ankjain

Auto Transmissions

A QUERY:

I would like to know which auto transmissions in India, if any,  have a clutch/torque converter lockup. This will improve the economy significantly.

I presume the Laura DSG is one!

FRG / 325i may be able to advise

sgiitk2008-05-08 06:00:13

If your dad will be driving the car and if money spent on petrol is not an issue would suggest Civic as Its better than a corolla in all aspects and corolla is getting replaced soon and the other option City is not worth considering against a Civic .If your dad is not driving the car and you mind kmpl go for the octavia . Scorpio is not a good option for city use compared to the cars

A QUERY:

I would like to know which auto transmissions in India' date=' if any,  have a clutch/torque converter lockup. This will improve the economy significantly.

I presume the Laura DSG is one!

FRG / 325i may be able to advise
[/quote']

You presume right. DSG transmission doesn't have a torque converter. It operates on twin clutches.

You presume right. DSG transmission doesn't have a torque converter. It operates on twin clutches.

Part of my query was which auto transmissions in India have a clutch lockup? It need not be fully Sequential.

I had stated that DSG was one. DSG itself stands for Dual Sequential Gearbox, which is of import only in manuals.

sgiitk2008-05-12 06:56:27

well by the way even the bugatti uses a 7 speed DSG

My dear friend we are talking of normal cars in Mera Bharat Mahan, and not supercars!! If one can afford a Bugatti one can also have a few oil wells of his own, so consumption is immaterial.

For slow speed (stop go traffic) you must have some means like the torque converter. At higher speeds if there is a lockup then you do not lose economy. This is the simple reason for my query. We all tend to try and economise by shifting up asap. I sometimes go to fifth in my Accent at 25-35kph.

sgiitk2008-05-23 11:18:09

wait for new corolla , due in july , aug. suspension should be good . civic is a low car , difficult getting in & out . octavia has the same problem plus its a genaration old car. laura is the new octy worldwide.

@speed. I have a feeling you have not followed the full thread. Threads tend to evolve, and the original post is far behind us.

sgiitk2008-05-23 18:42:08

Ouch!!
25~35 is normally when I shift from 2nd to 3rd!!
Well I upshift to third at 20kmph for smooth ride .I am a revver and a calm type of driver .Sometimes I rev hard in first to 25kmph and then put a light foot to 3 rd gear .It keeps the traffic behind smiley36.gif.

By the way when did Hyundai last say about i10 A/T .Its coming in Era trim but when!!!!

well by the way even the bugatti uses a 7 speed DSG

My dear friend we are talking of normal cars in Mera Bharat Mahan' date=' and not supercars!! If one can afford a Bugatti one can also have a few oil wells of his own, so consumption is immaterial.

For slow speed (stop go traffic) you must have some means like the torque converter. At higher speeds if there is a lockup then you do not lose economy. This is the simple reason for my query. We all tend to try and economise by shifting up asap. I sometimes go to fifth in my Accent at 25-35kph.
[/quote']

ok....

Audi A4 and passat has the same 6 speed DSG as laura.......

@Vibhor whose post are you reffering to ! WELL India has no competition with A/T transmission infact one can hardly find one . The car's slated to be launched with auto are the Captiva ,i10 ,Optra ,Endeavor & Cedia.

@Vibhor whose post are you reffering to ! WELL India has no competition with A/T transmission infact one can hardly find one . The car's slated to be launched with auto are the Captiva ' date='i10 ,Optra ,Endeavor & Cedia.[/quote']

Yes and no. Once you enter the Accord, Camry segment the auto is the transmission of choice. At the low end you have (or used to ave) the Zen (then WagonR),  Santro (hopefully with the i10 to follow) and Esteem (no more), then the City. Nothing in between.

If ATs are to become popular efficiency is a must, that is why I raised the issue of clutch/torque converter lock-up.

With city traffic becoming more and more of a pain, more Auto's are inevitable.

sgiitk2008-05-29 07:20:45