prasanth.mdu

PALIO Stile Diesel vs MARUTI SWIFT VDi

The Palio looks dated and the new Palio is due in 2010 according to Fiat sources.Please refer to my thread Fiat Plans in India 2008-2010 here.

The Punto when launched here will see real heat in the market vis a vis the Swift.

And lastly, the Fiat Punto with the famed 1.3 L multijet diesel is the car that revived  Fiat's fortunes  internationally. A few years back Fiat was on the brink of bankruptcy.

I think in reliability palio wins hands down..the only down side is FE and spares cost..
No Mr.Sapphire' date=' You had confused Palio Multijet with old Palio Diesel. Fiat Palio Engine is same as Swift Engine. So, the FE must be same as Swift. I think mileage would be 22-25 kmpl in highway.[/quote'] I think the Fe will be less Palio is 450 odd kg heaveir than swift.smiley36.gif

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif Mr.RSSH!! I agree that you are swift lover. But don't underestimate or blame other car people.

SWIFT Weight: http://www.marutiswift.com/specificationdiesel.aspx

PALIO Weight Spec: http://www.fiat-india.com/fiat_showroom/palio_multijet/multijet_techspec_space.aspx

Both Palio & Swift are same kerb weight of 1,065 Kg. Where had you find palio was extra 500 kg?

ACCORDING TO ME, PALIO is 1000 Times better than Swift as it was providing good leg space & boot space than swift with same weight of swift.

Hey sorry to mention that the gross weight of Palio is 300kg more than Swift because it has more boot carring capacity than Swift and the the top end version is more heavier .

No doubt palio has got tough build and is over engineered to withstand

3rd world conditions, but the interior fit and finish is very poor. The

quality of plastics have taken a downturn (especially compared to the

previous iteration of the palio), i think these are now locally made;

then the fascia itself looks very tasteless and is more of the colour

of milkybar chocolate than nay beige. I decided to ignore all these and

was hell bent on buying a palio 1.6 and visited the tata showroom. The

response and the knowledge of the sales person was appalling. She was

trying to sell me the 1.1 inspite of my telling her that i am not

interested in that. she said "this is 1.1 cc (yes 1.1 cc) sir, why

don't you go for this? if you want to buy 1. 6 then you have to order

for that but i don't have a demo car and i cannot arrange for one".

Overall if you compare swift and palio as cars, then i will certainly

go for the swift just because of the superior fit and finish and an

overall feeling that  i am sitting in a nicer car (i hate the

swift in absolute terms), it is a better package than the palio without

the rear wiper and all....

Yeah! the Tata guys never have 1.6lt demo one and once ordered for test drive they gave all excuses for not having one and one fine day they had the 1.6lt but then I refused for test drive (about a month later).

Yeah! the Tata guys never have 1.6lt demo one and once ordered for test drive they gave all excuses for not having one and one fine day they had the 1.6lt but then I refused for test drive (about a month later).

I guess they give out the cars for test drive, which have actually come for service. when i visited they only had 1.6 for a test drive when i asked for 1.1 for the test drive. when i told them i have already had 1.6 test drive, they said its exactly the same but for difference in pick up, how senseless this statement can be and he expected me to book the car only from this statement without a test drive, i said boss wake up!

Hey folks,

I did test drive the Palio diesel multi jet last week. New grille,, new fiat logo in red , a slight change in tail lamps are the few external changes.

--The car is great, handles well.

--Engine , as everybody knows, is one of the best diesel engines around, which even the swift has. Was not surprised by its power and less noise, which is the same case as the swift.

H/ever, the gearbox is not very smooth or as effortless as the swift's gearbox.

Interiors are compltetly outdated and is pathetic that you dont even get an electronic meter.

A.C effect is not all that great.

all in all, palio is still a very good car with a great engine, but not good enough to beat the swift. The price difference between the top end versions of swift's VDI and SDX of the palio is just 10,000 in bangalore. Also the cost of ownership which includes maintenance, spare parts is better in a swift than a tata backed fiat.

And mr.prashant--> you were talking about comfort levels. Let me tell you something, it is not like we are comparing the palio to the alto. The swift is nearly as good as the palio in comfort. I think it is better due to its high stance and the rear seats have better thigh support than the palio. The palio is very sporty, but the swift more practical. The boot space is nearly the same. Swift has 232 litres and the palio approx 245.

I have decided to stick to my decision of buying the swift VDI.

And mr.prashant--> you were talking about comfort levels. Let me tell you something' date=' it is not like we are comparing the palio to the alto. The swift is nearly as good as the palio in comfort. I think it is better due to its high stance and the rear seats have better thigh support than the palio. The palio is very sporty, but the swift more practical. The boot space is nearly the same. Swift has 232 litres and the palio approx 245.[/quote']

Let me say that the rear space in a Palio is more spacious than a swift. I don't think 3 people can sit comfortably in the back of a swift. The short rear window also adds to this effect and makes the rear of a swift claustrophobic. I find the Palio much more spacious.

I agree that the swift is more practical beacuse of its resale and ASS but the Palio scores in the driving experience and its build quality. I am ready to forego a few days more at the garage for a much better driving experience the other days.

Finally, I don't like the looks of the Swift, it's rear is plain ugly to me. But looks are personal.

I drove the swift vxi yesterday and I think that it gives you an amazing big car feel considering its dimensions the car had done 35k and was still very good. Also found out the price of a winder unit with motor and found it very reasonable. Bravo Maruti!

The price difference of about 42000 is quite big enough. Secondly, the 2 tone dashboard also looks very attractive. With the same engine and almost instant delivery makes it a better choice. With this difference in cost one can think of alloy wheels and other accessories. What you say folks.

good and bad bits of both ....

GOOD BITS... PALIO ...

1 . tough build

2 . great space

3 . big boot

4 . better ride

BAD BITS ...PALIO ....

1 . poor after sale service ( compared to swift )

2 . dated looks ( but to me still looks better than swift )

GOOD BITS ..SWIFT...

1 . good after sale service

2 . good handling

3 . better fuel economy ( although it depends on ur driving style )

BAD BITS ..SWIFT ....

1 . poor build quality

2 . poor passenger space

3 . poor boot space

4 . ride not as great as palio

5 . as common as alto ..dont know it a good thing or bad

6 . dull dark interiors...now looks dated too

7 . costlier than palio ...dont why it is ..

so for me ...palio is much much better hatch in diesel as petrol than swift ....swift sells because its a maruti ...not because its the best hatch ....

palio does not sell much because of not great after sale service of fiat ..although its a better car than swift ...rishi-del2009-06-07 18:43:27