ankjain

Auto Transmissions

Greetings all,

My father is looking to buy a C-Segment / Upper C-Segment car (under INR 12.5 Lakhs) with Automatic transmission (he has a bad lower back). I'm listing down some options we are going to look at. Would appreciate your comments and inputs on any models here, or those I've missed out

1. Honda City

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla H1

4. Skoda Octavia

5. Mahindra Scorpio (I saw the AT version in Auto Expo '08 - not sure its in the market yet)

The car would be running ~2,000 kms a month in Delhi traffic.

Thanks!

Ankur

Apart from the Scorpio (different vehicle and lower in comfort by a mile) all are excellent choices. The non turbo charged engines (i.e. Honda/Toyota) have a more linear power delivery, but it really drives down to personal preferences. On the other hand 25,000km per annum is in favour of a diesel. It goes way beyond your budget otherwise I would have recommended the Laura DSG. Thus if you are for a diesel go for the Octavia, in the petrols I will go for the Civic/Corolla/City in that order. Do let us know what you decide on. 

The Octavia has a four speed auto, while the new Octavia (Laura in India) has a fantastic DSG 6-speed. Octavia also has an auto petrol, but I would not recommend that. If required for 29k you can add the Pete's box (a simple plug in) and up the output by 20% with no loss of fuel consumption. However, the engine ceases to be under warranty. What some people do is to unplug and remove the box when giving the car in!

Hey for that 2000km a month milege Skoda Octiva will be good but if you can take a loan or something then Laura elegance's DSG box is a wonder (18.5lakhs I think its too out for your budget but its the best tech).

Hey for that 2000km a month milege Skoda Octiva will be good but if you can take a loan or something then Laura elegance's DSG box is a wonder (18.5lakhs I think its too out for your budget but its the best tech).

thats close to Camry! hmmm a Camry is a Camry!

Yeah - doesn't the Octavia have an AT version?

i really dont wanna answer to this question and start a new thread against Skoda coz there are hundreds of them burried and sent to heaven for peace!

i really dont want Zavo to ask for popcorn while reading this thread too!

so i hope you understand what i mean without me saying it, if you dont you can search the forum for the threads that were murdered for good, you will enjoy them and btw dont forget to get the answer from those threads!

Ankur,

From your shortlisted vehicles CIVIC is the most modern and is available with padle shift auto transmission. honda city, corolla are due for change in 6 months to 1 year. Octavia diesel though a good choice if you put it agaist CIVIC I would say go for CIVIC.

Ankur' date='

From your shortlisted vehicles CIVIC is the most modern and is available with padle shift auto transmission. honda city, corolla are due for change in 6 months to 1 year. Octavia diesel though a good choice if you put it agaist CIVIC I would say go for CIVIC.
[/quote']

Agreed. Only the question is how important is fuel consumption. At 25k per annum he is the diesel territory. I doubt if his father will be keen on the paddle shift, esp. with town driving.

The point is max. 8-9kpl for petrol vs. 12+ kpl of diesel. The civic is brilliant no doubt except for the poor ground clearance. The Octavia by all accounts is built like a tank. As for the clutch quibbles (I do not go into real or imaginary) this will not be an issue with a auto box. Spares are not cheap for either but then one does not expect them to be in the C-segment.

I agree with sgiitk, for 2000kms a month, its got to be a diesel and the only diesel with an automatic in that price range out of your list is an Octavia. Which is a good car.

If you have no problems with filling petrol for an automatic, then its got to be the Civic without a doubt.

Civic is very good choice for the situation barring the fuel costs. For this, does anyone have an idea on when the hybrid model will hit the market? Am not sure of the pricing or release dates of the model (not expecting it to be below 15 lackhs).

And as an offshoot, is there a way to convert from manual transmission to auto transmission without major problems? I was thinking of the Optra Magnum and its ride quality compared to the Civic and hence this idea.

Camry being a CBU is priced 27 for manual and 29 for automatic 10 lakhs more or else we could have seen Accord and Camry too often which we don't.smiley36.gif

Camry being a CBU is priced 27 for manual and 29 for automatic 10 lakhs more or else we could have seen Accord and Camry too often which we don't.smiley36.gif

i doubt if the prices mentioned for Camry are correct? are they?

i don't know about aci magzines but what i checked with the dealers lately tells me

laura- 17.8 (auto)

camry- 23.6(auto)

delhi ex showroom prices....... these fig may not be exact but they are around this only as far as i remember

We are again seeing the problem in the forum. ankjain had put a budget limit of of 12.5lacs, and now we are arguing about cars costing twice as much. In my original response, I had stated "It goes way beyond your budget otherwise I would have recommended the Laura DSG.".

I suggest we try and keep to the framework of the original query!

Since you are primarily driving in city traffic i would say stick to City Automatic. It's got a super efficient motor and is also refined and is user friendly. Also it's not too big to be muscled around in bumper to bumper traffic.

@octane_100. (I had forgotten 100ON petrol since unleaded came insmiley2.gif).  I agree that the Civic Auto is an excellent car. The only issues are 25,000km per annum (8kpl of petrol vs 12+kpl of diesel), and the poor ground clearance. Speed bumps seem to be breeding like flies these days. 

sgiitk2008-03-28 09:02:30

@octane_100. (I had forgotten 100ON petrol since unleaded came insmiley2.gif).  I agree that the Civic Auto is an excellent car. The only issues are 25' date='000km per annum (8kpl of petrol vs 12+kpl of diesel), and the poor ground clearance. Speed bumps seem to be breeding like flies these days.  [/quote']

Hey, i mentioned the CITY not the Civic....for exactly the same reasons u've quoted....