5 seconds figure. I test drove this model and was horrified to see the pathetic engine power. 1.2 lt should be even worse.

Skoda may have succeded in India due to their diesel engines, but the fact remains that they dont have a modern diesel engine in their range. Octavia engine has obsolete technology and their PD engine has been junked by VW. So to stay with current tech., they must introduce a Common Rail engine.

Skoda has also cheated Indian public by pushing their petrol engines without modifying them for Indian fuel, and quoting performance figures of Europe. They think Indians would be grateful to buy whatever the 'mighty' Skoda offer them.

Skoda needs a new and wiser management team in India. Consider the following marketing gems coined by them:-

their adv. tag line: 'Skoda - obsessed with quality since 1895'

Fact: Skoda quality was the biggest butt of car jokes worldwide till about 10 years ago.

Octavia ad highlight: 550 litre 'Double bed boot'

Fact: People buy cars to sit on the seats and not to sleep in the boot. And to make the situation more comical, Octavia rear seat is cramped for passengers.

Perhaps Skoda wishes passengers to sit in the boot.

it's really good to see so many people come together as more discerning customers. does anyone have an email address to the top brass at Skoda India - or better yet, Skoda global HQ? we should send them a link to this thread. I think this is a clear message to manufacturers that the consumers of this country are more aware. It's about time.

There is no doubt that Skoda dealers by and large are lousy and spares are expensive but in my opinion this is a free world and people are allowed to sell their wares at whatever price they feel the market will bear and it is nobodies business but their own. What I feel (by reading the various posts) is that most of these people making comments desperately would like to own the Skoda brand but cannot afford to, hence all these hate posts etc

right. why didn't anyone think of that before? that's why there are so many more posts bashing rolls royce and bentley...

yes it is a free world. skoda is free to price their cars at whatever they want to. and we're all free to criticise that strategy.

diablo379892008-07-13 11:13:47

There is no doubt that Skoda dealers by and large are lousy and spares are expensive but in my opinion this is a free world and people are allowed to sell their wares at whatever price they feel the market will bear and it is nobodies business but their own. What I feel (by reading the various posts) is that most of these people making comments desperately would like to own the Skoda brand but cannot afford to' date=' hence all these hate posts etc[/quote']

Yes people are free to sell their wares at what ever price they want, but the last part of your post is a lousy comment. If we point out a geniune problem or a mistake on the manufacturers part, people like you start calling that a hate mail. Can you counter any of the shortcomings pointed out by so many members? And how can you judge financial capability of the members writing such 'hate mails', that they cant afford to buy Skoda.

In fact it is due to ignorant people like you who continue to support a brand blindly without seeing the glaring mistakes, some companies have been exploiting Indian public for long.

I think he works for Skoda (read in some earlier posts) not sure but he get back to the topic Fabia .What happened to the 1.2lt petrol FE and power delivery issue that Skoda said did they find a solution to it ?

Regarding the prices of RR and Bentley, I wonder why nobody rants about their prices as far as VFM they are probably at the bottom of the list. At the risk of repeating myself maybe its just that the Skoda's are beyond reach and they desperately want to own them as they are so desireable. A lot of car companies here tend to sacrifice power in their cars for India maybe to increase reliablilty to combat our extreme conditions, and also to improve fuel economy. No I do not work for Skoda!roomy2008-07-14 06:54:50