FuelRunGod

Vote for the best Indian Automag?

Which is the best Indian Automag?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Indian Automag?

Ill be honest. Every month, about 200 of my hard-earned (ok, taken from pop) rupees would be set aside for three magazines - Autocar, TopGear and Car. Now I have a cabinetful. Ill make a good buck as an automotive raddhiwala.

My take on the mags available:

Overdrive (8/10): Improved a lot since a certain someone left. Good focus on Indian motorsport, the best amongst any others, and for that alone, they should be lauded. However, their road tests and the presentation of them leave a lot to be desired. I really don;t like the format they use.

Top Gear (4/10): Really dont see the point of this magazine. If you look at it as a cheaper way to get the original TG articles, then fine, but as a source for anything Indian, it is rubbish.

Car India (6/10): I like the photography in this. Very slickly done. But again, I am not a fan of a few key people running the show, and the way they present themselves in the magazine. Its a good mag for reading while waiting at the Doctors clinic or airport.

BS Motoring (6/10): A bit lost really. No serious testing done (" 0-100 in ABOUT 12 seconds" !!!), but just seems like a bunch of enthusiasts having a good time, which comes across in their writing. nice light reading. I personally like the driving/riding impressions of imports in India.

Auto India (1/10): Not sure if anyone actually buys this anymore. And rightly so. nuff said.

Autocar (9/10): No, not sucking up coz of the forum, but it is genuinely the best out there right now. Sharp writing, good technical details, good test format, good mix of international and national coverage. Indian motorsport coverage needs to be improved a lot though, and so does the focus on 2 wheelers.

@Rtech: Couldnt agree more dude, especially on the TG bit, I feel like Im scamming TGUK a little, seeing as how theres so much of their content in there. But I am a fan of it, no doubt. Especially the Clarkson column. Oh, and Ms. Parker Bowles.smiley1.gif

I voted for BSMotoring

Without taking permission for Rtech, copying you, sorry, but you had a nicely done outlay, so... hope you forgive me...

Anyway

BS Motoring (8/10): LOVE THE HUMOUR. Usually carries a lot of Bike articles, vintage, classic. Also covers lots of upcoming custom builders (For instance, twice covered Vardenchi), lots of bikes from the Mumbai guys. Good eye Candy, always good for a laugh

Autocar (7/10): The Mag that got me hooked to bikes. Introduced me to Vincent, Apollo, Drysdale, Bruiser, and every thing I am interested now. If not for Autocar, maybe I would not have been a biker.

But that was then, upto 2002. Since 2003, absolutely no International Bike coverage say barring a Ducati 1098 or a Kwack ZZR. Thing is, they cover only new bikes and no more legends, so... its #2 for me.

Overdrive (4/10) : Since I am a Biker, and there is hardly any news, forget scoop. Also the paper quality is not upto the mark. Covers a lot of Racing, never understood why these cars and bikes keep on going on the same track hour after hour

Top Gear (0/10): Looks like a Glamour mag with mostly foreign cars. The camera angles or more the camera man focusses more on the curves always forgeting to give a total picture. Well, there are lots more on the free net, so why Top Gear.

Car India (1/10): Yes, good photography. Car mag, so no opinion

Auto India (5/10): Good ol Auto India in its 13th year. have survived evrything. Cheap, poor photo quality, good Classifieds, outdated specs, its a mixture. Covers Classics and Vintages, so love it. Can always expect a Classic section, no matter how bad the pics are

Bike India (.../10) Started out very well, covering rare motorcycles (Instance, the NEANDER) and lots of Indian Custom bikes, but again that was 1 year back. Lately, nothing new except whatever is in the forum already. No scoops, usually covers lots of Japanese litre plastic bikes, dont like plastics, prefer Europeans, not that I can afford these bikes, neither can I afford the Jap litres, so.... But its a BIKE mag, no biased opinion, so no voting and anyway, not covered in the poll

My wallet gets light for Autocar, Top Gear and Bike India. I read all the magazines in my office but still buy these two for my personal collection. Jeremy Clarksons writeup in Top Gear is truly worth reading.

My wallet gets light for Autocar' date=' Top Gear and Bike India. I read all the magazines in my office but still buy these two for my personal collection. Jeremy Clarksons writeup in Top Gear is truly worth reading.[/quote']

Fan of Jeremy Clarkson, Signature says Ferrari is God disguised, Humph smiley7.gif How come you are a Born Biker?

Best thing for you is to give the 200 to me..smiley36.gifsmiley2.gif and you can have my Palio

Well, my choice BIKE India, wasnt on the list, so I took the liberty voting for the next best mag which carries decent Bike Stuff, which is BSM....

Having said that, I would like to say here that even BIKE, or BSM for that matter have a long way to go before they can touch the intl ones, but heck cant complain with whats on your plate, so those 2 it is I guess!

No offense to the rest of the participants, its just that none of the other mags  carry any decent bike stuff!

As a matter of fact, what say we all pool in and start one?    cc Diesel, Zavo, Hawk, FRG (surprise entrant!) smiley36.gif

BS motoring. Plain and simple. If I wanted a tech-spec pot pourri, d rather go to the nearest dealership and pick a brochure up. Wont cost a dime.

BSM has something in them that separates them from most of the rest. And thats heart. They genuinely are having a great time doing what they do (not implying that the rest arent; but if you are, sires, it aint that apparent.) and not filling in reports coz its their job. Plus, m a fan of ranting.

BTW, anyone checked out Monoshock, the e-mag? You just may see some familiar faces in there... smiley2.gif

er sorry, I know its OT, but now that Synner has mentioned it,  by all means check out http://monoshock.in  , its got some good stuff, fledgling bike e mag, some good guys running it, and of  course our very own FIRST SYNN is one of the columnists, thats right folks, we have a celebrity in our midst! smiley36.gif

well for me its Overdrive all the way!!...it has got more detailed reports but the main problem is the sky-high mileage claims of cars/bikes!!>..in that case the Autocar seems to be a better bet...but AC cud do wid more detailed reviews as wider coverage on various automotive news!!

Its Autocar anyday. OD reviews are lots of words and thats why they seem more detailed. Autocar writes less but says more at the end. Theres no fence sitting either. The Vitara / CRV in the July issue said it straight. no confusing readers. thats why autocar thrills me. only wishing that they would not do so much travel stories. castrol sponsoring is so obvious in the bike feature

Autocar India all the way.  I'm away from India most of the time, but I always get the latest copy of AI whenever I come home.  I started reading auto mags from my school days and I have been a fan Mr. Sorabjee's articles and test drives in "Auto India". 

Some magazines are too tech-savvy and laymen enthusiasts like me do not need that extra information.  On the other hand some magazines are too basic and there's hardly anything to read in them.  So I tried a lot of magazines and ended up with Autocar, and I'm quite happy with that.  The test drives are honest and easily understood by anyone.  When you get to see the actual car after reading the test drive, you will know for sure how accurate the information was. The performance and mileage figures are in real world terms and so we can easily take that as a reference. And most often than not scoops of latest arrivals always come first in Autocar. 

I have watched a lot of Top Gear shows while in the UK, so I didn't even bother buying their mag.  You know what to expect in it.  They are really biased towards European brands and have no inhibitions about saying that aloud.  As an Indian who misses out a lot of what's happening here, I would like to know more about how my sweet India is fairing, rather than about the latest offing from the Ferrari stable. 

Kudos to you guys at Autocar India, keep up the good work and thanks for giving us a great website too!

Jitz