gkorgaon

SKODA RAPID FIRE ISSUE

Hi Friends,

I do not post regularly on any forums, hence please forgive me in case if I am posting this under a wrong thread/forum.

I want to share one of the worst experience I am going through, with SKODA & JMD – Bhandup.

I had a SKODA RAPID car (MH-07 Q 8922) which I bought from JMD – Thane in Oct’14 with 5yrs warranty.  This car was being regularly serviced as per the schedule and have been following all the recommendations and good practices which the JMD Bhandup Workshop Team had been sharing to me.

Unfortunately, the car had some issue with the Glow Plug Lamp indicator which kept flickering due to which I sent it to the Service Centre immediately the next day, to get it checked.   They returned it back to me after 10 days mentioning some wiring changes resolved the problem.

The ill and the worst part starts here.  The day the car was delivered to me by JMD Workshop Bhandup, after couple of hours while driving the bonet of the car started fuming and caught fire.  This all happened within a minute.   I literally survived and was lucky enough to get out of it before the doors might have got locked.  By the time we could do something and the fire brigade arrived the internal components of the bonet (engine and other components within bonet) were completely burned and damaged.  The car was towed the same day to Workshop where they examined and was concluded that the car is useless as all the internal components were damaged and was non-reparable. 

So far the root cause of the fire has not been identified and I’m just being informed that an internal short-circuit has caused this fire and there’s no manufacturing defect.  One thing I fail to understand here is, would SKODA and JMD just run away out of the issue mentioning “Short-Circuit” as a reason?  If the car was serviced and delivered the same day, wasn’t the wiring and other components tested before the car was delivered?  Or are these cars bound to happen such issues without any root cause??

I have claimed for a warranty and they have just denied for the warranty claim.  I reached out to SKODA directly to understand the root cause of the issue, but they have in-turn directed me to the same dealer.  Is there any way out to resolve this?  Please HELP!

Regards,

Gaurav Korgaonkar

@Gaurav, extremely sad to hear about your story.

However, you should thank your stars that you came out of our car just in time. Life is above everything else.

Skoda A.S.S has been notorious for various reasons. Since you mentioned that they had changed wiring so to me that looks like the culprit here.

Dealership will always try to wash their hands off of such cases but you should escalate this to highest possible channel within Skoda.

They need to come up with an answer as to why it happened.

Has your car been declared as total loss?

Please try below methods:

1. Post your issue on social media platforms like facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SkodaIndia/?fref=nf

2. Drop mail to MD of Skoda India (sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in), keep customer care and dealership people in copy

Edited by sachins

@sachins Thanks.  I am trying to post this to the maximum contacts I can.  Please share some contact details whom I can escalate this issue to.

Yes, the car has been declared total loss and the Service Centre is insisting me to go for an Insurance claim rather than Warranty claim which hardly helps me.  I still have an ongoing  Car loan which is again taken by Wolkswagen Finance and if I go with Insurance settlement, almost 50% of the amount goes to WF.  So I am hardly left with anything, with which I cannot go for another car.

@gkorgaon Its very sad to hear about the issue. Since the SKODA and VOLKSWAGEN are providing same engine there are issues with glow plug in their car generally. Also I would just like to ask that how much kilometer was your car driven . Sometimes the heating also happens because of The EGR bypass, which is generally done after 10000 kms. Also they use high grade of synthetic engine oil which is of very high quality. There must be some technical fault in the engine and it cannot be just a short-circuit. Also there had been problem with SKODA dealerships that they had not been able to provide quality service within time and there are always discrepancy from their side. Recently there had been a SKODA OCTAVIA customer who bought the new Octavia in 2016 but from the first day there had been sound in the suspension, to which he complained but SKODA said that it is out of their understanding.

Very sad to know about this issue. You can also ask Autocar to help you out, they usually take up such cases with the manufacturer. Simply email the details on helpline@autocarindia.com 

4 hours ago, gkorgaon said:

@sachins Thanks.  I am trying to post this to the maximum contacts I can.  Please share some contact details whom I can escalate this issue to.

Drop mail to MD of Skoda India (sudhir.rao@skoda-auto.co.in), keep customer care and dealership people in copy

Please try this number..+919920198244.

Try to get the repaired  as early as possible, under warrant/insurance. We cannot reverse what had happened. All service centre are similar here. (not only Skoda). Take the use of Skoda app on smartphone and see what it will do for you.

These same kind a issue happened to me a day ago there was kinda short circuit and smoke came out from the bonnet. Today the survey of the car happened and they quoted me approx Rs 30-40k as all the wire were burnt my car is under warranty and also have a insurance. The skoda people are saying the wireing doesnt come under warranty and nor in insurance so i will have to bear the cost. A month back i had gone to the service centre for a complaint of some noise and vibration from the engine and suspension they said it is normal and will go away after comtinues driving for 25-30 mins,now i feel that there was already some defects a month back but they ignored. 

Really upset with skoda brand it is a big disappointment.

any one who has a knowledge about this please help me.